Help to Smart Title block

Pelle

Hi Guys

I'm trying to make a "Smart" title block (My own name for it). The thing is that I think it takes way to long time to write the various text in a title block, so I'm trying to make it easier.

It have brought me to this stage where I need help to to problems. Both of them is where in need an IF-command (Excel term) but I don't know how to do this in Autocad.

In my title block I have to boxes. One is a "Status" (A, B, C & D) and the second is "Purpose of Issue". I would like the "POS" to automatic change from APPROVAL to CONSTRUCTION when the Status box gets to A.

Can you guys help me with this?

The other thing is my REVISION box. I don't know with you but I forget to update this little important box all the time, when I make a revision. I have three boxes where there are room to write revisions in. I then want my revision box to find the highest number in the three boxes. But I don't know how. Can you help me with this also?

These two commands would be so easy to do in excel, but I don't understand the system in AutoCAD and I have search on the internet for almost 3 days now, without any luck.

:)

Have you explored the FIELD command.. You can link a FIELD within the title block to another piece of text within the titleblock.. then everytime you REGEN or re-open your file the text will update. This is how I have my titleblocks set up so that I either have a field connected to Drawing Properties custom tabs or to other components of the titleblock that way you type it once and it updates throughout.

What you need is a dynamic block, thats how you make something smart. Something along the lines shown in the attached dwg, if you can post a drawing showing the different values you use (ie what is in the status box at approval stage, and how are your revision notes laid out) it would be easier to give some examples.

Status.dwg

Hi Guys.

Thanks for you respond. I have tried FIELDS, but I can't get it to work. I'm not using SheetsSet, because that will be to big a difference from what people normally did.

I have attached a drawing where my current template is in, then it maybe is easier for you guys to see how I have set it up now.

SMARTTITLE.dwg

What is the logic behind how you choose Approval or Construction, in your first post you mentioned A=Construction, and in your attached drawing D=Approval

The "logic" is that when the status says D and then go to C and then B then the drawing is an Approval drawing. When it in the end gets an A status then it's Construction.

I don't know if its logic. Im danish but I work in UK and I have never had this Approval before.

OK so something like this. The revision would be possible with Lisp but I can't help with that, revision boxes tend to change with time - lines are added etc - which make it more difficult to really plan.

SMARTTITLEa.dwg

OK so something like this. The revision would be possible with Lisp but I can't help with that, revision boxes tend to change with time - lines are added etc - which make it more difficult to really plan.

Hmm.. It dosen't seem to change by it self om my computer. Does your "Purpose of issue" change by it self when you update the status?

Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to "regen" after you make a change, I have my machine setup to regen regularly so I often forget about it.

Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to "regen" after you make a change, I have my machine setup to regen regularly so I often forget about it.

No worries Steve, I'm just very happy that you want to help.

I can't get it to work. Maybe it's me. If I change the Status to "B" and then use "regen" does the "Purpose of issue" then change on your computer?

Pelle, for D,C and B "Purpose of issue" shows Approval, when changed to A "Purpose of issue" changes to Construction

PS are you changing the value using the lookup grip in the title block - or in the properties palette, and not by double clicking on the block and using the attribute editor, because that would stop it working.

PS are you changing the value using the lookup grip in the title block - or in the properties palette, and not by double clicking on the block and using the attribute editor, because that would stop it working.

It's working now. Thanks Steve.

I did go through the "double click", so that was why it didn't work.

Thank you very much for this Steve :D

Your welcome, you could do something similar for the revision, but as I said, that gets more complicated as the number of revisions starts to increase