Probably a dumb question, but I need some help.

KAnderson09

This is my first ever attempt at learning AutoCAD and I'm having some issues.

After I've chosen the starting points for a line, a box shows up and I'm not able to access the command line unless I enter something into it. E.G. 12,

As soon as I hit that comma the box disappears until I plot my next point.

Its incredibly inconvenient and I was wondering if there was any way to shut that option off?

Thanks for your help.

AutoCAD problem.jpg

This is my first ever attempt at learning AutoCAD and I'm having some issues.

By definition, this cannot possibly be a dumb question, as you do not yet know better... Welcome to CADTutor! :thumbsup:

After I've chosen the starting points for a line, a box shows up and I'm not able to access the command line unless I enter something into it. E.G. 12,

As soon as I hit that comma the box disappears until I plot my next point.

Its incredibly inconvenient and I was wondering if there was any way to shut that option off?

Try toggling dynamic input off using F12.

Cheers

Personally, I think I would learn how to use that Dynamic Input box, but (I'm going from memory here) can't you simply click in the command line to get access again to enter your numbers there?

Personally, I think I would learn how to use that Dynamic Input box, but (I'm going from memory here) can't you simply click in the command line to get access again to enter your numbers there?

Correct; I use dynamic input for production myself, but to be fair, I first grew to a proficiency level where it became advantageous to my work.

Cheers

With dynamic input on, you can simply type any command at any time, anywhere the cursor happens to be. That's why it's called Dynamic Input. Basically the "little box" is your command line. It eliminates the laborious and time consuming effort it takes to click the cursor into the command line.

Do you guys click the command bar? I never click there ever, I just type and go. I feel the dynamic input is annoying as well.

Why do you need to click in the command bar?

I type numbers and hotkeys and commands, never click the command line once.

Dynamic Input probably annoying if we use vanilla AutoCAD. But it's useful when you use verticals. And occasional users probably prefer that.

Dynamic Input probably annoying if we use vanilla AutoCAD. But it's useful when you use verticals. And occasional users probably prefer that.

I have never used any of the AutoCAD verticals (unless you count MDT of more than 10 yrs ago). I prefer to use Dynamic Input and Polar Tracking when I do use vanilla AutoCAD.