Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

• 3 weeks later...

I may be an AutoCAD newbie, but I recently discovered something useful that I wanted to share:

I recently upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2010. Upon using it, I discovered that dwg files I've attached to a drawing through "xattach" were suddenly very dark, as if they were under the lock status. I did some digging, and discovered the XDWGFADECTL variable.

You can set that variable from -90 to 90. 90 makes your attachments incredibly dark. -90 through 0 eliminates any fading on your attachments.

• 3 weeks later...
I may be an AutoCAD newbie, but I recently discovered something useful that I wanted to share:

I recently upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2010. Upon using it, I discovered that dwg files I've attached to a drawing through "xattach" were suddenly very dark, as if they were under the lock status. I did some digging, and discovered the XDWGFADECTL variable.

You can set that variable from -90 to 90. 90 makes your attachments incredibly dark. -90 through 0 eliminates any fading on your attachments.

Been using CAD properly for 3 years and didn't know this ^^

Cheers dude :lol:

Z

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know about yal, but I got really tired of right clicking and selecting multiple when I use chamfer or fillet. So in the cui change the command to look like this...

^C^C_chamfer;u;

^C^C_fillet;u;

• 1 month later...

if you select object and then select one of the objects node (node become red), every time you hit SPACE BAR it will change command in this order: MOVE, ROTATE, SCALE, MIRROR, STRETCH.

it is mucho faster to use this to modify object!

Just for some terminology clarification (so that we CADdies can understand what you're trying to say), those 'Objects Node's you refer to are technically called 'Grips'...

you can use this command to cut everything that is related with something.

First of all Pick a POLYLINE, LINE, CIRCLE, ARC, ELLIPSE, IMAGE or TEXT for cutting edge then pick on the place you don't need the objects.

EXTRIM.gif

You will have all the objects cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is a Windows tip, but looking at most screenshots posted on this forum, I think many would find it useful:

We all know how the PrtScrn button takes a screenshot of your whole screen including taskbar to your clipboard.

Now try Alt + PrtScrn; this takes a screenshot of just the active window (your application, an error message, dialogue box). No cropping or messing about required in Paint/Word!

On that subject, - when screenshotting from ACAD, the shots will look clearer if saved as either GIF or PNG over JPG, due to the sharp pixel contrast that ACAD pictures normally have. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Might be useful!!

I made the mistake of showing Datalinks to management and they loved it.

I found that inserting a table with a lot of information and formatting the system freezes when trying to browse for the file.

What i do is open a windows explorer where the file resides (ensuring not to open the file), Then i start to browse for the file through the Datalink window, when the program hangs go to the window explorer where the file is and double-click. For some reason it frees up AutoCAD and the file can be added.

Also, when the datalink is large i turn all of the previews off (ensuring i know what ranges or sheets i need).

This has made my life a lot easier and it actually works!!

• 1 month later...

Well,

I learned there is a free way to send dwg's to people over email for free and all but this is a valuable resource for all file types.

If you dont know you can go to cutepdf.com and download it. It makes itself a printer but it does not print it reads as a print only file and creates a file for you in pdf version for free. Very easy and universal in the all industries.

• 4 weeks later...

Show or hide the Menu Bar in AutoCAD 2010 by clicking on the arrowhead at the end of the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. Show Menu Bar is the second item up from the bottom of the drop-down list. No more typing MENUBAR=1 (or "0").

• 3 months later...

Here's a handy tip if some of you are like me and don't like a cluttered desktop. You can define shortcut keys to start programs by right clicking on the icon and assign shortcut keys to them. I've assigned mine for programs that I always use so I can start them anytime without having to go back to my desktop. Here is an example for Autocad.

untitled.jpg

Besides modifying command aliases in your pgp file you can add external commands to start programs within Autocad. Follow the same format used for the default ACAD.PGP commands. You can even go directly to this CADTutor site. Here is an example:

CT, start iexplore www.cadtutor.net/ct 1, ,

*then you will be able to launch the CADTutor website directly from within Autocad.

I've found this useful in the past. If your drawing is running slow when switching between layouts then run the command '-scalelistedit' type r, enter, and then exit, also turn 'off' all unneccessary viewports and you'll find it cycles through much quicker as there is less information for CAD to process.

I've found this useful in the past. If your drawing is running slow when switching between layouts then run the command '-scalelistedit' type r, enter, and then exit, also turn 'off' all unneccessary viewports and you'll find it cycles through much quicker as there is less information for CAD to process.

You should put the following in your acaddoc.lsp file.

(command "_.-scalelistedit" "_r" "_y" "_e")