Attaching dimensions to complex 3D object

kingdaddy

I have a 3-D scan Iimported and am having trouble positioning my UCS and cursor to the correctposition so that I can attach a dimension to the opening at the front of theRadome cutout. I have placed my UCSinside the cutout for reference. No matterwhat I do I cannot get my cursor to match the UCS or change the pivot point tothe tip of the nose.

Any ideas or tutorialsyou can point me to?

RADOME.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingdaddy

• ReMark

• Dana W

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe switching to a 2Dwireframe visual style, SE isometric view and adding a line as a temporary reference will get you properly situated.

I just tried that. I was able to attach a line for both the maxhorizontal and vertical part of the opening and I can use the"Distance" command to get an accurate measurement of the opening.

But I still cannot attach any linierdimensions to the opening, no matter where I snap to for starting point it willput the start point somewhere out in space not even attached to the object.

I just tried that. I was able to attach a line for both the maxhorizontal and vertical part of the opening and I can use the"Distance" command to get an accurate measurement of the opening.

But I still cannot attach any linierdimensions to the opening, no matter where I snap to for starting point it willput the start point somewhere out in space not even attached to the object.

This is a "just in case" set of statements. 3D Scan? The dimension is going to the nearest point it can find to snap to. I'm not sure, but your image may not be an AutoCad object. Exactly what did you bring into the program. Is it a picture? If so, there is only a raster field of pixels, nothing for AutoCad to attach to. One can only use dimensions on a vector based object. If your image is a 3D drawing, then "Never Mind".:oops:

The drawing is over 30Mb, not sure how I can compact it enough to send. It was Imported from several .iges drawing files.

I'm pretty sure its a 3D object with surfaces as I can mouse over a part and see a section of mesh highlite

Surfaces can be sliced which means you could cut out a section and WBlock it to your hard drive as a separate, smaller, DWG file.

I tried with no luck, by slicing out most of the object I could only get it down to 8Mb

Can you get it down to just the opening that is pictured and a small ring of surface around the perimeter?

remark, I'm getting my IT guy to post this file on an FTP site, I can send you a private message for login info if you want.

Its ok either way, I'm giving up on this file for now, its over my head. I'll send you the info and you can try if you want, if not then thats fine, I appreciate your trying to answer my questions anyway.

Thanks

Mike

i would make a copy of the object then see what explode does. it may produce some geometry you can snap to.

I'm pretty sure its a 3D object with surfaces as I can mouse over a part and see a section of mesh highlite
OK, part of a post made me think it may have been a jpg file.

Are you certain your UCS Z value is at the proper point on the geometry? Dimensions will be placed at Z=0 Is Dynamic UCS turned ON?

Do you mean "ucsdetect"? If so then yes it is set to 1 for active. As far as the UCS orign being set correctly I'm not sure as I am a novice at 3-D drawing, but I do have my X & Y along the vertical and horizontal axis of the opening I am trying to dim.

Looks like that turns dynamic ucs on. Try turning it off then issue the UCS >> Origin option select a point on the feature you want to dimension.

I find the dynamic ucs to be somewhat cumbersome, but that's just me and my habits.

Pretty sure? What does List or Properties report.

Looks to me like a very very dense cloud of points or a mesh.

Probably of little use in CAD other than for visual reference.

Post a screen shot of shademode 2dwireframe and from a couple of other angles.