Yet Another Bad Linetype Definition Thread

dal-designs

Why? because all the other threads I've checked did not solve the problem.

The problem is, if I go to LINETYPE => Load, I get the following error:

Bad definition of FENCELINE1 at line 119 of file C://Users/danlun/Documents/ACAD/CAD Resources/acad.lin

This then repeats for Fenceline2 (line 121), TRACKS (line 123), BATTING (line 125), ZIGZAG (line 137), and PROPLINE (line 154). This started when I modified a copy of the original acad.lin with a custom linetype called PROPLINE which looks like so:

*PROPLINE,Property Line ___ _ _ ___ PL ___ _ _ ___ PL ___ _

A,.5,-.2,["PL",STANDARD,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.2

Note that this was placed at the end of the file in the "User Defined Linetypes Add any linetypes that you define to this section" etc etc section. None of the other linetypes ACAD seems to be having trouble with was touched in any way- I just added PROPLINE.

Now, here's what I've tried so far to fix the problem:

1) triple-checked that the acad.lin file I need is in the support file search path.

2) deleted C://Users/danlun/Documents/ACAD/CAD Resources/acad.lin from the support file search path, and moved the correct path to top.

3) moved acad.lin to C://Users/danlun/Documents/ACAD/CAD Resources/ and added it to the support file search path (and deleted the other from there)

4) every iteration of FONTALT I can think of, including . for None

5) moved acadiso.lin out of the same folder (someone on another forum suggested ACAD might somehow be getting confused between the two .lin files)

None of the above worked. The only thing I haven't tried is retrieving my default copy of acad.lin and trashing the modified version because, you know, I kinda need that PROPLINE linetype.

Any ideas?

Edited by dal-designs
Clarity

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dal-designs

• ReMark

• rkmcswain

• Dana W

I simply would have put my new linetype (call it Propline.lin) in the same folder as the original acad.lin file was in and called it a day. Or create a new MyCustom.lin file and put all my custom lines in there never to be mixed in with the standard AutoCAD linetypes.

Just curious. Did you ever run the FINDFILE command back before you mucked around in the folders to verify the correct path to acad.lin?

I ran two tests. First I loaded your linetype separately, from my Desktop, in AutoCAD 2015 to check if it worked. It did. Then I edited the acad.lin file for AutoCAD 2014, started the program, loaded the linetype and it worked. Bottom line (no pun intended) you mucked things up. I'd restore the original acad.lin back where AutoCAD had it in the first place and test. If it works then make a copy (in the same folder) and edit the original acad.lin by adding your new linetype to the end of the file followed by at least one space then save. Start AutoCAD and test.

If you really really need to know what went bad, find ALL the copies of acad.lin on your computer, and post the files for others to see.

Otherwise just do as ReMark suggests.

Just curious. Did you ever run the FINDFILE command back before you mucked around in the folders to verify the correct path to acad.lin?

Nope. That just finds a file, right? I accomplished the same thing (albeit a lot slower) with Windows explorer.

As to your other suggestion: I'll try that next. Restore my untouched acad.lin to its default location, quadruple-check that the support path is added, and make a new .lin file just for PROPLINE. Silly me- I just assumed that if Autodesk says things like, "Add any linetypes that you define to this section" that means I can edit it without the world ending.

Yes, you can add a custom linetype to the acad.lin file and the world as you know it won't end. I already proved that. You just made a mistake somewhere along the way that's all. Now you have to fix it.

Re: FINDFILE

Type this at the command line EXACTLY as shown then press Enter.....

(findfile"acad.lin")

The path that is returned is the path to the source file AutoCAD is using. It may not necessarily be the file you edited.

OK, this is what I did:

6. made an attempt at creating the custom property line type as a separate .pat file. Moved it out of support path.

7. ran findfile. Discovered that the path autoCAD is using is, indeed, correct. AutoCAD and I are looking at the same destination.

8. deleted that acad.pat, and replaced it with an unsullied, unaltered acad.pat file copied from a co-worker's computer.

The problem persists, except that now it does not call the custom property line type a bad definition, I guess because it is no longer there...

EDIT: I noticed that FENCELINE1 (----0----0----0) and FENCELINE2 (---[]---[]---[]---) are missing the 0 and [], respectively- there are just gaps instead of the text bits.

Edited by dal-designs
New information!

I hope you are actually editing the acad.lin file and not the acad.pat file as mentioned in your last post.

Did you try the advice in post #3?

Are you using a Metric or Imperial template?

I hope you are actually editing the acad.lin file and not the acad.pat file as mentioned in your last post.

Whoops, sorry. I'm fighting with acad.lin, not acad.pat. Just a typo there... I did indeed try what ReMark suggested- and I am looking at the same file that ACAD is. Eldon's suggestion is moot now, since (theoretically) all copies of acad.lin on my PC should be exactly the same now, regardless of location.

I am using Imperial template.

OK....looks like you don't want to follow my advice by returning things back to normal. Sooner or later you'll figure it out. In the meantime I'm using your linetype in my acad.lin for AutoCAD 2014 with no problems. Thanks.

OK....looks like you don't want to follow my advice by returning things back to normal.

I don't understand. By using findfile to verify that the acad.lin file that I was editing was indeed the one AutoCAD is also referencing, and by replacing the acad.lin that I was editing with a copy that I know is correct, and by (an attempt at) making the PROP_LINE script its own .lin file, did I not do exactly what you suggested?

And anyway, I don't know if the PROP_LINE line type is the problem, because I get errors even after I restored the acad.lin to its original form...

Something doesn't sound right. Before you went through all this you weren't experiencing any problems with acad.lin right? Now you are.

There is nothing wrong with your linetype as far as I can see. Did you try loading it all by itself like I did?

because I get errors even after I restored the acad.lin to its original form...

Of course you do, because your addition of PROPLINE at the end of the file did not cause problems on line 119.

The common factor in Fenceline (line 119), Fenceline2 (line 121), TRACKS (line 123), BATTING (line 125), ZIGZAG (line 137) is the shape file it references, which is ltypeshp.shx

Paste this to the command line (findfile "ltypeshp.shx")

What does it return?

When you find this file, put the SHX file, the LIN file, and other custom, personal goodies in a new empty directory (for example "C:\CADSTUFF") - then add this path to the TOP of your support file search path (SFSP) - and you're done forever.

When you upgrade or get a new machine, all you have to do is add the path to the SFSP.

ReMark- I was always having trouble with FENCELINE1 FENCELINE2, TRACKS, BATTING, ZIGZAG, and PROPLINE as far as the "Bad definition" error goes. FENCELINE1 and FENCELINE2 still show up, but sans text.

rkmcswain- I discovered that the path to ltypeshp.shx was in a different location than acad.lin. So I followed your advice and copied both to a new, otherwise empty folder, added that path to support path list, and moved it to the top. Restarted AutoCAD.

Still giving me the same error. Shall I post the contents of my acad.lin file next, or could ltypeshp.shx be corrupt somehow?

I suppose that we will never see the file that was causing the problem.

Perhaps AutoCAD chose that moment to have a wobbly, and on rebooting regained its composure.

I suppose that we will never see the file that was causing the problem.

Perhaps AutoCAD chose that moment to have a wobbly, and on rebooting regained its composure.

Would you like to see the ACAD file that I'm working with too? I just attached the acad.lin file for ReMark. I also restarted ACAD, so...*shrug*

If worst comes to worst I guess I can have IT reinstall ACAD and set everything back to default for sure.

CL Thomas Civil Template 0.1.dwg

Before I'd go that far I'd do a REPAIR. If there is a corrupt file it would be replaced along with any others that are found.

I think eldon was referring to the acad.lin file you appended your custom linetype to.