Creating restrictions in Revit

Shiloh

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with this since it's driving me crazy. I am VERY new to Revit after many years of AutoCAD and the learning curve is not going well for me. We're trying to create restrictions on a wall section of ventilated facade so that they cannot be modified. Let me explain a little more...With a metal sub structure ventilated facade system we have certain distances we have to respect (because of the characteristics of the system) from the enclosure (building) wall to the exterior face of the cladding and we would like to make some wall sections to pass on to architects so that they know the limitations as far as minimum and maximum distances. What we don't want is to send these to them and have them modify these distances causing problems later. So, for example I have a system that can be regulated between 13.5cm to a max. of 17.0cm from face of wall to face of cladding. I would like the architect to be able to change the thickness of the facing material, insulation, etc. but force him to work within these two measurements. Is there any way to do this? I've attached an example so you can maybe see my problem

Salidas 40-60-80-100-Model.jpg

Locking the Dimension or Adding constraint should do it

but i am not very experienced just like yourself. I am sure someone will give you a detailed answer

I don't think that level of constraint is possible. But just in case I'm wrong, you should sign up over at RevitForum.org and ask the question there. I'm an MEP background, and over at the site I mentioned has all the trades, and guys that are guru's, which I do not label myself as.

:)

Well if that turns out to be possible that would be really cool, but wouldn't it be a simple matter to just tell them those are the constraints they have to work with? and if there are multiple instances with different constraints then just make a notes page and attach it :)

I really don't think it's possible. For that to be possible you'd essentially have to lock out everything related to editing or creating a wall, and that's just not an option. All one has to do is "duplicate" a Wall Family Type and make edits, and reapply to walls. And constraining System Families in a project can have devastating effects on overall project performance. But, there may be a way. I'm just not in the architectural realm so I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It didn't seem too viable to me and I agree that locking a user out of an element isn't a great idea. It's a debate I've had with "the powers that be" and I maintain that it's more important how we give the information than restricting what they can do with a drawing because the simple changing of cladding thickness affects these measurements and we would be restricting clients which I don't think is a good thing.

The simple answer is to call it out on the drawing as MIN/MAX distances. You can stress it by adding a note to the drawing saying that if materials are changed that these distances must be maintained. It's simple collaboration. You can reinforce it even more so by stating it when you send the drawing and mention it to them in a conversation.

IMHO, trying to lock the drawing is just silly and in poor taste.

I am just shooting in the dark here and I do not consider myself an expert by any means so this is speculation only, but is there a way to utilize these distances in a lookup table and PW protect the file the lookup table is referring to?

I haven't really played with lookup tables at all yet but if you can specify a min and max distance in there that could be a possibility.