Plot Area ? Extents missing ?

Mallon

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know because I always liked window the best.

Yea like Rob said, it makes sense you can't window from there. The sheet set manager is like a batch plot. If they gave window, you'd have to go to each page individually.

The best thing to do is go to each layout and "pre setup" each page using whichever method you prefer. I like window, the most accurate. Then hit publish from the sheet set selecting all the sheets you need, then pick whichever, I like to plot to PDF first then print from there. I've had issues with page sizes in the past, but never looked into a solution (I'm sure it works)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• jarr3tt88

• a_67vdub

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry I should have been more clear.

Our method of printing from the sheetset is to create a template file that has a pagesetup for each type of print you want. For example, I'll have a pagesetup for full size bond from printer xyz, full size vellum from printer xyz, 11x17 closest to me, 11x17 that's across the office, half size pdf, full size pdf, etc. In the sheetset properties you specify this template file as the pagesetup override file. Then when you want to print or make pdf's you right click any number of drawings, go down to the "Publish" flyout, then to the "Publish using pagesetup overrides" flyout, and all the pagesetups you created in the template will be listed, unless it uses window. I agree it doesn't make sense. And if it worked the way I (we) think it should, then you wouldn't need to select a window for each sheet, they would all use the window specified in the template. Each sheet gets plotted using the pagesetup in the template, regardless of what pagesetups are defined in the sheet.

The screenshot was my (weak) attempt to prove that SSM doesn't like window. After publishing this way for 5 or so years I've gotten used to it, but still use window for non-ssm plots. I actually had to double check that windowed pagesetups wouldn't work because it's been so long since I've even tried, I thought maybe they fixed it and I just didn't notice, but got the same result.

I set-up my projects so that every page set-up resides in the project files. So, overriding should be a non-issue. On the off chance that I need to use a different page set-up that does not reside in the files, I have a LISP routine that will batch import page set-ups. Again, making that limitation a non-issue but thanks for the explanation.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear.

Our method of printing from the sheetset is to create a template file that has a pagesetup for each type of print you want. For example, I'll have a pagesetup for full size bond from printer xyz, full size vellum from printer xyz, 11x17 closest to me, 11x17 that's across the office, half size pdf, full size pdf, etc. In the sheetset properties you specify this template file as the pagesetup override file. Then when you want to print or make pdf's you right click any number of drawings, go down to the "Publish" flyout, then to the "Publish using pagesetup overrides" flyout, and all the pagesetups you created in the template will be listed, unless it uses window. I agree it doesn't make sense. And if it worked the way I (we) think it should, then you wouldn't need to select a window for each sheet, they would all use the window specified in the template. Each sheet gets plotted using the pagesetup in the template, regardless of what pagesetups are defined in the sheet.

The screenshot was my (weak) attempt to prove that SSM doesn't like window. After publishing this way for 5 or so years I've gotten used to it, but still use window for non-ssm plots. I actually had to double check that windowed pagesetups wouldn't work because it's been so long since I've even tried, I thought maybe they fixed it and I just didn't notice, but got the same result.

I just did a quick test of this. I setup a new page layout through publish, manage page setups... I made a new setup called 24x36, using our printer, put our plot style, and left 'layout' checked (which is windowed) I printed two pages from publish 'using page setup override', 24X36. It printed perfectly. This was through the sheet setup manager, printing with layouts that were windowed.

Maybe try that again and see if it works like it did for me? Interesting it wouldn't work for you. By using layout option for the override, its telling the page that you want it to print whatever was selected through the layout tab to plot.

I just did a quick test of this. I setup a new page layout through publish, manage page setups... I made a new setup called 24x36, using our printer, put our plot style, and left 'layout' checked (which is windowed) I printed two pages from publish 'using page setup override', 24X36. It printed perfectly. This was through the sheet setup manager, printing with layouts that were windowed.

Maybe try that again and see if it works like it did for me? Interesting it wouldn't work for you. By using layout option for the override, its telling the page that you want it to print whatever was selected through the layout tab to plot.

The layout option is not the same as window.

The layout option is not the same as window.

The layout option chooses whatever the layout is plotted as, in my case window. Like I said previously, all my sheets are preplotted as window already. I just did the above steps using vdub method, and I was able to produce my drawings, using the sheet set, using the layouts windowed as he was stating didn't work. You can try the same steps and see if it does or doesn't work for you having a layout windowed and using the sheet set manager. I provided two ways using the sheet set and having layouts windowed. Thats whats being debated here or am I missing something?

Conclusion: From what I see, using the sheet set manager also can plot windowed layouts.

Edited by jarr3tt88

The layout option ....In The Sheet Set Manager.... chooses whatever the layout is plotted as, in my case window. Like I said previously, all my sheets are preplotted as window already. I just did the above steps using vdub method, and I was able to produce my drawings, using the sheet set, using the layouts windowed as he was stating didn't work. You can try the same steps and see if it does or doesn't work for you having a layout windowed and using the sheet set manager. I provided two ways using the sheet set and having layouts windowed. Thats whats being debated here or am I missing something?

Conclusion: What what I see, using the sheet set manager also can plot windowed layouts.

There, I fixed that for ya. The Layout, Window, and Extents selections, for "What To Plot", are all three mutually exclusive ....In The AutoCad Page Set Up Dialog..... Now, once you move to the Sheet Set Manager and select your pages, whatever was set in the layouts, (page set up) will plot as specified, including Window. which is what you just said, kinda.;)

Thanks Dana lol No arguing here! Just figuring out things together! :) So now we see that sheet sets are awesome and so is windowing layouts! Good drafting practices.

Thanks Dana lol No arguing here! Just figuring out things together! :) So now we see that sheet sets are awesome and so is windowing layouts! Good drafting practices.
It depends on what one is after. I always use Layout because I need accurately scaled shop drawings. The only way one can depend on Window being to scale is to draw that perfect rectangle that is exactly the same size as the paper, and extents, never happen. I will use window though, like when I am forcing an Arch D drawing onto a 11x17 ledger sized paper, shrink to fit.

Well thats where a good template comes in. Already pre plotted sheets where you just need to hit the print button, nothing else.

It depends on what one is after. I always use Layout because I need accurately scaled shop drawings. The only way one can depend on Window being to scale is to draw that perfect rectangle that is exactly the same size as the paper, and extents, never happen. I will use window though, like when I am forcing an Arch D drawing onto a 11x17 ledger sized paper, shrink to fit.

I totally disagree.

1.) The only way to ensure a properly scaled drawing is to plot it at 1:1. Once that is set, the options only designate what area to plot. It doesn't matter which of the FIVE options you choose.

2.) Drawing a window to the exact size of the paper can easily be done using coordinates. I don't know how much more accurate than that you can get.

This from AutoCAD help: (Notice that none of them mention scale.)

Layout/LimitsWhen plotting a layout, plots everything within the printable area of the specified paper size, with the origin calculated from 0,0 in the layout.

When plotting from the Model tab, plots the entire drawing area that is defined by the grid limits. If the current viewport does not display a plan view, this option has the same effect as the Extents option.

ExtentsPlots the portion of the current space of the drawing that contains objects. All geometry in the current space is plotted. The drawing may be regenerated to recalculate the extents before plotting.

DisplayPlots the view in the current viewport in the selected Model tab or the current paper space view in the layout.

ViewPlots a view that was previously saved with the VIEW command. You can select a named view from the list. If there are no saved views in the drawing, this option is unavailable.

When the View option is selected, a View list is displayed that lists the named views that are saved in the current drawing. You can select a view from this list to plot.

WindowPlots any portion of the drawing that you specify. When you select Window, the Window button becomes available. Click the Window button to use the pointing device to specify the two corners of the area to be plotted, or enter coordinate values.

While we can quibble over wording and terminology, I agree that "Layout" is generally the easiest and most reliable way to get the intended results. Unless you're plotting from Modelspace only, you've already set up the layout (pagesetup)... so why not use what you've already configured to ensure the Layout and the Plot match?

I agree the term "Layout" in the SSM is misleading as the same term is used for something different in page set-up.

To answer your question, sometimes a different format from the full size drawing is requested. Our check plots are often 1/2 size. Sometimes an 11x17 or 8.5x11 sheet scaled to fit is called for.

Layout/LimitsWhen plotting a layout, plots everything within the printable area of the specified paper size, with the origin calculated from 0,0 in the layout.
I've had many a time when this (the underlined) doesn't hold true. It depends on the acad setting for calculating layouts based on plotter margins or physical sheet - which isn't saved in a DWG, but rather in registry so it may differ between computers / versions.

Other than that there sometimes crops up a "bug" (at least IMO) - if someone's gone and did a manual window plot and clicked the Apply button ... all hell breaks loose on your publish setups. It's as if the "origin" of the layout has moved due to the window pick - but it only affects layout plotting, not if the setup also specifies a window. I've tried numerous times to fix this, but once windowing was done that layout never again wants to work properly with the layout option. For that reason my setups are always windowed (I previously tried Extents, but ran into similar issues about people placing stuff outside the TB). Not sure about what would happen if you throw SSL into the mix though, haven't used it extensively.

Note: I thought this was only on some old version (as nowadays I'm working 90% of the time in Revit). But the exact same thing happened just last week on Vanilla 2014!:o