revit programs

bjenk8100

Hello,

Two pretty simple general questions about Revit upgrades. I am comfortable with 2013. I used 2014 a few times and saw some differences but what I was doing was minuscule. Next week I start a new gig and they use 2015. Should I be worrisome at all. There any huge differences? I mean coming from AutoCAD to Revit was a slap in the face. I just don't want that to happen again. Also, what is the main difference between Revit Lt and Revit. I have been using roommate's and company's Revit for some time and it is time for my own. I want to purchase it and there is a big cost difference b/w the two. If it is like network and multiple user stuff for Revit then I do not need that stuff. I want the same interface though. Let me know what's up.

Tnx

There's not a lot of difference between 2014 and 2015 apart from enhancements here and there and bug fixes.

http://revitoped.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/new-feature-list-for-revit-2015.html

Revit LT has much less functionality than the regular version e.g. no 3rd party add-ins

http://www.autodesk.com.au/products/revit-lt/compare/compare-revit-products

hth

Hugh

i dont want any 2nd or 3rd party touching anything of mine in revit, autocad, life, politics, etc lol I am a single user. I dont like the big corp bs gigs. I like small engineering firms where a few get together and some do one thing and i do another and save smartly. Then just share families and share when you are done instead of f'n someones thing up without them even knowing. There is probably a way to run the program in previous version i guess much like other autodesk crap. Hail SolidWorks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're a one man show then Revit LT is a very real possibility. The main difference between the two... and by that I mean the show stopper... is Worksharing (aka: Central Models). LT doesn't support Worksharing, which is the ability for two or more people to access a Central Model at the same time through local copies. Other than that, Revit LT and full Revit are essentially the same.

As for your inquiry on going from 2014 to 2015... not to worry, the only significant change to Revit's core has been going from the original interface to the Ribbon back in 2010. Revit looks, feels, and functions exactly the same on the basic level. Even the very first versions of Revit look and feel exactly the same. The platform has only added features through the years. AutoCAD seems to be in the equivalent of a mid-life crisis... it keeps changing itself and trying new things. So it has been throwing lots of people off in the last five years or so.

And why was it a slap in the face for jumping from AutoCAD to Revit? Two completely different programs... what did you expect? Lol

Hope this helps. :)

My life for five years has been AutoCAD for 2D and SolidWorks for 3D and things worked well. I've tried AutoCAD for 3D many times and it just sux. Now, I still use AutoCAD for 2D, SolidWorks for 3D and Revit for 3D of buildings. I do not really use BIM tools yet. I want to start doing that for estimating purposes. Revit is just much different than both SolidWorks and AutoCAD. It is just a really smart program. Once you get the gist its great but it can take many many hours just to get the gist. On a side note, I think a monkey could figure out AutoCAD eventually.

• 4 weeks later...
LT doesn't support Worksharing, which is the ability for two or more people to access a Central Model at the same time through local copies.

Is there anyway for a sub-contractor to coordinate with a general contractor and other trades without this type of work sharing?

Will LT allow you to export to AutoCAD or .IFC?

Will LT allow you to link or import CAD?

Thanks.

Read here:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/revit-lt/compare/compare-revit-products

• Export to AutoCAD or IFC - Yes.
  • Link or Import DWG - Yes.
  • MEP Tools - No.
  • Collaboration - No.

Hertz, with you being an electrical contractor/designer, it's pretty much a requirement that you have the full version. It would be almost of no use without it given your trade background.

And for hypothetical reasons, lets assume all you needed was Revit LT. To answer your question if A&E firms would have problems with the builds, well... most A&E firms use Worksharing (eg: Collaboration Tools) and thus you would be unable to use their models.