Filling up small cracks between solids

jpolihro

Hello All,

I am trying to align 2 solid bodies so they intersect without forming small-area faces. Then my goal is to combine them in a single volume and avoid "cracks" or short sticking-out edges.

What is your strategy on that?

I thought of:

1) build edges that coincide with the crack edges (here is a problem, because some of these edges are curved)

2) fill surfaces

3) close all fill-surfaces and create a solid volume inside the crack like a "tooth filling"

4) combine all voulmes

Any ideas?...

can you give a little insight or screen shot as to the parts your dealing with. Is this an assembly or a single part you are creatings? Was it modeled in Solidworks or imported from another package. what version of SW are you working with?

if i were trying to clean that up, my first thought would be a sketch using the top of your parts as the sketch plane. make sure you your constraints, and use your sketch to do an extrude>cut

Problem solved:

I managed to avoid cracks by changing my model and then formed an assembly, used mating to constrain the positions of the bodies. In particular, I chose 1 face on each solid and forced these faces to be "coincident" with opposing normal vectors. Then by using the magnifier I was able to adjust the needed edges so that they became coincident with high degree of precision.

Mostly, the answer of the issue was:

1) form an assembly

2) do mating

Thank you for all suggestions.