Testing my computers performance on Revit before my training!

Glen1980

Right, training starts tomorrow but I've downloaded the trial to try and evaluate the performance of my computer before we get our copies of Premium Building Design Suite. As my previous thread on upgrading my machine http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?85439-Revit-Hardware I just want to see how revit performs to judge what needs upgrading or whether upgrading will be enough.

I'm in the sample project and can swap between the preset views but how do I get into the Revit equivilent of model space so I can navigate around the model to assess the graphics card capabilities.

Is there anywhere that you know where I can download larger smaple projects to see how it works with apartment blocks are large housing developments?

Right, training starts tomorrow but I've downloaded the trial to try and evaluate the performance of my computer before we get our copies of Premium Building Design Suite. As my previous thread on upgrading my machine http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?85439-Revit-Hardware I just want to see how revit performs to judge what needs upgrading or whether upgrading will be enough.

I'm in the sample project and can swap between the preset views but how do I get into the Revit equivilent of model space so I can navigate around the model to assess the graphics card capabilities.

Is there anywhere that you know where I can download larger smaple projects to see how it works with apartment blocks are large housing developments?

To access the 3D view of Revit, if you look along the top of Revit, you'll see a 3D House. Click on that, and you'll be the 3D view.

Also, you'll want to open up the Project Browser: Revit is an entirely different way of working to AutoCAD in every sense of the word different! You'll be working through the Project Browser primarily.

Cool, cheers mate.

I remembered a few bits from the demo they gave us but couldn't find that. I doubt they call it model space but thought that might help people better than saying thingummy!

I don't suppose you know of any large databases that are free downloads so I can see how much of an upgrade I'd need?

None that I'm aware of I'm afraid. I'd Google something, but can't atm.

Edited by PotGuy
What's agraid?

Right, training starts tomorrow

Congrats!!!

larger smaple projects

Sounds delicious.

As to the testing of your machine. If the training is in-house, ask the instructor to do some things on it that will put Revit through stuff that can bog down a machine that's not quite up to specs.

Sounds delicious.

Sounds sweet and sticky doesn't it :shock:

As to the testing of your machine. If the training is in-house, ask the instructor to do some things on it that will put Revit through stuff that can bog down a machine that's not quite up to specs.

It's in house but they are providing the workstations. I might ask to borrow a large database and see how it runs. I did find a advanced M&E sample in Revit and that was a little clunky. All I can do at the moment is navigate and select stuff. With the amount of other work on at the moment I'm not inclined to play, not at least until Thursday after my training!

Any View that's not a Drafting View is the "Modelspace" equivalent in AutoCAD, since Views in Revit are a snapshot of the model. The only difference is that you have a more intuitive way of "accessing the Modelspace". Revit wants first to know what type of View you want to dive into, because each View has it's own set of inherent properties and functionality, based on a preexisting set of parameters (eg: what level you want to be on in a floor plan).

Here are your different "types" of "Modelspace" Views:

• Floor Plan
  • Reflected Ceiling Plan
  • Structural Plan
  • Elevation
  • Section
  • Callout (Linked Enlarged View)
  • 3D View

On the Ribbon if you go to the View Tab > Create Panel, you'll see all your Views tools. That gets you started. :)

Hope this was clear enough. -Tannar