Pdf to autocad importing?

Safwah

Just at work and we are trying to find out if you can import pdf files into autocad. For some reason they sent us a pdf document. We are trying to contact them but i just want to know if you can import pdf into autocad. We need to redimension some areas in the drawing.

Thanks.

If you're asking whether or not you can open pdf files in autocad and work on them, the answer is no. A pdf is nothing more than a printed copy on your computer. It contains no drawing information. It's just an image. If you need to make changes to the drawing, you will need to get the cad file from the person that sent you the pdf.

If you just want to insert the pdf into a drawing to use as a background image, you can do that, but I would suggest doing a "Save As" in jpg format to get a better quality image.

If you're asking whether or not you can open pdf files in autocad and work on them, the answer is no. A pdf is nothing more than a printed copy on your computer. It contains no drawing information. It's just an image.

Not necessarily true. It depends on how the PDF was generated. PDF's can contain vector geometry and if it does, that geometry can be extracted back to a DXF or DWF file.

Not necessarily true. It depends on how the PDF was generated. PDF's can contain vector geometry and if it does, that geometry can be extracted back to a DXF or DWF file.

Are you saying this can be done within Autocad? Or are you talking about using one of the 3rd party programs? I know you can convert raster to vector, but I don't really trust those conversion programs. They never seem to work correctly and you always have to spend more time fixing the generated file. I guess if you had no other alternative, but I would surely try to get the original cad file whenever possible.

I guess saying that a pdf contains no drawing information is incorrect, but what I mean by drawing information is things like blocks, dynamic blocks, dimensions, hatch patterns, xrefs, etc. All of these things are reduced to simple lines during the conversion process, right? If there is a way to convert pdf to dxf, while retaining all the aspects of the original drawing, I would certainly like to know about it.

Are you saying this can be done within Autocad? Or are you talking about using one of the 3rd party programs? I know you can convert raster to vector, but I don't really trust those conversion programs. They never seem to work correctly and you always have to spend more time fixing the generated file. I guess if you had no other alternative, but I would surely try to get the original cad file whenever possible.

I think he saying that a PDF can be either Vector or Raster. It depends on how the PDF was created and what was used to create the PDF. If the PDF is a vector PDF created from a CAD file, Illustrator file, Corel Draw file or other vector program then yes it will probably be a vector PDF file. This can be used to give you a nice vector DWG file without having to use a raster to vector conversion.

I think he saying that a PDF can be either Vector or Raster. It depends on how the PDF was created and what was used to create the PDF. If the PDF is a vector PDF created from a CAD file, Illustrator file, Corel Draw file or other vector program then yes it will probably be a vector PDF file. This can be used to give you a nice vector DWG file without having to use a raster to vector conversion.

That is exactly what I was saying. But CAD64 is right about a PDF not containing "drawing information" when that means "blocks", "dimensions", "hatch patterns", etc.

Other than the ability to maintain layers, PDF's (and DWF's for that matter) are not much more than a plot file.

We deal with a certain agency that only offers PDF files for our use. We must convert these to AutoCAD drawings so certain things can be fixed or updated. We use the PDF Import tool in ToolPac to do this and it works great.

Thanks for the replies. I dont have to deal with this pain myself, its the steel drawing that gets the occasional plans that come in as pdf files, but since im the autocad guru in the office he comes to me asking what to do with it.

• 2 years later...

Correct, it will be a "dumb" drawing of just lines and such. But sometimes this is better than nothing :wink:

That is exactly what I was saying. But CAD64 is right about a PDF not containing "drawing information" when that means "blocks", "dimensions", "hatch patterns", etc.

Other than the ability to maintain layers, PDF's (and DWF's for that matter) are not much more than a plot file.

We deal with a certain agency that only offers PDF files for our use. We must convert these to AutoCAD drawings so certain things can be fixed or updated. We use the PDF Import tool in ToolPac to do this and it works great.

That is on 2009 with the subscription only, correct?

2009 - If you are on subscription, you can download and apply Bonus Pack 2, which includes this.

2010 - it's included by default.