3D assemblies

Newton his

Hi,

I am new to autocad used to work in pro/e. Can u make assemblies of multiple parts in autocad 2015. As I looked it seems you need the civil version to do this.

You could fake it but what you should be using is Inventor not AutoCAD. Any way, LT (if that is what you are really using) can only do 2 1/2D not true 3D.

Edited by ReMark

I would imagine assemblies in Civil 3D are different than mechanical assemblies from Pro/E. The short answer is "no" you can not. Inventor or SolidWorks is the program you're looking for, and AutoCAD LT does not have the 3D environment or tools one would required for even basic geometry creation and editing, as ReMark has already noted.

You will have to look beyond the AutoCAD platform for these needs to be fulfilled.

Can u make assemblies of multiple parts in autocad 2015. As I looked it seems you need the civil version to do this.

Yes, of course you can make assemblies of multiple parts in AutoCAD.

I have no idea why you would think you need civil version to do this? By what logic?

Newton his,

'Assemblies" as generally referred to in Pro/e, Solidworks, Inventor are for the most part not something that is known in AutoCAD.

But, that doesn't mean you can't construct an assembly in AutoCAD (heck, I've been doing it for over 20 years). It just hinges on your approach. Remember an assembly is simply a gathering of individual components. In AutoCAD you can accomplish this by creating individual layers for separate components. That's the way I go about it but I'm sure there are other ways of going about it.

Edit: seeing that you are on LT however that eliminate the possibility of creating assemblies consisting of solid bodies.

You basic question was answered - now for the specifics

You will not have assembly mate constraints as you are used to in Pro/E - only spatial positioning of parts relative to each other. (you can xref (External Reference) the part files into a master file or do it all in one file.

You will not have kinematics on remaining Degrees of Freedom. No assembly constraints - no locked DOFs.

Say goodbye to your hair.

(Are you sure they aren't getting a suite with Inventor?)