Crop an AutoCAD Drawing

dezza1991

Hello all,

First time poster here. I've got a large AutoCAD drawing compiled with about 4 different layers. Now I want just a section of it, and nothing else. I was wondering if it's possible to crop what I want (inside the white box area) and delete the rest. If so, which tool do I use?

I'm using AutoCAD 2013

Please refer to the image attached.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks!

Do you want to completely get rid of the stuff outside of your new area? Is this a 3D drawing?

If it is 2D you can draw a closed outline around the area you want to keep, and use the trim command to disconnect the lines outside the shape. Then erase what is left over outside the shape. That is the simple way.

If it is 3D, it can also be trimmed, but I am not sure of the methodology.

Make a copy of the original first.

Note. Lines inside defined blocks will not trim. Exploding a block is the only way to trim them.

Alternatively, you could use it as an XREF and clip it in the referencing drawing. Thus leaving the original file intact.

I was also going to suggest the XCLIP command. Seems the least messy way t do what you want.

I like that one too. Boy that is one HUGE concentrated drawing.

....If it is 2D you can draw a closed outline around the area you want to keep, and use the trim command .....

extrim command, but in this case looks a bit more involved.

JD extrim works but only trims around the pline so you still have to delete lots of stuff, cookie cutter kills all external stuff in one go. I think MAP may have an option also to crop but never used it.

JD extrim works but only trims around the pline so you still have to delete lots of stuff, cookie cutter kills all external stuff in one go. I think MAP may have an option also to crop but never used it.

The map command is "maptrim" and allows internal or exterior trim. The original cookiecutter was an express tool but I don't see it there anymore.