Sketchup V.s CAD

Pablo Ferral

Oh btw, I was being sincere in your Revit skills. I wish I had a week to come sit with you and learn it :(
Thanks Sean. I'll take the compliment. :)

If you ever truly feel the need to get a grasp on it, or just want to casually check it out... say for instance you find your company asking you to start picking it up.... I'd do a 1-2 hr screen share Skype meeting on a Saturday morning or something. This way you can ask questions and see it in action. For people in the AEC industry, it's a must. Revit is coming, full force, and those in denial will be left behind, unfortunately.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• f700es

• ReMark

• Pablo Ferral

I agree, it is coming. We have already started, we upgraded to AutoDesk Building Design Suite - Ultimate to answer this. Started looking for local training recently. The local community college would be a great place but the arch. program there decided to teach ArchiCAD instead of Revit :rolleyes:

I thinks its quite obvious that sketchup will become strong with the BIM its only a matter of time...

Revit is not BIM its just another tool to archive BIM, i mean its only recently that Revit's IFC exports are starting to work just, ArchiCAD had it solved ages ago.

http://www.bimup.co.uk/

http://www.archdaily.com/484579/sketchup-2014-incorporates-bim-capabilities/

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/bimup-5d-sketchup

One thing is for sure sketchup will be very cost effective against the likes of Revit/ArchiCAD & i bet the big boys can see it coming a mile off.

Revit is not BIM....
Of course Revit is not BIM, because BIM is a process, subsequent of VDC (Virtual Design & Construction).

And who cares about ArchiCAD. It may have put more eggs in the IFC basket, but still is not a collaborative tool with a central server allowing users in the same model at the same time, both local and wide area networks. Revit is the pioneer of this technology. Everyone else is "Hey are you in that file? Can you close so I can hop in there and make a few changes?" type of scenario. Out with the old, in with the new. And not only does SketchUp not have any collaboration technology built in, but it's completely lacking in the information-rich needs that Revit and ArchiCAD can handle.

:)

For the moment yes your quite correct am just saying watch this space sketchup will get there.

BTW I use both Revit & Archicad & I can assure you it is a collaborative tool with a central server & the GRAPHISOFT BIM Server is in my view quite a lot better than the Revit server, plus Teamwork for Archicad is getting better & better, don't get me wrong I enjoy using both BIM platforms, it horses for courses.

http://www.graphisoft.com/bim_server/

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Teamwork

I have little to no faith in Tremble to make SU any better what so ever. I hope for another buyout down the road. The only and I mean ONLY thing going for SU is 3rd party customization. Without it SU would have died on Google's floor. I love SU very much and will wave it's flag all day but @Last (original company) should have never of sold it off.

I agree with Tanner on programs lacking "collaboration technology". This is show stopper once you get past the little Onesie - Twosie man firms. Fine for the intended purpose of the program but a real killer for complicated projects. Now maybe this will work for the small office here and there. Great and I hope it does but it will never be a real player in the BIM field. Honestly, it's not meant to be.

imho as always and not directed towards any one

Well sketchup was never meant to be used for production drawings but it is now with its layouts & is quite happy doing technical drawings/details, I agree about Tremble though :) but yes your both right the "collaboration technology" side of life just isn't there but perhaps one of those 3rd party customization options will come along !! who know's.

Layout is nice but it is not AutoCAD but to each their own. You could be right, a 3rd party solution might be in the works. There are some very slick programmers out there.

BTW I use both Revit & Archicad & I can assure you it is a collaborative tool with a central server & the GRAPHISOFT BIM Server is in my view quite a lot better than the Revit server....
Care to elaborate the pro's and con's between each?

I think most people have realised by now you are nothing more than a Revit fanboy and are so blind that that you refuse to see anything else. One could even think you are on the Revit blogger payroll almost!

In case you have forgotten this is predominantly an AutoCad based forum. Given you keep 'telling'/trolling us how great Revit is and how bad AutoCad is perhaps it would be better if you stuck to your other revit only forum(s). I'm not talking about your posts in this thread specifically although your continued posts across multiple forums over multiple months.

I'm still interested in hearing some real-world pro's vs con's. After reviewing the BIM Server, it definitely has one thing better than Revit Server, which is the ability to have Group Policy and User Permissions. Currently, Revit Server has nothing in place so you're see "all projects". This is great for internal only personnel, but outside clients, this becomes a liability.

We are working with Kirksey Architecture, who use ArchiCAD, and I don't think they know about BIM Server. I think this would be beneficial to them. Currently we are exchanging IFC's with them and with Revit 2015, they really ramped up their IFC support. IFC exchange is almost flawless at the moment.

Thanks!

Just for informational purposes, this is NOT an Autocad forum. It is a "CAD" forum. We discuss many different types of software here, not JUST Autocad.

And in case anyone has forgotten, trolling and flaming is not tolerated on this forum.

I'm still interested in hearing some real-world pro's vs con's. After reviewing the BIM Server, it definitely has one thing better than Revit Server, which is the ability to have Group Policy and User Permissions. Currently, Revit Server has nothing in place so you're see "all projects". This is great for internal only personnel, but outside clients, this becomes a liability.

This was primarily one of the reasons we have tried to shy away from the Revit server for the time being (and why most people in our area do not use it). I had spoken to AutoDesk and from what I understand the easiest way to get around that is to create several virtual servers (which is a huge resource dump for something we feel is unnecessary fro projects of our size).

This was primarily one of the reasons we have tried to shy away from the Revit server for the time being (and why most people in our area do not use it). I had spoken to AutoDesk and from what I understand the easiest way to get around that is to create several virtual servers (which is a huge resource dump for something we feel is unnecessary fro projects of our size).
Yeah, it is the only way, but c'mon!! Autodesk needs to fix that, pronto. It's such a ridiculous hassle to set up a virtual server "per project".

In case you have forgotten this is predominantly an AutoCad based forum.....

Charcoal on cave wall was once the state-of-the-art.

And charcoal on paper can still be art work and produce masterpieces. A tool is like any other tool, it's the person behind it that makes the difference.