Linked CAD drawing is only showing the title sheet.

Glen1980

As I've mentioned in another thread, my company is trialling Revit architecture for drawing up the houses in on a development. Due to the short deadline and only having three of us with Revit licenses and training we had to have other people draw the Bathroom and Kitchen details in CAD.

I was thinking that if I linked the CAD into the project files I could then use a call out to reference the correct drawing and have the drawing where I can find it easily for printing and issuing.

When I link the CAD in a floor plan view the drawing comes in but without the paperspace title block and when I link the Cad in a sheet I only get the title sheet (no drawing within it.) Am I going about this all wrong?

When I link the CAD in a floor plan view the drawing comes in but without the paperspace title block and when I link the Cad in a sheet I only get the title sheet (no drawing within it.) Am I going about this all wrong?
Yes you are. I do understand short schedules during a learning period, which is one of very few legitimate reason to use DWG Links.

First off, forget the Titleblock. Trust me you do not want to even consider Linking a DWG's Titleblock into Revit. Let Revit take care of the Titleblock since it's far superior to AutoCAD's. If you need to utilize the DWG Link as a floorplan, go to the View and simply Link it in. Pay attention to the options on the dialog. Always uncheck the "Correct lines that are slightly off axis" option so you don't have to deal with additional issues. To the far left of the Link Dialog Box there's a "Current View Only" checkbox. I use this a lot... because most of the time if I have to use a DWG, I only want it in that View so it doesn't become a visibility issue for the rest of my model. If I need it in another View, I can copy/paste to any other View I want or simply duplicate it which manages my DWG links so much better. The rest are straight forward.

Once it's Linked, if you go to Visibility/Graphics > Imported Categories Tab, you will notice the DWG file is now available. Expand the DWG name and you'll now have access to all the Layers. This is where you can edit the Layers to be On/Off, Lineweights, Patterns or even Halftone (screened). If this DWG will be an actively authored file, there is no automatic updating notification like AutoCAD does with XREF's, so you'll have to remember to open the Manage Links dialog and Reload the file periodically or when you know there's been an update to the file.

That about sums it up for DWG Linking. Hope this helps. :)

-Tannar

If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to get the CAD on a sheet. After linking it into a view, put that view on a sheet just like you would for any other views. I never tried linking a .dwg to a sheet and I find it interesting that Revit automatically knows to put a layout on it. I wonder what happens if there is more than one layout.

Thanks Tannar and Rob.

Only one layout per CAD file. We did get one bathroom modelled and used a curtain wall to replicate the tiles (to make life difficult we have to set out tiles and then set out the basins and toilet on grout line) but with the time constraints we couldn't do them in time.

Glen

Only one layout per CAD file. We did get one bathroom modelled and used a curtain wall to replicate the tiles (to make life difficult we have to set out tiles and then set out the basins and toilet on grout line) but with the time constraints we couldn't do them in time.
Interesting.... a curtain wall for "tiles"? Could the use of Model Patterns be of use or did they not suffice for the visual needs?

Something worth trying. We have someone who used Revit for planning purposes so flat layouts and external ele's other than that we've had the 3 day essentials course. The tiles are rectangular rather than square, would that be a problem for a patten?

Ah, gotcha. I'm still not completely understanding exactly what you're needing to do, but Pattern's are the equivalent to Hatch's in AutoCAD. You can apply Patterns to any wall so it's "tiled" in your View. Remember you can distinguish a Pattern for the Face of an object, or the Cut of an object.

Also the tiling is half height to one wall, has a feture strip of another shape tile in the middle of another wall. All a total PITA!

Have to experiment to find the best way.

Also the tiling is half height to one wall, has a feture strip of another shape tile in the middle of another wall.
This all could be done with simple Linework as Detailing.

Have to experiment to find the best way.
Experience is the best teacher. Keep at it, it's all for the greater good no matter how PITA it can be.

:)

Aside from a few foibles where changing the overhang of my gable end roof broke the dormer window connection to the extent I had to redraw I'm rather liking Revit and dreading going back to AutoCAD once the trial is over!