Hello,

So, here's the scoop: I'm drafting a property survey, obviously beginning in 1:1 scale. Now, this has to fit on a predefined viewport which rests on an 11 x 17 sheet. The only way I can get it to fit is by scaling the drawing to 1:30 or 1:20 scale within model space. Any clues as to how this can be done? A million thanks in advance!

Cheers!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkent

• 6655321CAD

• nestly

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Create a viewport in a paperspace layout setup for 11x17 paper, then use the scale box at the lower right in the AutoCAD status bar to change the viewport scale.

Always draw modelspace objects at full size, and scale the viewport.

I don't think 2009 has the viewport scale thingy on the status bar, the Annotative visibility toggle, and Auto-Add-Annotative scale is there on the drawing status.

Since we are in the beginners area, I'll throw in some more detail.

Another way is to Select the viewport frame, then select properties. It is the viewport Standard Scale property you want to set to 1:20 or 1:30, not modelspace or the Plot scale. Once you have that set to your liking, then set the viewport Display Locked to Yes, either in properties or the right click menu, with the viewport frame selected.

Also, whether or not you are using annotative dimensions, it is a good idea to set your annotative scale in properties to the same as the Standard Scale. Most of the time, changing, or setting the Annotative scale property will automagically set the standard scale to the same value.

Thanks, it seems pretty straight forward. But just to make sure, there's no way to convert a drawing to 1:30 scale in model space?

Thanks, it seems pretty straight forward. But just to make sure, there's no way to convert a drawing to 1:30 scale in model space?

Sure there's a way, but doing so will cause all your dimensions/measurements to be off by a factor of 30... elevations as well depending on the scaling method used. Draw the objects at their actual size and use Viewport scaling to make your modelspace objects fit on any size paper you wish to output to.

There are ways, but it is bad practice not havening things 1 to 1. When I’m forced to scale things to fit into drawing sets, because of an old outdated program we still use, I make the item into a block before I scale it, this way I can still get “true” dimensions. I do not recommend doing this without putting some non-printable text over the detail in “big friendly red letters” saying “not to scale”.

Oh, you can do it. Simply select the objects, execute the Scale command, and give it the proper scale factor to acheive the ratio of 1 paperspace unit = how many modelspace units.

:rofl: Then, when the next guy down the line gets hold of your drawing, he will come after you with a bad attitude look on his face and possibly a fat stick in his hand.:rofl:

AutoCad predates paperspace. A lot of bad practices can be carried over to the new environment (paperspace) simply because the commands are useful for other things in modelspace.

The only time I need the scale command in modelspace is when I have to blow up a 24" x 36" pdf of a 200 foot long building so I can trace over it at full size.

Yes, there are a few that I can think of.

1) Insert your title block (11x17) and then scale it up by a factor of 30. This is how we did it before PS was around.

2) Start another drawing, insert your title block. Xref in your drawing and scale that to 1:30.

6655: Did you actually mean to say 1"=30' as the scale because 1:30 is a metric scale?

Good point, if this is a metric drawing then using an 11x17 titleblock is going to get messy.

Might be that the actual paper is A3 (16.5" x 11.7"), and it is being called by the nearest equivalent imperial size.

Or even vice versa. Only the OP knows. :?

Might be that the actual paper is A3 (16.5" x 11.7"), and it is being called by the nearest equivalent imperial size.

Or even vice versa. Only the OP knows. :?

But the A3 is drawn at 420x297 units which is a long ways from 11x17. Not good to mix the two as we have seen from recent posts.

As a matter of fact, it is a metric scale. I try and put it at 1:30 in paperspace and its huge....... I'm gonna try and put some screenshots up to better illustrate.

alright, so apparently I can't upload a screenshot, but yes, it is a metric scale.

You must use a metric titleblock, so for an A3 it should measure ~420x297 mm.

So, here's a jpg of the pdf of my paperspace. As you can all see, the drawing scale is huge, and will not fit inside the viewport. Suggestions and solutions would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

TEMPLE-DENNIS-11X17 PORTAIT (2)-page-001.jpg

You are mixing imperial title block sizes with metric drawings. I say again for the third time, you must have a properly sized metric title block.