I'm not a Novice! - the 'status' debate

CADTutor

PotGuy,....Nor is it necessary to post a random thought or opinion....

No posting rules pertaining to this has ever needed to be in place. I guess it may be time to at least bring up the topic over in the feedback section.

I am so glad that someone else noticed this incessant drizzle. PotGuy was commenting on getting up to 500 posts the other day, and I thought that if only those posts with technical content were included, his post count might just get up to 5 or 6. :o

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• ReMark

• PotGuy

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so glad that someone else noticed this incessant drizzle. PotGuy was commenting on getting up to 500 posts the other day, and I thought that if only those posts with technical content were included, his post count might just get up to 5 or 6. :o

Chat posts aren't counted, so I have made 500 technical posts. (If they were I may have another 500 or more!) I doubt however a lot of them were too helpful though. Maybe 50...?

No, that's not mega-sore-ass which is a completely different forum.
Oh, I've witnessed that title being earned a number of times herein.:lol:

The title 'Novice' Is the only one without a direct reference to membership attached to it until the 'Luminous Being' level, but Luminous Beings are pretty much comfortable with their status.

Maybe a new entry level title with 'Member' included might fix the issue

I'm surprised people are offended by being called a 'newbie'. It doesn't make an ounce of difference to their actual skill, and if they're active they'll quickly lose it anyway. :unsure:

Besides, when I joined it was accurate!

if only those posts with technical content were include

Chat posts aren't counted, so I have made 500 technical posts.

"technical content".... In other words, the opposite of posting "CooL" to a topic that had been inactive for more than 2 years...

"technical content".... In other words, the opposite of posting "CooL" to a topic that had been inactive for more than 2 years...

Ah, the sticking point...

Edited by PotGuy

PotGuy, what is your motivation behind constantly resurrecting old threads like this? It clogs the New Post feeds with unnecessary threads, not to mention you're not contributing to them at all. Nor is it necessary to post a random thought or opinion in all these archived threads.

No posting rules pertaining to this has ever needed to be in place. I guess it may be time to at least bring up the topic over in the feedback section.

I agree with everything you said Tannar, but unless we start closing old threads, I'm not sure how to stop people from doing this? I suppose we could create a rule regarding Necroposting, but it's still up to the individual to adhere to the rule.

Maybe a new entry level title with 'Member' included might fix the issue

See, that's how old this thread really is. That title was changed a long time ago from "Novice" to "Forum Newbie" in order to make it known that the member is a "Newbie" to the "Forum", not necessarily to Autocad. But since this old thread was resurrected, it has prompted an unnecessary discussion of something that has already been resolved several years ago.

Zombiepost

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43999[/ATTACH]

Well said nestly! :beer:

When the number of posts is the primary goal, as opposed to

offering some needed assistance in a timely fashion, then

we are bound to encounter this proclivity for necromancy,

and reparte. And the overall value of the forum goes down, as the meaningful

content becomes diluted, and obscured by ancient history, and rehashing of problems long solved. :|

But hey, it is not in the chat forum, so it counts, right?

Edited by Dadgad

as a totally irrelevant side issue, my browser has gone permanently into "compatibility mode" for this web site. Not a big issue in itself but it does mean I don't get any posting dates so it is impossible for me to get any idea of time scale involved other than knowing the first and most recent posting.

I think that's just part and parcel with compatibility mode. Probably disables some features like that in order to get the page to run, even if it is quite a basic feature.

Is there any way it can be switched back to normal?

• 4 weeks later...
Curently the user titles are as follows:

Novice 0-9 posts

Junior Member 10-24 posts

Full Member 25-99 posts

Senior Member 100-499 posts

Super Member 500-1999 posts

Forum Deity 2000-4999 posts

Luminous Being 5000 and above

Any suggestions for changes to these or additional categories will be considered. Basically we can have as many as we like and decide how many posts are requited for each.

Let me know what you think.

I also think that having more titles, spaced out at maybe every 500 posts might be nice. Just to have a little more variety. It's a long haul from 500 to 2000, and even further from 2000 to 5000.

I know these are old quotes ('07), but if the same structure applies I do think we should have a smaller post spacing, as variety is always a nice thing to have and as pointed out a 1,500 and 2,000 gap between two 'ranks' is a large space.

I'm thinking something that builds up to 'Forum Deity' and 'Luminous being' respectively and quite literally halves the posts required between them.

500 - 1,249 - 'Welcomed Deity' (If you can think of a more suiting Deity based name please add it below!)

2,000 - 2,999 - 'Enlightened being' (If you can think of a more suiting Being based name please add it below!)

Having this kind of spacing isn't so close that members will be able to easily 'pad posts' without properly contributing to the Forums as an attempt to do so would quickly be picked up, but it does at least give the titles a little more variety and 'freshness'.

Disclaimer: I know that some of you guys are worried that I just post to boost my post count. I can understand that. Please bear in mind though that this is not what I aim to do. Stepping back shortly after my last post on this Thread and sifting through some of my earlier posts I agree that some of my posts were unhelpful or otherwise 'padding' as I adopt the equivalent of a 'Post Out Loud' outlook which does lead to accidental thread resurrections and less than helpful contributions. (Just take a look at some of my Chat posts for some of my POL posts!)

For that I apologise and have been taking a much more careful stance over posting, which I hope has been noticed by those who had picked up on my earlier posting tendencies.

The current rankings all require at least doubling the requirements of the previous rank... if there's to be any added, it should be at 10K or 20K.

That quote from me is 6 years old. I really don't think we need more user titles, I think the titles just need to be spaced out more.

Here is my idea for a possible restructuring of the user titles:

Novice 0-9 posts

Junior Member 10-24 posts - Change to 10-99

Full Member 25-99 posts - Change to 100-999

Senior Member 100-499 posts - Change to 1000-2499

Super Member 500-1999 posts - Change to 2500-4999

Forum Deity 2000-4999 posts - Change to 5000-9999

Luminous Being 5000 and above - Change to 10000 and above

Edited by Cad64
Edited to prevent confusion

That quote from me is 6 years old. I really don't think we need more user titles, I think the titles just need to be spaced out more.

Novice 0-9 posts

Junior Member 10-99 posts

Full Member 100-499 posts

Senior Member 500-2499 posts

Super Member 2500-4999 posts

Forum Deity 5000-9999 posts

Luminous Being 10000 and above

I did acknowledge that, so I'm not particularly surprised things have changed. It's nice to know what the posts spacings are now though.

I did not say that's what the post spacings are now. I said that I think that's what they should be. My post was nothing more than a suggestion of a possible change. I will edit my post to make sure there is no further confusion.

I did not say that's what the post spacings are now. I said that I think that's what they should be. My post was nothing more than a suggestion of a possible change. I will edit my post to make sure there is no further confusion.

Ah, OK. Sorry Cad64. :)