Unitless blocks - insunitsdeftarget

soleary

Anyone know what the insunitsdeftarget variable actually does? It seems to have no effect on the block once the insunitsdefsource is set. I have read the explanation here on cadtutor but still can't seem to work it out....

The variable INSUNITSDEFTARGET temporarily assigns a drawing unit to the target drawing. This only affects scaling of the block and not the target drawing as a whole. The available settings are the same as for INSUNITS.

For me the block is scaled according to the insunitsdefsource variable???

I'm still none the wiser with this. I thought that if you copy|paste a block from one drawing to another you might be able to force the target drawing to accept unitless blocks to a given scale - but if I was doing it right, it didn't have any affect.

we had a couple of guys from our supplier in here today and I was going to ask them what it does but we took so long discussing our furture needs we ran out of time.

I'm begining to think it was put in to balance the "source" default but it never got coded.

I'm still none the wiser with this. I thought that if you copy|paste a block from one drawing to another you might be able to force the target drawing to accept unitless blocks to a given scale - but if I was doing it right, it didn't have any affect.

we had a couple of guys from our supplier in here today and I was going to ask them what it does but we took so long discussing our furture needs we ran out of time.

I'm begining to think it was put in to balance the "source" default but it never got coded.

Thank you very much for looking into it Dave. I'm none the wiser either :) but I do appreciate your help.

Thie insunitsdeftarget will only work if the drawing u are inserting the block into has a insunit setting of 0. if not it will not work
Yes I know this, hence 'unitless' in the title. Have you tried it? I can't create an example of where it is obvious what it does.

I was looking at it back to front. If you have a unitless drawing you can force the scale of an incomming unitless block. Set *terget* to 1 and the block comes in at 1:0,04 and set it to 4 and the block comes in at 1:1

so the target drawing is the current drawing.

I was looking at it back to front. If you have a unitless drawing you can force the scale of an incomming unitless block. Set *terget* to 1 and the block comes in at 1:0,04 and set it to 4 and the block comes in at 1:1

so the target drawing is the current drawing.

Thanks again Dave. I had worked out that the source is the block and the target is the current drawing. However, I still can't create an example to show the variable working.

I just simply created a unitless block of a square 10 units by 10 units. I created a new drawing and inserted the block. If I change the insunitsdefsource the block changes scale accordingly (hence 'forcing' the scale of the block). However, if I change inunitsdeftarget the block doesn't change scale at all.

Did you do something different to this?

I had changed my InsTarget=1 yesterday and forgot about it. Today I inserted an exploded drawing into my currrent drawing and it came in at 1:0.04 (or thereabouts). I then changed my InsTarget=4 and the drawing came in at 1:1. Everything else was set to 0, left over from yesterday.

I had changed my InsTarget=1 yesterday and forgot about it. Today I inserted an exploded drawing into my currrent drawing and it came in at 1:0.04 (or thereabouts). I then changed my InsTarget=4 and the drawing came in at 1:1. Everything else was set to 0, left over from yesterday.

This one still has me snookered!! I'll try to play around with it later. Thanks.

• 11 years later...