Flatshot and Rotate

curtie20

Ouch! I don't see any solids? And random lines going to strange locations? Looks like extra work?

Random Lines.PNG

What happens if you set your ltscale to 0.1 and regen?

Shouldn't those be Hidden Linetype rather than center lines?

Varies.PNG

You have lines over top of lines on various layers?

Question - are you interested in step-by-step instructions on how to do this problem correctly (probably not the way you were instructed)?

(Will not require any finger-crossing luck. Only logic will be used, and you will know it is correct.)

Hidden Lines.PNG

Edited by JD Mather

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• curtie20

• Dadgad

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you run the Overkill command on your drawing you will find that you have 33 duplicate lines and 7 overlapping lines. This is just plain sloppy work. There is no reason why you should be creating duplicate/overlapping lines unless you are still unfamiliar with some of the commands you are using.

Hidden lines should be on their own layer and a "hidden" or "dashed" linetype should be used.

I'm not entirely sure you know which lines should be displayed and which should be hidden.

Why did you jump from 3D back into 2D? What's the point?

Edited by ReMark

Remark, to my understanding it is 3D and not 2D. Maybe I'm wrong. it is my last drawing

I've made no progress I keep coming up with duplicate lines

Edited by Cad64
Posts merged

Remark, to my understanding it is 3D and not 2D. Maybe I'm wrong. it is my last drawing

I see one region and a whole bunch of lines which give the appearance of a 3D drawing but it is more like a 3D isometric. I guess I was expecting to see the object constructed as a 3D solid like in JD Mather's previous post.

I've made no progress I keep coming up with duplicate lines

Yes, there are at least 33 duplicate lines if not more. Not sure how that happened. Can you explain what you did?

Like I said in a previous post that I'm doing distance learning. I don't attend a class where I can ask questions. It's very difficult for me cause the manual does not cover everything.

Might I suggest that you erase what you have done and start over? Start by making the basic shapes that will be used to create your 3D solid. Once you have those shapes then use either the EXTRUDE or PRESSPULL commands. Remember though if you use EXTRUDE on a box created out of four separate lines you will end up with surfaces not a solid. Use EXTRUDE on profiles (your simple shapes) constructed out of a continuous polyline. On the other hand, PRESSPULL can be used on lines, arcs, polylines and splines and the end result will be a solid. Got that?

Yes I am aware that I have to use polyline to be able to extrude the problem I'm having is to trim on this particular drawing so what I'm doing is exploding it so I can trim but I'm still having no luck

You are having trouble trimming because some of your lines are non-coplanar. That is why I suggested you start over with the basic shapes. Look at the 3D model that JD Mather created. Can you envision that object as a series of individual solids ultimately joined together to form one object? Go look. I'll wait.

So how do I fix the coplanar problem

I seem to do fine on my other drawings when it comes to extrude and presspull

Edited by Cad64
Posts merged

You fix the problem by starting over. It would be in your best interest to do so given someone is not sitting by your side and guiding you step-by-step.

Did you look at JD's 3D model?

I seem to do fine on my other drawings when it comes to extrude and presspull

Well something went terribly wrong somewhere along the line with this drawing. Even JD mentioned it earlier......

Random lines.PNG

I started by the polyline command I drew a rectangle of 64 by 100. I then presspull to a height of 10. I used the copy edge command to create the cut out. And that's where I'm stuck cause I can't seem to trim

Two parts of the 3D object have openings in them so why start by creating a rectangular slab? You cannot use the TRIM command on a solid. You could use SLICE if you are familiar with that command.

To "cut" a hole in the rectangle you could PRESSPULL a profile through it as one option or create another solid of the same shape and subtract it.

How many basic shapes did you break down the 3D model into when you looked at JD's image?

At a bare minimum I come up with five as one of them repeats.

Creating the basic shapes then using either EXTRUDE or PRESSPULL would be a much easier process for someone new to AutoCAD don't you think? Do I need to demonstrate this to you?

I think your problem is that you are trying to use some commands for editing solids and you have very little idea of how they work exactly.