Elec Device Load Categories

Bharlow1986

I have my own tool palette set up for elec devices. as of now when i insert a device (receptacle, light fixture, etc.) the load category comes in as undefined. I would like to have it so that receptacles come in on the receptacles load category etc.. I went into the file pathed from my tool pallete to the actual device drawings we have, i selected my devices, went to style manager and changed the load category to receptacles. when i brought in a device then clicked on it and went to CIRCUIT PROPERTIES, it still said undefined. BUT, when i clicked the same device and went to style manager it was on the correct receptacles load category. Am i skipping a step somewhere?

I am away on vacation right now so I can't try and reproduce what you are doing, but is it the system that is undefined or the load category when you are checking it in the properties box?

The load category. The system is correct on the power and lighting. But for some reason i cant get my receptacles to come in with the receptacles load category, it comes in undefined every time.

Shouldn't receptacles technically be on the power load category? I'm not familiar with AutoCAD MEP on the electrical side, so this is just a general observation.

The SYSTEM is power and lighting. Load category specifies how much demand is put on each device. So u cud say that when ur load category is set to "motors" or whatever it may be, that all motors will be loaded at 80%. Everything is based on electrical calculations

I am not sure why it is not coming in the same way as it was saved last.

Without being at my computer I could not tell you if it is category or classification. When I hear classification I think of a different tab of the style manager. the classification controls when the object will be turned on or off though different display representations. At least the IFC classification will control that. It may do other things when when exporting, but it is the only way of controlling the visibility of objects when changing from power to lighting with the display rep.

Do you use revit for all electrical design work? We are trying to transition
Yes, 100%. I picked up Revit about seven years ago, and as of 3-4 years ago I haven't looked back, honestly. For MEP design I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have Revit.

Here's a very recent post from a well known consultant and blogger in the AutoCAD and Revit industry who sums up the Revit vs AutoCAD ideology pretty much dead on:

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2014/04/revit-and-autocad.html

If you're interested in consulting more about Revit and how you and your company can benefit from it, feel free to PM me. I can give any information you're seeking on the topic.

Without being at my computer I could not tell you if it is category or classification. When I hear classification I think of a different tab of the style manager. the classification controls when the object will be turned on or off though different display representations. At least the IFC classification will control that. It may do other things when when exporting, but it is the only way of controlling the visibility of objects when changing from power to lighting with the display rep.
Don't know if I confused you hertz, but I'm assuming I did by accident. "Classification" is the term used in Revit, as in "Load Classifications" which defines each type of load connected to a panel. It's probably the same thing as Category in AutoCAD MEP but I'm too lazy to open it up and check lol.

-Tannar

I got it to work. The only thing is i had to make it so that the load category cant be overridden. If i do need to change it, it needs to be done thru style manager. Thank you