Have mutiple drawings open and have them in tabs?

James

Many thanks Norts works a treat.

Only loaded a version for 2005 a few months ago and aleady got so used to going to the tabs to switch between drawings.

cheers

Stephen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• Norts

• James

• rkmcswain

the version i've uploaded is specific for 2007, BUT it also works for 2008.

btw. MDI = Multiple Document Interface

amazing what you can find on google :)

Guest Alan Cullen
If you only learn one new future about 2008, ensure it is the annotation tools.

they're simply awesome

Blue.....

I'll get back to you on that one as soon as I sort out the migration problem......

Cheers, mate

Dingo......

yep i have.

download the attachment, unzip it to a folder on your local machine (somewhere useful, like where you keep your customisations).

then type APPLOAD in command line of AutoCAD, and place this file in the Contents of Startup Suite.

What can i say Norts But;-

FAN- DABBY- DOSEY

If you only learn one new future about 2008, ensure it is the annotation tools.

they're simply awesome

Norts,

you have obviously looked into this subject thoroughly. Are there advantages in using these annotation tools instead of simply adding dimensions, notes, etc in paper space?

Norts,

you have obviously looked into this subject thoroughly. Are there advantages in using these annotation tools instead of simply adding dimensions, notes, etc in paper space?

I wouldn't say I've looked into them thoroughly as I only started 'playing' with them properly earlier this week.

But yes, there are advantages (and perhaps disadvantages also), but I shall leave that upto each and every one of you to figure out for yourself.

"I don't want to teach my granny how to suck eggs."

Guest Alan Cullen

Good one, Thaumaturge.....

You sort it out with Blue.....then when I've sorted out my migration problem, I'l read these posts and catch up (hopefully)......:roll:

Guest Alan Cullen
Alan,

Is it the migrating season?

Only if you're trying to migrate from from 2007 to 2008.....and stuffed up your installation of 2007 in the first place......:(

But you live to learn......:lol:

one lesson i have learnt in migrating customisations and settings, is to keep all personalised customisation in one folder, then in AutoCAD, simply add that folder to the support paths.

it is much simpler to keep things up-to-date, AND for migration purposes also.

i personally use the CaeLink DWG Tab Manager. it's free and it's the best in my personal opinion. :)

I use this one as well and have also installed it on just about every CAD machine here. It works great and it's free!

Guest Alan Cullen
I use this one as well and have also installed it on just about every CAD machine here. It works great and it's free!

Sean.....

What does it do.......

My problem is I changed the default directory for 2007 when I installed it....so when I installed 2008....the migration didn't occur because 2007 wasn't where acad expected it to be.....

Sean.....

What does it do.......

My problem is I changed the default directory for 2007 when I installed it....so when I installed 2008....the migration didn't occur because 2007 wasn't where acad expected it to be.....

Alan, it adds an Excel like tab to show what drawings you have open at the same time. It's nice in that it shows them better than the window menu in Acad and it does not show the tabs in the Windows taskbar but in the Acad window where they should be. Have a look see....

Acad-tabs.jpg

Sean.....

What does it do.......

Why did you change the directory? I though that it looks to see what AutoCAD version you have installed. Did you drag the arx file into an open Acad window? That's how you install it IIRC.

Let me know if that helps.

Alan, it adds an Excel like tab to show what drawings you have open at the same time. It's nice in that it shows them better than the window menu in Acad and it does not show the tabs in the Windows taskbar but in the Acad window where they should be. Have a look see....

Acad-tabs.jpg

Rah! I've been pondering the possibility of this.

On a similar topic, with regards to just having multiple dwgs open within the same CAD window, I know about the SDI command, but even when I set it to 1, it will still not allow me to open another drawing from withing AutoCAD's "Open File" diaglogue box. I can open numerous drawings from a Windows Explorer window, but just not within CAD itself.

It's nothing of major significance, but does someone happen to know why the SDI variable doesn't seem to matter?

Hmm.

F1 and ye shall receive:

"Note In future releases of AutoCAD, the SDI system variable will be removed. At present, SDI is available but it is not supported."

Guest Alan Cullen
Why did you change the directory? I though that it looks to see what AutoCAD version you have installed. Did you drag the arx file into an open Acad window? That's how you install it IIRC.

Let me know if that helps.

Mate,

I was being half stupid.....I liked all my main software at the top of the folder structure so I could access any part of it in explorer....I didn't know about sticking rigidly to the default installation paths under program files......But I found out all about that yesterday......

So now everyone......you can all call me a total DH.......:oops: :oops: As long as you all learn from my mistake.......:roll:

Anyway, Sean.....I'll check that out on Monday....thanks, mate......

Mate,

I was being half stupid.....I liked all my main software at the top of the folder structure so I could access any part of it in explorer....I didn't know about sticking rigidly to the default installation paths under program files......But I found out all about that yesterday......

So now everyone......you can all call me a total DH.......:oops: :oops: As long as you all learn from my mistake.......:roll:

Anyway, Sean.....I'll check that out on Monday....thanks, mate......

Yeah, no worries mate, I did this once way back when myself and it caused some trouble with the application. I believe that it was with MS Office 2000 and since then I just let the program go where it wants to. Most programs won't mind a different location when installing but no point in throwing a wrench into the works I guess ;)

Cheers Alan