block requirements

avoc42

Hi all,

I need to accomplish the following:

Place a block labelled AB-101 on layout 1

the same block labelled A-101 on layout 2

and the same block labelled B-101 on layout 3.

Any suggestions for doing this more efficiently than creating three separate layers, and three separate copies of the block for each layout?

Thanks much,

Donna

One copy of the block in modelspace. Three layouts, each with one viewport looking at the block in modelspace. Three text labels, one on each layout page. That's it. No other more efficient way.

Well, you could always insert the block on each layout, but will it fit? Is it smaller or larger than your page size? Anyway, this way is a waste of software, energy and class time.

What do layers have to do with it? Is this a class assignment?

I have attached an example of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Note that each block is the same block with different attributes.

Thanks for your help!

Dana W: not a class assignment

BIGAL: can I somehow assign three different attributes depending on what layout I am in? (blocks are not my forte!:unsure:

BHMW - Standard.zip

RETRO EDIT:

I have attached an example of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Note that each block is the same block with different attributes.

I went back and re-read some.

Wait. A sample? Isn't this the drawing you have done? I am a little confused. Do you want to fix this drawing or make one like it? Do you want to use this exact block, or make a new one similar to it?

My pre EDIT response:

You also might have mentioned attributes up front. I thought you meant label when you said label.

I looked at your drawing. You have one block in modelspace with attributes. In each of your layouts you have a viewport looking at the block. By the way, you have left all three viewports active in modelspace.

The block is currently already prepared for your task.

All you need to do is go to each layout, double click inside the viewport to get to modelspace (unless it is already), double click the attribute, and change it to what you need. Double click outside the viewport to go back to paperspace, then rinse and repeat twice more.

I did it in your drawing just to make sure the block would work. It does.

A couple of extra questions why is the block at the same point and 3 times ? Ok it has different attributes but I still do not understand, why would a object change its attribute depending on layout makes no sense. Now if your talking about a title block that is completely different. The dwg has no real details other than the block I think you need to explain a lot more what you are doing.

I have not looked at the block yet but I think I know what is going on here. I don't think you can have the same instance of an attribute give different values depending on the viewport that it is in. What if all of those viewports were on the same sheet? AutoCAD would not know which one to display. You need three entities and three layers. You don't necessarily need three instances of the block on different layers, though. You could have three attributes within that block, each on different layers, and turn off the two that you don't want to appear within a particular viewport.

I have not looked at the block yet but I think I know what is going on here. I don't think you can have the same instance of an attribute give different values depending on the viewport that it is in. What if all of those viewports were on the same sheet? AutoCAD would not know which one to display. You need three entities and three layers. You don't necessarily need three instances of the block on different layers, though. You could have three attributes within that block, each on different layers, and turn off the two that you don't want to appear within a particular viewport.
Well, I must have been very tired when I first looked at this. Of course you are correct. What I said cannot be done. I'll write this one off due to my inexperience with the depths of attribute handling. It would be a good trick if it could be done with one block, and three attributes. Can separate attributes on different layers be filtered by viewport layer control?

The example drawing actually has three instances of the same block superimposed at the same position. This is something I did not look for the first time. Each of the three viewports, whether on the same sheet or not, only shows one block and its attribute through viewport layer control. This is a pretty wasteful way to do it. If it's a block, why not put it in paperspace, one per layout, or one per viewport?