Civil 3D 2014 very slow

djolegaf

Hi everyone,

this is first time that I am posting on this forum, and I hope that I will get help. I am using Civil 3D 2014, and a couple days ago I changed my ATI HD 4850 with Nvidia GTX 570 2.5GB. And I did not noticed any improvement with new card! My road is about 5 km long, I have about 3000 points, surface, alignment and corridor are in different dwg files and are connected through Data Shortcuts. And I still have problem with viewing corridor in 3D orbit, even in 2D Wireframe everything is so slow, almost as when I had old 4850. Grip edit in alignment is simply impossible, superelevation edit is slow as it was before upgrade. I was hoped that I will get a better performance with GTX 570, since it is powerful card, but now I am very disappointed. So I am interested does any of you had experience with this GPU, did had similar problems with slow workflow of civil 3d, or problem is maybe in some other component. My cpu is Phenom II X4 960T, RAM 4GB 1800MHz DDR3 (it never goes over 60-70 % load), SATA HDD. I will be glad if someone could help me with proper advice, since I will not be happy if I should change my GPU again!

Yes, I agree with that, but when I look at RAM resources monitor, it not use over 3gb of ram, and every single core of processor is no more than 50-60% (and only one at a time). But my hard is working from time to time, so maybe Civil puts data on HDD in virtual memory because of low RAM? My corridor dwg is 15MB, and alignment and surface dwgs are about 2.5MB

I think you need to install more RAM. In the meantime you might try tweaking your virtual memory settings and additionally shut down all other programs that are running in the background like antivirus, browser, MS Office, etc. and see what happens.

And what about alignments edit? Does it means that even with pro card (Quadro 2000 or better) and 8+GB of RAM I will still have problems with viewing and editing large corridors? If that so, then maybe is better solution to find some other software for road design, since the time that I spend for creating designs is very important to me.

when I look at RAM resources monitor, it not use over 3gb of ram

Wait, wait, wait: which Windows are you running with, 32 or 64 bit..?

Win 64bit, I see all 4GB. Yesterday I have noticed when Civil get stuck, RAM memory use increases from 60% to 80-85%, and Virtual memory from 30% to 40-50%, if that means something?

if that means something?

Seems like your hard disk is heavily defragmented, so the swapfile and the TEMP ones are struggling to find room in that mess.

Bootstrap your Windows in "Safe Mode", then run the free powerful Defraggler by Pirisoft, sir.

I don't think so, since I use defragmentation once in a week, and there is no better results. But I will try with software that you are recommended. So far I have used windows default defragmenter.

4Gb is the min recommended (see below). In my limited exposure to Civil3D and civil projects I would say invest in RAM, SSD, CPU (MHz over cores) then GPU

For 64-bit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014

• Windows® 8 Professional edition or Windows 7® (recommended) Enterprise, Ultimate, or Professional edition operating system
  • AMD Athlon™ 64 processor with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron™ processor with SSE2 technology, Intel® Xeon processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2, or Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
  • 4 GB RAM minimum (8 GB recommended)
  • 12 GB disk space for installation (7 GB for electronic download with at least 2 GB free after installation)
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter (1,600 x 1,200 with true color recommended; multiple monitors are supported)
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7 or later
  • DVD drive

Additional 3D modeling requirements

• Pentium 4 or Athlon processor, 3.0 GHz or greater, or Intel or AMD dual-core processor, 2.0 GHz or greater
  • 8 GB RAM or more
  • 2 GB free hard disk available, not including installation requirements
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D® capable workstation class graphics card (1,600 x 1,200 display with true color recommended; multiple monitors are supported)

4Gb is the min recommended (see below). In my limited exposure to Civil3D and civil projects I would say invest in RAM, SSD, CPU (MHz over cores) then GPU

For 64-bit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014

• Windows® 8 Professional edition or Windows 7® (recommended) Enterprise, Ultimate, or Professional edition operating system
  • AMD Athlon™ 64 processor with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron™ processor with SSE2 technology, Intel® Xeon processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2, or Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
  • 4 GB RAM minimum (8 GB recommended)
  • 12 GB disk space for installation (7 GB for electronic download with at least 2 GB free after installation)
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter (1,600 x 1,200 with true color recommended; multiple monitors are supported)
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7 or later
  • DVD drive

Additional 3D modeling requirements

• Pentium 4 or Athlon processor, 3.0 GHz or greater, or Intel or AMD dual-core processor, 2.0 GHz or greater
  • 8 GB RAM or more
  • 2 GB free hard disk available, not including installation requirements
  • 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D® capable workstation class graphics card (1,600 x 1,200 display with true color recommended; multiple monitors are supported)

I need good graphic for Infraworks. Regarding to other hardware, I will buy another 4 or 8GB of RAM these days, but SSD and new CPU have to wait.