MEP object snap unavailable

cuervogold1

I cannot snap a line to any corner/quadrant/center or any other typical object snap of any mvpart or pipe fitting in MEP 2014. I've checked all settings and options, but I must be missing something because I used to have this function and my draftsman currently has the capability to snap to any typical snap within any MEP part. As soon as I make a shape into a part then all snaps disappear except MEP snaps like pipe connections.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe you're in a Realistic Visual Style. Are you in Wifeframe by chance? That always affected me if I recall.

I gave up AutoCAD MEP some years ago so my memory is lacking.

I've heard it's better but very different. My current ignorance in Revit MEP is similar to my previous ignorance in CAD MEP when I made that change--it's better than what I have now, but I don't know what "better" includes. If RMEP offers everything AMEP offers without the bugs then I will make the change. How interchangeable are the block-based parts in AMEP to RMEP? Do you have the same freedoms to create anything you wish with RMEP as you do with AMEP?

Let me put it into perspective for you.... EVERYTHING that AutoCAD MEP "is", it stole from Revit. Everything. Even vanilla AutoCAD is stealing from programs like Revit and others.

Project Navigator = Project Browser.

MvPart = Mechanical Family.

Labels = Tags.

Object Styles = Object Categories.

List goes on. AMEP is a good package.... for an AutoCAD based platform. The only thing is, AutoCAD at its core cannot possibly obtain the level of capacity that Revit can, because it's tried to take a 30+ year old legacy platform and mimic a 15 year old new and intuitive platform. If you ask anybody who is a Revit user, you will not find one that will ever go back to AutoCAD. They'd rather change careers if that was the only option.

Here is a good read: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2014/04/revit-and-autocad.html

Make the jump, you won't regret it. :)

Ha! Sounds like I need to upgrade my toolbox. Till then, I'll keep pursuing a solution with this object snap.
Good deal. There are some other current AutoCAD MEP guru's on this forum. Be patient and someone should post up with a solution.

-Tannar

I ran through the Options panel with my draftsman and copied his settings, now I have full snap functionality once again. I believe the issue was having "Optimize for Speed: Object Snap" selected...but it works now with it selected and unselected. Maybe the program was trying to help by removing that "pesky" snap function??

If it happens again in the future try toggling the "replace Z value with current elevation". It is down on the bottom right bellow the command line.

That usually fixes it for me. Sometimes I will turn it on to act like a .z point filter, and then forget to torn it back off.

That is the only time I have problems with Osnaps. Problems with MEP Osnaps....that is a different story!