how to connect 2 arcs? what is the correct way?

I tried to connect these arcs together as you can see on the red arrows but they didn't look smooth, i use 3 points arc and another mothod was circle command. How would you guys do it?

Arc.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sengna

• Dana W

• steven-g

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would 'join' be useable, if the arcs are segments from the same circle it will work, but selecting in the correct order could be an issue.

Arc's drawn from the Arc command won't join. They are not the same as pure polyline arcs. You can select the arcs one at a time and change them to polylines. Select an arc. enter the command pedit (Polyline Edit) You will be prompted "Do you want to change it to one?" Answer Y. However, to join polylines, they have to be already touching, snapped to each other. You are probably better off simply tracing over them with a LONGER arc and erasing the original ones.

Would 'join' be useable, if the arcs are segments from the same circle it will work, but selecting in the correct order could be an issue.
T

Thanks Steven-g, Join command works for the solid line, they joined smoothly, however hidden line won't (it said: o arcs joined to source, 1 obj discarded from operation), or i can make them poliline first and join then turn to hidden.

It is not very clear to me which arcs you are connecting and how. I can see the red arrows but can't work out what is happening. There are quite a few arcs in the picture.

Without knowing what you want to accomplish, I would tend to use a circle and trim afterwards in most cases.

Sengna: How about attaching a copy of the drawing to your next post? Maybe the answer is staring us in the face and we just don't know it yet.

Arc's drawn from the Arc command won't join.
OH yes they do, but they have to have a common centre and same radius, the OP,s image looks like it is segments of a circle that need "rejoining". And I tested it with a hidden line type that works as well. BUT the arcs have to be the same radius and have a common centre point, otherwise it will fail

Arc's drawn from the Arc command won't join.

They will join in newer releases. And a single arc can be closed using the Join command.

It is not very clear to me which arcs you are connecting and how. I can see the red arrows but can't work out what is happening. There are quite a few arcs in the picture.

Without knowing what you want to accomplish, I would tend to use a circle and trim afterwards in most cases.

hi, eldon, please see attach, i tried to join: arc A with A1, B with B1 ......and so on, i use the method as Steven-g suggested, it works well and smooth join for continue line but can't for hidden or segment arc. I still don't know how to attach DWG file via the forumz Remark.

A1.jpg

Another simple method (again relying on both arcs having the same centre and radius) is just highlight one of the arcs and drag the end around until it snaps to the far side of the second arc, ok it's not actually joining, but at least visually it does the same, and you can always delete the unwanted arc afterwards.

OH yes they do, but they have to have a common centre and same radius, the OP,s image looks like it is segments of a circle that need "rejoining". And I tested it with a hidden line type that works as well. BUT the arcs have to be the same radius and have a common centre point, otherwise it will fail
Oh, yeah, there is that one case. I gotta figure that doesn't happen a lot by accident. Usually they would be the result of a trim, probably.

Anyway, like rkent says, after they join at one end, join again, select the Close option, and bingo, you have a circle.

They will join in newer releases. And a single arc can be closed using the Join command.
And there's this case. Phooie, I'm not battin' 1000 right now am I? I really have to update my software.

Which version of Autocad that will do this feature?

looks like i can use circle command using the same center point, the arcs will not exactly match with the original arc but close

[ATTACH]47701[/ATTACH]

The circle will absolutely, and without any variation, land exactly on top of the arcs if the center and radius is the same.

What in the world is going on in that drawing? There's about a half meg of notes and things on OFF layers. Well, you have plenty of layers now. :wink: I zoomed extents and phhhhhhwwwwwp - nothing visible.

Are you just practicing in an old dwg? It's OK, just wondering.

hi, eldon, please see attach, i tried to join: arc A with A1, B with B1 ......and so on, i use the method as Steven-g suggested, it works well and smooth join for continue line but can't for hidden or segment arc. I still don't know how to attach DWG file via the forumz Remark.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47698[/ATTACH]

News flash: A and A1 are not arcs, they are lines, a bunch of short little lines. C and C1 have hugely different radii.

Another way to make the radii sort of join is to draw a vertical line in the open space between them, from anywhere above them to anywhere below them and use the EXTEND command to extend the arcs to the line, then erase the line. If the arcs have common centers and equal radii, they will meet the line at common points.

News flash: A and A1 are not arcs, they are lines, a bunch of short little lines. C and C1 have hugely different radii.

Another way to make the radii sort of join is to draw a vertical line in the open space between them, from anywhere above them to anywhere below them and use the EXTEND command to extend the arcs to the line, then erase the line. If the arcs have common centers and equal radii, they will meet the line at common points.

Extend command works well too, thanks Dana W