Upgrading Graphics, which card?

Buzza

Yeah, wiring configuration does not have anything to do with total power output.

Also, going local is probably not a cheap option unless you need the additional support. Buying parts online or through the big box stores is going to save you money over the local small business stores.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• RobDraw

Yeah, wiring configuration does not have anything to do with total power output.

Also, going local is probably not a cheap option unless you need the additional support. Buying parts online or through the big box stores is going to save you money over the local small business stores.

That and I would not plan out to reuse a part 6 months down the line. A newer, faster PCIe slot might be out and that card not worth using in the new rig. For example you bought a new 2.0 PCIe card and then 6 moths later bought a new rig with a 3.0 PCIe slot. For what you have now or but the $$ towards a complete new build. My 2 bits ;)

Wiring configuration has lots to do with total power output, actually. My welder is plugged into a two pole 50A breaker but produces 180A output. Wiring configuration within the transformer!!

I still agree that rewiring a Power Supply is not the answer.

:)

Why do you have to take things out of context?

What I meant was that just because a power supply has the necessary connections doesn't necessarily mean that it has enough power for all devices that use those connections. Maybe you didn't understand that within the context of this thread.

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.

Lol, goodness Rob, remain calm. You always get fired up so quickly. :)

Well, technically Mike is right. He's also in the electrical field so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. All a power supply does is take 120v A/C and converts it to 12v D/C or 5v D/C "out of the box". Watts is a deceptive unit of measurement because it includes time with power. The additional power is technically still there. I'm still agreeing with you that for the layman this is certainly not a good idea but to say you cannot draw more wattage from re-wiring a PSU is simply a false statement.

Not all of us are familiar enough with electricity to be familiar with the intricacies of rewiring. Watts was mentioned in the post just prior to his statement. In the context of this thread, it sounded like he was saying that you could go ahead and put any graphics card on any power supply and expect it to work, which simply is not true.

I wasn't referring to rewiring the power supply, mostly using the existing power cables with adapters to you can usually get the type of connection you need. For example using the additional SATA power connection with a Molex adapter to get power to your card.

I also mentioned this; assuming everything in your current build will allow for it which is taking into consideration the amount of power available from the power supply

Every time I've upgraded my graphics card, I've had to get a new power supply. At that point, it's just a matter of choosing one with the proper connections.

I wasn't referring to rewiring the power supply, mostly using the existing power cables with adapters to you can usually get the type of connection you need. For example using the additional SATA power connection with a Molex adapter to get power to your card.
You had us all fooled!! Lol

And what if the graphics card requires two power cables but the power supply only has one?

You can easily split connections using adapters.

But the OP had said, in the post just before your post, that his "current" one, at 250W, was just enough to do what he has. Your assumption cannot be made, as most vid card upgrades require more power.

It does not necessarily mean he has to upgrade his PSU. You have to look at how much the cards draw compared to each other. Newer does not necessarily mean it draws more power. Here's a comparison of the stock GPU specs from Nvidia:

GT 640 - 65W

GT 740 - 64W

GT 940 - 60W (to be released soon)

These may vary slightly depending on the exact manufacturer (Zotac, MSi, EVGA etc) but the trend is, as GPU technology advances, power requirements decrease.

According to NVidia's recommendations, there does not seem to be a direct correlation between the card power consumptions and the recommended minimum power supplies for their cards.

Why is that?

A word of caution: Having a less than adequate power supply can cause undue damage to your components.

It does not necessarily mean he has to upgrade his PSU. You have to look at how much the cards draw compared to each other. Newer does not necessarily mean it draws more power. Here's a comparison of the stock GPU specs from Nvidia:

GT 640 - 65W

GT 740 - 64W

GT 940 - 60W (to be released soon)

These may vary slightly depending on the exact manufacturer (Zotac, MSi, EVGA etc) but the trend is, as GPU technology advances, power requirements decrease.

I wonder what the wattage is for a full load. Usually higher end cards will burn at 200W+.