How to sketch Turbo Actuator Flange?

segmo85

I see a lot of new bolts/brackets and old parts here. Are you using used/salvaged parts and fabricating brackets? I'd say this is a linkage issue, and not a bracket issue.

I'd look into why there is a threaded boss on the header side of the turbo right there at the end of the actuator push rod. That's a perfect place for a bell-crank. Since the threads inside the boss are as corroded as the outside, there may not have ever been a bell-crank on there though. Also, why are there no threads on the actuator rod?

I see a need for a linkage with Heim joints on both ends and a flat "Z" bend in it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• segmo85

• ReMark

• Dana W

• zaphod

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*EDIT*

After re-reading your first post and paying more attention, I may have steered you in the wrong direction before. It seems you want to literally just "copy" the part? In that case...

Clamp the piece down against a straight edge, like a metal set square. Then get a digital vernier caliper set. If you have another straight edge, you can run along one side, inch by inch and "piece together" the part. I did a similar method on a project I started a while back here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?71752-Modeling-my-Fender-Squier-Stratocaster-fun-project-for-me

Also consider tracing it on a piece of paper and scanning it in on a flatbed scanner. This is one way to at least get it started.

Sorry for the confusing first half of the post! :)

Ill be making same flange and all bolt location but needs slight modification to have the flange bend. As im trying to explain in post 1 and pic2.

Thanks Tanner for suggestion and that project guitar is nice work good stuff. Will consider this tracing method ask to any link and more info ?

I see a lot of new bolts/brackets and old parts here. Are you using used/salvaged parts and fabricating brackets? I'd say this is a linkage issue, and not a bracket issue.

I'd look into why there is a threaded boss on the header side of the turbo right there at the end of the actuator push rod. That's a perfect place for a bell-crank. Since the threads inside the boss are as corroded as the outside, there may not have ever been a bell-crank on there though. Also, why are there no threads on the actuator rod ?

I see a need for a linkage with Heim joints on both ends and a flat "Z" bend in it.

the actuator and bracket there an aftermarket parts(brand new) I'm trying to modified to fit, as to turbo and headers there standard(apart from my dump pipe) with the threaded boss that was just bold down my heat shield.if you look at my 1st post PIC 2 that was where my original actuator sat. actuator gate open fine i don't see any problem with it, ass to thread on rod i chop it long story. at end my biggest issue is the bracket not rod. im here too seek help and advise to fab bracket not to diagnose bell crack or corroded headers. anyway thanks for advice.

im here too seek help and advise to fab bracket not to diagnose bell crack or corroded headers. anyway thanks for advice.
Never mind. If you don't want to offer more background information, that is fine. The mention of the bell crank and threaded boss was not to diagnose why the threads were corroded or to criticize what you are doing. I had a reason for it, but it seems lost in the mist now. I'll take my 45 years of hotrodding experience and go somewhere else.

Hey guys need help I can not print my sketch to real scale on A4 paper? I've tried setting plot and played with scale setting(1:1 etc) no luck. By the way I'm using cadiso template here I have an attached image but dunno how to attached dwg file. can anyone show me to what I'm doing wrong ?

much appreciated

James.

I managed to print it 1 to 1. 1st I copied the drawing into a new drawing, then I used the scale command (SC) and selected everything. After I selected the base point when prompted to enter the scale factor I use a almost forgotten command 'CAL. For the expression I entered 1/25.4, hope this helps. I have never tried to do a 1 to 1 print in millimeters, I'm not saying it can't be done, just not by me ATM.

12-3-14 001.jpg

6mm.PNG

6mm.dwg

to enter the scale factor I use a almost forgotten command 'CAL. For the expression I entered 1/25.4,

Hey zaphod cheers for that. but I'm still having trouble following this part of your instruction

bump can anyone help need it scale in mm.

Hey guys need help I can not print my sketch to real scale on A4 paper? I've tried setting plot and played with scale setting(1:1 etc) no luck. By the way I'm using cadiso template here I have an attached image but dunno how to attached dwg file. can anyone show me to what I'm doing wrong ?

much appreciated

James.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51845[/ATTACH]

Never mind. If you don't want to offer more background information, that is fine. The mention of the bell crank and threaded boss was not to diagnose why the threads were corroded or to criticize what you are doing. I had a reason for it, but it seems lost in the mist now. I'll take my 45 years of hotrodding experience and go somewhere else.

what does it say on my thread Title?? why are you giving me this background information on bell crank etc that don't care. well since you have 45 years of hot-rod experience up your sleeve, well tell me how would you go about sketch these bracket ? You know I could of went out and brought the bracket but that's not point, since its 1st time Im ussing auto cad and really enjoyed it. Will be good learning step. if you don't have better thing to comment keep to yourself no time for bull ****

I fitted out my own motor home starting with a bus with no seats and the most usefull thing was stiff cardboard or old sheetmetal, nothing was square, floor slopes etc. I may be wrong but it looks to me that you want the actuator on an angle compared to square as it is now. I would start by tracing the fixed bolt side on cardboard place bends in it cut and paste make a new one again when it all goes wrong, then unfold it flat and draw up your part for fabrication.

If the bracket you have was bent would this do it it ? Looks to me if you put a heat line through it you can bend it and keep all bolting mounts truly flat, a bit of sheet metal will go a long way to prove this.

A good tough material old street signs reasonable thickness but with good strength can be bent, hammered, pop riveted to fix mistake, to make pattern and you could bolt it on to test alignment.

If the bracket you have was bent would this do it it ?

It can be bent no problem. I get where your coming from. Reason is, my main goal is to make new part from existing one I got, than i can get bend to how i would like it. I use to rely on these paper cardboard/sheet making and folding past experience in light fabrication. But now I wanna learn new ways of doing thing, cause like i stated in previous post I want to learn sketch in auto cad 2d. Later down track I would like to get into 3d. its more for me to learn auto cad.

Thanks for advise appreciate it.

For the little bit of work you've done in the 6mm.dwg attached to one of your previous posts I'd just start over and make sure to use a metric template. I suggest using the acadiso template. By default, since AutoCAD is a U.S. product, the acad.dwt template file is used when starting a new drawing and it is set up to utilize decimal inches. Got it?

There is one other option available to you. Type -dwgunits at the command line (yes, including the dash). Now you are given the chance to change your drawing units from (meaning decimal inches) to (meaning millimeters). You'll want to respond "Yes" to the questions that are asked before the command terminates. If you take this approach your objects may disappear from your screen. Don't worry, they were not deleted. They are just off-screen at the moment. Execute a Zoom > Extents and your objects will once again be visible. You're good to go now.

Edited by ReMark

what does it say on my thread Title?? why are you giving me this background information on bell crank etc that don't care. well since you have 45 years of hot-rod experience up your sleeve, well tell me how would you go about sketch these bracket ? You know I could of went out and brought the bracket but that's not point, since its 1st time Im ussing auto cad and really enjoyed it. Will be good learning step. if you don't have better thing to comment keep to yourself no time for bull ****
Let me spell it out for you in simpler terms then. I asked about the threaded boss so I would know if there was any intermediate hardware involved between the actuator and the valve crank lever. I needed to know that so I would know whether I had to offer information on how to draw the bracket with an angled bend in it, how to determine what that angle might be. and whether or not you might be interested in ways to use the bracket flat as is.

I referred to the mix of old and new parts because I am interested in high performance vehicles, and racing, and so maybe you might offer more information on how experienced you are with engine work and fabrication simply as one motorhead to another. Some friendly chit chat about what the vehicle performance level and performance cars in general might have been fun.

I am no longer interested.

For the little bit of work you've done in the 6mm.dwg attached to one of your previous posts I'd just start over and make sure to use a metric template. I suggest using the acadiso template. By default, since AutoCAD is a U.S. product, the acad.dwt template file is used when starting a new drawing and it is set up to utilize decimal inches. Got it?

There is one other option available to you. Type -dwgunits at the command line (yes, including the dash). Now you are given the chance to change your drawing units from (meaning decimal inches) to (meaning millimeters). You'll want to respond "Yes" to the questions that are asked before the command terminates. If you take this approach your objects may disappear from your screen. Don't worry, they were not deleted. They are just off-screen at the moment. Execute a Zoom > Extents and your objects will once again be visible. You're good to go now.

Tried your method using acadiso template, in command type -dwgunits follow the option. than click on print, did window select change scale to 1;1 steal not getting real scale on printed paper, man this is doing my head in.