Good CAD 3D

Joro--

Hello all,

which would be the best 3D CAD Application for HVAC systems?

I need the application just to draw pipes and ducts systems and for bill of quantities, any other calculations are not important in this case. Up to now I have been using 2D for the drawings, but some drawings come to us also in 3D and for this reason I need a 3D tool.

It would be nice to have some opinions for Applications like Autocad MEP, Revit, PIT, CATS or smth else suitable to get a general orientation in this sphere.

Regards,

Joro

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old post but Im just going to throw in my 2 cents anyways.

I have been using Revit and Autocad for about 7 years, so not that long, but enough to form a love hate relationship with Revit. It works great IF you know its bugs and problems. Visual issues seem to big one of the biggest problems that arise. You have a LOT of specific settings that can leave you perplexed and scratching your head until you start to recognize them. That being said, Revit is famous for having a mind of its own and doing weird **** for no reason.

I have been using CADmep for about 90 days, and couldnt be more in love, Im like Revit who? When I read about people praising Revit over CADmep, It confuses me. CADmep is so much more user friendly. The set up is more user friendly, even the errors are more user friendly.

I cant attest to things like scheduling because being on the design side, thats not something I have to mess with. I do know that scheduling is one thing Revit does make easy.

After my short time here with CADmep, I never want to Revit again.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum. :) You should be hearing from our in-house Revit expert in about 60 seconds. Get a cup of coffee to fortify yourself.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum. :) You should be hearing from our in-house Revit expert in about 60 seconds. Get a cup of coffee to fortify yourself.

The heart wants what the heart wants.... :0)

When I read about people praising Revit over CADmep, It confuses me. CADmep is so much more user friendly. The set up is more user friendly, even the errors are more user friendly.
CADmep is fabrication software. It's very specific, and also VERY pricey. Revit and CADmep are not directly comparable, especially for shop drawing use - Revit MEP is more for the consultant engineer. And when you mean "praising Revit", could you be more specific? Do you mean, specifically, "praising Revit MEP over CADmep"? Revit is also widely used for architects and structural engineers, you know. But, by your responses, I believe you're in contracting which means your specific use is more shop drawing related, rather than conceptual design and intent engineering, which is technically what Revit is meant for, MEP speaking.

But, having much experience in AutoCAD and Revit, I can say that yes I do praise Revit MEP. "User friendly" depends on the user. Remember this. :)

My fully coordinated shop drawings certainly aren't lacking, and I certainly am just as quick as anybody else using CADmep, AutoCAD MEP or the like. Example sheet of a recent job (sensitive information removed):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4989089/MH1-11_-_1ST_LEVEL_MECHANICAL_HVAC_PLAN.pdf

Revit is very capable for shop drawings, just gotta know how to use it is all.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum. You should be hearing from our in-house Revit expert in about 60 seconds. Get a cup of coffee to fortify yourself.
Mark, you're just as dependable to insult me over Revit discussions, old friend. :)

HEY, I was tricked into moving here, dont hold it against me.
I'm in Dallas. Lots of MEP and Revit guys here. CADmep guys too. If you're new to the area, welcome!