• ReMark

• curtie20

• Dadgad

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IsoBlock3.jpg

And continuing on.

I overrode the layer color (magenta) on some of the parts to distinguish them more clearly for your benefit.

IsoBlock4.jpg

Everything back to the designated layer color.

Visual style = X-ray.

Now all we have to do is use the UNION command to join all the objects up.

Now it is your turn.

I fully expect that JD or another forum member will come by and point out any number of things I did wrong and how they would have created the model differently. It doesn't bother me. This demo was for your enlightenment not theirs. Is my way the best, fastest way? Perhaps not. That was not the point of this exercise in my opinion. The point was taking what looked like a complex object and breaking it down into less complex sub-objects to make the process a little easier on you until such time as you fully learn how all the solids editing tools work. Until then....happy cadding. Good luck. Please share your finished drawing with us upon its completion. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

I fully expect that JD or another forum member will come by and point out any number of things I did wrong .....

Looks good to me!

I'll take that as medium-high praise.:) No offense meant BTW but you do tend to catch all my mistakes.:o Must be those sharp eyes of yours.:lol:

ReMark, well done, but it looks to me like the hole in the green section may not go all the way through, from glancing at JD's post.

Curtie the key to solving any problem is breaking it down into small enough increments that

they are attainable, and building up from there, one step at a time.

I think ReMark is doing a good job of breaking it down for you,

to help you get your head around it. As you can now see, all the shapes taken

individualloy are pretty simple. PressPull is a great command, and will really

help you to hit the ground running, when 3D Modeling.

I would have to go back and take a second look but I think if you look at the drawing the OP posted he showed it going all the way through. Maybe his was incorrect and I just copied the error? Stranger things have happened.

ReMark, well done, but it looks to me like the hole in the green section may not go all the way through, from glancing at JD's post.

I modeled with the rectangular "hole" going through all.

IsoBlock6.jpg

2Dwireframe. Keep in mind it is not a true isometric as the "hidden" lines are not dashed. For that we would have to turn to Flatshot or ViewBase.

IsoBlock7.PNG

Isometric view showing hidden lines.

This was created using the ViewBase command. Assuming you are working in a 3D Modelling workspace click on the Layout tab and look on the Create View panel. Click on the Base icon and continue from there.

This method is so much easier/better than Flatshot it should be your first choice in most situations where a 2D view of a 3D model is required. ViewBase will automatically create two new layers called MD_Hidden and MD_Visible. The default color for each layer is black/white (depending on your background color). In the image above I decided to make the hidden lines appear in the color red.

Note: You must be in a Layout with no viewports created as ViewBase will place the 2D views in the Layout for you. All you have to do is tell AutoCAD that the 3D model is back in model space. For best results place the model on a layer all itself and freeze all the other layers.

Try this method out and see what I mean then teach your instructor. He should reward you with a grade of "A".

After you use this to generate a view, or a full set of views, you can rename the layers to suit, as well as colors,

as demostrated by ReMark.

Should you want to generate a set of views, right click on your LAYOUT TAB, and select Drafting Standard Setup,

and make sure that the appropriate display types are set as your defaults.

After you use this to generate a view, or a full set of views, you can rename the layers to suit, .....

I have little experience using viewbase, but I suspect you do not want to rename the automatically created layers. Color, line thickness, OK, linetype, maybe, but layer name, I suspect not. If you changed the solid model - how would view associativity to the solid be maintained. (could be wrong, I didn't actually check this....)

I, for one, leave the names alone. You do bring up a good point though. When I have a moment I can test the associativity aspect.

Update:

My quick test has ascertained that there is no negative affect in regards to changing the layer names MD_Hidden and MD_Visible when it comes to associativity. I could change the 3D model and the base view would change in the layout despite having renamed the layers hiddenlyr and visiblelyr respectively.

Edited by ReMark