Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

It was too interesting not to rob from the post @ theswamp and put here.:wink:

True - it was funny, that when I saw the update to this thread, I predicted what it would be :)

True - it was funny, that when I saw the update to this thread, I predicted what it would be :)

LoL

Your powers of perception are overwhelming! :roll:

You can use the SetByLayer command to fix object level (color, etc.). Also, it has the option to fix any objects created within a block that are NOT set to ByLayer.

eg.

Command: SETBYLAYER

Current active settings: Color Linetype Lineweight Material
Select objects or [settings]: Specify opposite corner: 1 found

Select objects or [settings]:

[color=Red]Change ByBlock to ByLayer? [Yes/No] <Yes>:

Include blocks? [Yes/No] <Yes>:[/color]

setbylayer.PNG

• 3 months later...

i found out one good tip.

after you activate any draw command and you would like to snap point to specific object snap mode (e.g. Endpoint, Midpoint, Center) then you can suppress all other modes (that you have selected in OSNAP) with SHIFT + E or M or C.

this will reduce zooming and errors for shure.

Thanks, that is handy.

One thing I'd like to clarify is that you need to press and HOLD SHIFT + E etc, not just press once to activate.

What I normally do to get a temporary snap override, is to press CTRL + Rightclick, this brings up a temporary snap override menu, and lets you choose from all available snap modes.

• 3 months later...

If you use “Object Snap Tracking” or OTRACK, you will like this tip. If you have ever been annoyed with the dashed “track path” that goes infinitely across your screen, you can change this so that the dashed line only appears from the track point to the cursor. You do this by either going to the System Variable Editor (SYSVDLG) and looking for the TRACKPATH variable or by typing in TRACKPATH at the command line and changing the value to 1.

Here is a description of the TRACKPATH Variable:

Controls the display of polar and object snap tracking alignment paths.

Available Variables:

Displays full-screen polar and object snap tracking paths

Displays full-screen polar tracking path; displays object snap tracking path only between the alignment point and the From point to the cursor location

Displays full-screen object snap tracking path; does not display polar tracking path

Does not display polar tracking path; displays the object snap tracking path only between the alignment point and the From point to the cursor location

TRACKPATH set to 1

full-trackpath.jpg

TRACKPATH set to

trackpath-1.jpg

As seen at: http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/track-path/

http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!!!!

~Greg

Edited by troggarf

Present your Dimensional Constraints

If you have played around with dimensional constraints, you have noticed that they look very different than regular dimensions. In fact, they are so different that they are not presentable. Well… they will be presentable after reading this tip.

First, let’s make a dimensional constraint:

Scenario 1 – No existing dimensions

•In the “Dimensional” panel on the “Parametric” ribbon, click the “Linear” dimensional constraint button.

•A pickbox will appear, and if you hover over a line, a red x will appear at the end of the line that the “dim” will measure from. Click to accept and do the same for the other side of the line.

• Place the dimension

Scenario 2 – Converting an existing dimension into a constraint

• In the “Dimensional” panel on the “Parametric” ribbon, click the “Convert” button
convert.jpg?w=71&h=65

• Pick the dims that you want to convert. After selecting, hit

• The dims will now be converted.

These new dims are very functional, but not very presentable, so let’s fix that.

What we will do is change the constraint to not show the lock symbol, the “d1=” (name of the constraint), and put it back to the layer & color as it originally looked like when it was created.

Settings:

• In the lower right corner of the “Dimensional” panel on the “Parametric” ribbon, click the diagonal arrow to open the “Constraint Settings” dialog.

• Click the “Dimensional” tab

• Change the dropdown from “Name and Expression” to “Value”

• Uncheck the “Show lock icon for annotational constraints”

• Click OK

Settings dialog

dinconsettings.jpg

Notice that the name (prefix) of “d1=” has been removed but the lock symbol may still be visible and the color/layer is not correct yet.

• Select the dim(s)

• Right click and select Properties to open the Properties Tool Palette

• Change the “constraint form” from “Dynamic” to “Annotational”

dimconproperties.jpg

• Exit the Properties palette and your once un-presentable Dimensional Constraints are now presentable.

~Enjoy

found @ http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/

When entering any value you can call up the command line calculator function by typing 'cal. Yes the apostrophe is before the word cal.

For simple calculations outside of a function, you can use the following: (* 5 6) will output 30, works the same for + - /

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fuccaro,

I've tried your SumVolume lisp routine and have found an issue with it that I can't figure out. If I have multiple solids, perhaps 50 parts, and I select them all and get a weight, then select all except one or two items the weight shown then is *greater* than when I selected all the items. I've got no experience with visual lisp functions; I'm a not-so-good lisp writer who manages to get by at best, so I can't figure out what the problem might be. Am I just using the routine in a way that wasn't intended?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Mabye just Autocad tip

If i set the tile size to about 4 times the original i get TWICE the rendering speed!!! It is originalt at 32 but if i bump it up to 128 it goes around 2x faster to render!

The tile size is how often the image get refreshed in the rendering prosses. IE how often U see changes.

Andy,

That's awesome! I've been using my own little lisp routine for years to accomplish the same thing. This is much better because I can't use mine when I'm running another lisp routine. :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you press and hold SHIFT until the envelope icon comes up then press and hold D it temporarily over-rides all osnaps, tracking and ortho settings allowing you to freehand draw rev clouds or drop text etc.

If you press and hold SHIFT until the envelope icon comes up then press and hold D it temporarily over-rides all osnaps, tracking and ortho settings allowing you to freehand draw rev clouds or drop text etc.

you should mention this is only while in a command. but thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

With AutoCAD 2012, As you type in a command it will populate a list of commands that start with the same characters (letters or numbers). In this list are commands, aliases and systems variables. But there's a function that is annoying called "Auto-Append". After the third character is entered, it will guess what command you are entering and fill in the remaining command for you. This sounds like it would be great, but it's actually annoying.

To turn "Auto-Append" off:

• Start entering a command and as the list of commands populates,
  • Move your cursor over the list and right-click
  • Uncheck "Auto-Append"

To see the animated GIF that shows this feature:

go to the Autocad Tips blog

Auto-Append.jpg