Can not extrude holes on pump base (Inventor 2010)

Sengna

I tried to extrude or use hole command to make these holes on this plate, when i clicked on extrude then i got the message said No visible, Unadaptive sketches. what happened here? on the model browser it looks like I got duplicate names: there is Extrusion 1 listed twice on tree and Sketch 1 twice. usually when clicked on hole command it would give a preview of those holes but it didn't. this look different than 2014 inventor. any advice?

extrude2.jpg

Right click on your Sketch1 in the browser and turn on Visibility.

Now it should work.

Everything else looks like it should.

(well, except for the fact that you have wayyyyy more dimensions than needed to define that simple sketch. Attach the *.ipt file here if you want to learn how to do it right)

I don't understand why you attached the file again?

Once you set the sketch to be shared by multiple features - you should now be able to select for your new Extrusion feature.

Did you try it again?

I don't understand why you attached the file again?

Once you set the sketch to be shared by multiple features - you should now be able to select for your new Extrusion feature.

Did you try it again?

Sorry, i misunderstood, i thought you wanted me to Re share my sketh on this thread, anyway, i saw some holes but they didn't cut through, i used extrude--Cut and on Extents "To". I was not able to use the hole command. what did i do wrong?

hole cuts.jpg

You would to an Extrude - Cut midplane (symmetrical) through All for the circles.

The better way would have been to use sketch centerpoints and the Hole command.

Hole? Or Extrude? (two different feature types)

If Extrude, your circle is in the middle of the part.

You must tell Inventor to cut in both directions (symmetric or midplane).

Symmetric.png

Hole? Or Extrude? (two different feature types)

If Extrude, your circle is in the middle of the part.

You must tell Inventor to cut in both directions (symmetric or midplane).

[ATTACH]48314[/ATTACH]

oh, I see, when i used the extrude command, i used cut and then i kept playing with where it said "Extents" drop down to select through all, i have not tried symmetric both directions yet. will give it a shot. thanks

Is there a way that i can temporary turn off those dims while i am extruding or editing obj so that i can see those holes?

Think of the hole command as just that, a command to drill a hole. It creates the feature the same way you would actually have to drill, counterbore, countersink, and tap a hole. In other words you can only drill in one direction. The hole feature begins at a location (your sketch plane) and drills/bores to a specified depth or through the material in one direction. It does not include the symmetric or asymmetric directions. Your sketch is in the middle of the part, so the hole command starts there and goes in only one direction (You couldn't actually drill a counterbore in the middle of a part , could you? So the command doesn't allow that either). (Well maybe you could EDM a counterbore:)!) To cut all the way through this part, use the extrude command with the symmetric option. Reasons to use the hole command over extrude is you can add threads, counterbores, etc... in one feature. And if you detail the part in a drawing the Hole and Thread callout command will list and identify all the other counterbore and thread features on that hole. if you want to use the hole feature, move your sketch plane to the surface you want to start drilling from.

Think of the hole command as just that, a command to drill a hole. It creates the feature the same way you would actually have to drill, counterbore, countersink, and tap a hole. In other words you can only drill in one direction. The hole feature begins at a location (your sketch plane) and drills/bores to a specified depth or through the material in one direction. It does not include the symmetric or asymmetric directions. Your sketch is in the middle of the part, so the hole command starts there and goes in only one direction (You couldn't actually drill a counterbore in the middle of a part , could you? So the command doesn't allow that either). (Well maybe you could EDM a counterbore:)!) To cut all the way through this part, use the extrude command with the symmetric option. Reasons to use the hole command over extrude is you can add threads, counterbores, etc... in one feature. And if you detail the part in a drawing the Hole and Thread callout command will list and identify all the other counterbore and thread features on that hole. if you want to use the hole feature, move your sketch plane to the surface you want to start drilling from.

Thanks Buddy, I will play with it some more.