Plot Area ? Extents missing ?

Mallon

I am creating a template file with a few page setups for printing on so i can use publish / import for printing of numerous older drawings.

I have only got three options for plot area which are display, window and limits.

I need extents? where has it gone?

i have tried limits and it doesnt work as well as extents would but i dont have that option.

Can someone help

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• jarr3tt88

• a_67vdub

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't take much to mess up the scale of a page set-up using extents. I like using window because you can use coordinates to set it. Limits is another good option for the same reason.

Window was and always will be the best option for plotting. Draw your title block area box 18x24 24x36 or 36x48 and window that box.

There has to be something in PS before extents will show up, no matter how small or large. I use extents exclusively and never have any problems with it.

I've been saying this a lot around the office lately. Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that there can't be any.

In a collaborative environment with multiple users of varying levels, a simple seemingly innocent thing can mess up the extents, resulting in plots that are wrong. This can result in a lot of wasted paper in a large drawing set. Using WINDOW sets a defined area and bypasses the need for AutoCAD to adjust paperspace for the sheet. Extents works if used properly but in an environment like the one I work in it is not an accepted practice.

Edited by RobDraw

I've been saying this a lot around the office lately. Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that there can't be any.

In a collaborative environment with multiple users of varying levels, a simple seemingly innocent thing can mess up the extents resulting in plots that are wrong. This can result in a lot of wasted paper in a large drawing set. Using WINDOW sets a defined area and bypasses the need for AutoCAD to adjust paperspace for the sheet. Extents works if used properly but in an environment like the one I work in it is not an accepted practice.

So each time you or your fellow employees plot a drawing you physically pick points for a window or is it automated in some way? Layout sounds like a better solution than that.

So each time you or your fellow employees plot a drawing you physically pick points for a window or is it automated in some way? Layout sounds like a better solution than that.

In my office we have a template (I setup) which has every sheet pre plotted. All you have to do is pick the sheet size you want (also all I pre setup) and hit print. It automatically does full scale, 11x17 scaled to fit, or PDF.

In a collaborative environment with multiple users of varying levels, a simple seemingly innocent thing can mess up the extents resulting in plots that are wrong. This can result in a lot of wasted paper in a large drawing set. Using WINDOW sets a defined area and bypasses the need for AutoCAD to adjust paperspace for the sheet. Extents works if used properly but in an environment like the one I work in it is not an accepted practice.

Yeah, like paperspace dimensions with VERY LARGE radius arcs (using center marks).

With the page set up properly defined, and the title block fit well, layout is the only way to go for me. I have had questionable results with Window, and Extents as far as the accuracy of the viewport scale once it hits the paper.

The one that used to happen frequently was people moving a progress stamp to the outside of a title block instead of erasing it.

The one that used to happen frequently was people moving a progress stamp to the outside of a title block instead of erasing it.
Yeah, I have found tables, old title blocks, and just about anything just outside of the true "Extents".

In a pinch I've gotten around that issue of people putting stuff outside the titleblock by drawing a giant rectangle in the titleblock xref centered around the titleblock and making sure the "center the plot" box is checked. As long as the extra stuff is within the new outer rectangle, it will center properly as long as you're specifying a scale instead of scaling to fit.

Why use a work around if a tool is there does exactly what you want? When you specify a window, you are drawing a rectangle that specifies the exact area you want plotted.

What?! Really? That doesn't make sense. Can you prove that?

I've been planning on switching to using SSM on my next project. If that is the case, I may have to drop that idea.

When using sheetsets, pagesetups using window are ignored.

Thats a bold face lie because I use the sheet sets and every single layout of mine is windowed.

What?! Really? That doesn't make sense. Can you prove that?

I've been planning on switching to using SSM on my next project. If that is the case, I may have to drop that idea.

Don't believe what he said because its not true. If you need some help with Sheet sets, send me a PM I'll be glad to provide some help :)

Okay, thanks jarr3tt88. I could not understand why that would be the case or even why someone would post such a blatant "mistake".

If I have any questions, I will post them so that anyone that may have the same questions will be able to find answers. Also, it may be a while as my next couple projects will be in Revit.

No problem Rob! And I'm jealous you get to use revit....I wish my office used a 3D program (stuck with 2d and lines only with just autocad) I like Chief Architect personally but I'd use revit.

Well, I'm sure my "proof" isn't strong enough to hold up in court, but it's the best I could do. The attached screenshot is when managing pagesetups through the SSM. You can see that window isn't listed, just layout and extents. If I create a template with multiple page setups using various print methods, the ones with window don't show up when right-clicking some sheets, selecting publish, then publish using pagesetup override. I've experienced this behavior in Civil 3D and Autocad releases 2007, '10, '12, and now '14. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know because I always liked window the best.

ShtSetPgSetup.jpg

But, either way it shouldn't be a deal breaker regarding SSM. If you have a lot of drawings per project, the benefits far outweigh the problems.

Yeah, your original statement was too broad. What you are showing means that you cannot create a page set-up utilizing window FROM SSM. That's got nothing to do with SSM ignoring page set-ups using window. Your original statement implied that sheets using a page set-up utilizing window would not show up in SSM.