Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

You ever get sick of manual switching between windows by going to Windows and picking which one you like to open. Good news, this can be done faster by using the Ctrl + Tab. Hope everyone enjoys.

There is a tool for this that makes it easier since Ctr-TAB switches in a specific order?

This tool creates tabs for each opened file! pretty handy if you have more than 3 drawings opened.

Found this on cadTutor don't know where exatctly.

cl-DwgMan_07-08.zip

When needing to extend a line in both directions, if you select the line using a crossing box that crosses over the midpoint of the line, it will extend both ways in one go, rather than extending one end and then the other.

There is a tool for this that makes it easier since Ctr-TAB switches in a specific order?

This tool creates tabs for each opened file! pretty handy if you have more than 3 drawings opened.

Found this on cadTutor don't know where exatctly.

FOr that you just need to adjust the TASKBAR system variable between 1 and 0. One value will keep all drawings in one TAB the other will keep each one on a separate one iin the taskbar.

you can non-uniformly scale objects in autocad. just select what you need to scale, block it, go to properties, and enter x/y/z scale values you desire. explode the block and ur done.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this little peach....

MTJIGSTRING

Use to customize the MTEXT sample string

(defaults to ABC). Set it to your favorite

Sports Team, pet, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

step1:-select the object by using the mouse.

step2:- Right click the mouse button and drag it to required location.

step3:- Release the right button

Option prompts:

copy

move

paste as block

cancel

:)

Found this little peach....

MTJIGSTRING

Use to customize the MTEXT sample string

(defaults to ABC). Set it to your favorite

Sports Team, pet, etc.

Someone mentioned this but forgot the actual command.

Great for playing tricks apparently :D :D :D

I accedently found out that you can also multi-copy this way:

Click on a grab point then hold your ctrl-key and click somewhere els! now you can let go of your crtl-key and still continiue to copy.

If you select an endpoint of a line you can stretch-copy this way!

This works better for me.

FOr that you just need to adjust the TASKBAR system variable between 1 and 0. One value will keep all drawings in one TAB the other will keep each one on a separate one iin the taskbar.

- I hide my taskbar and set it to background so when I go to the bottom of my screen with my mouse the taskbar doesn't pop up. this way i can use my hole sreen.(Taskbar pops up when you press the windows key on you keybord.)

- 4 vertual desktop with Dexpot:

1. Outlook
  2. Autocad
  3. Internet (CadTutor :-)
  4. Filebrowser

- The cl-DWGman helps me out with tabs for each drawind I open.

ATG.jpg

• 1 month later...

Seeing that Tool Palettes seem to be the flavour (flavor for my US friends) of the month, here's one that can save a lot of setup time.

Problem: I've just dragged in 20 blocks from a drawing in DesignCenter to my tool Palette. Perfect... But I want to automatically insert them on a particular layer, allow them to rotate or carry out any of the other 'attributes' available from the Tool Properties Dialogue. I've just got bored adjusting the first 5 and questioning is it really worth the hassle. Using the left mouse button just wants to insert the Block so I cant use the Shift or control keys to select multiple Tools for editing.

Solution: Right Click on the first tool that you want to select - yes the pull-down appears, but don't worry about that for now. Hit the Shift or the CTRL Key as neccessary (I'll assume you all know the difference between the Shift and the CTRL keys and what they do during selections) and then using the Left hand button you can choose multiple Tools. When you have selected the Tools you want to apply the settings to, Right Mouse click on any of the selected Tools, choose Properties, make the appropriate adjustments in the dialogue an they're applied to all the chosen tools.

Try it, it's a great time saver and ensures consistency between the insertions8)

Just been cruising the Tips and Tricks and it's great to see people getting excited about using the Selection Set Tools (C for Crossing, W for Window, L for Last, P for Previous, etc.). Back in my days (oh, I sound like my father), before the introduction of Implied Windowing if you didn't know these, you were up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Unfortunately, the new crop of up and comers are somewhat nobbled by this new fangled interface with them there icons and dialog Boxes. But, rejoice - Autodesk has managed to maintain a stack of Golden oldies hiding in the background because they couldn't work them into a Dialogue Box (and I think to keep us Old Farts happy too). Here's one you can't do in the new versions of AutoCAD - Edit multiple Attributes in one go.

Here's how: use the -ATTEDIT command (yes, many of the 'old' command prompt based commands start with the '-' in front of the usual command). Its first prompt is "Edit Attributes one at a time" - tell it N and answer the following prompts according to your needs and whallah, you can change all your (for example) acronyms to their full description.

So, there you go, you can be lazy and type in CPU in your attributes all over the place and expand it out to 'Central Processing Unit' in one go.

OK, you guys got me - You can now use the Find Replace and tell it to do the Attributes too! Well, mine was just an example: the -Attedit does a LOT more than that... Have you ever tried to make a script or Lisp trying to use the new fangled version? Guess what it won't work the way you'd like. I have an Item numbering Lisp that automatically increments the Item No in Attributes and it can only work on the old command... It even allows you to change colours, angles, styles... for individual Attributes (think about the opportunity here)!!!

Bonus Tip: Talk to us old farts (we still have a place in the AutoCAD society) and learn by 'playing' with it:oops:

By the way, there's a number of other 'special' things you can do with multiple selected Tools - Delete them, Cut and paste them into another Palette, etc.

speaking of using 'my hole screen'

my windows taskbar is hidden and is vertical on the right of the screen, my autocad window is in 'clean screen' mode (ctrl+0) and my saved workspace is enabled, providing the custom monobar with the 6 controls i need, and the 8 buttons that i dont want to map a hotkey to. besides standard hotkeys (e.g. ctrl+x) i use combinations like alt->f->x for 'file exit' or alt->d->u for a 'revision cloud' etc. i also use DYN so that i can hide the console (ctrl+9)

tell me if you manage to free more than that =)

p.s.: this is a fullscreen grab, not a window grab or smthing. this is actually what's displayed on my monitor

screen-capture-3.jpg

did you now, well you now but

in autocad you dont have to tipe 0.5 you can tipe .5

i didnt now that

now that you can't use that idea in lips

am learning basic

• 2 weeks later...

In using Acad2008, I've assigned "Midpoint between 2 Points" (M2P)

to my F1 key.

Great time saver and no more annoying "Help" screen pop-ups

M2P.jpg

A easier way to rename a block is to edit the contetual menu associated with blocks and with attribute blocks.

to do so go in tools pulldown menu select customize-->interface...

then go in Shortcut Menus you will see

---Attribute Block Objects Menu

and the list of commands accesible from it

now you go in command list bellow and clic the new button to add a command for renaming blocks

-for command line type

RenameBlk

-for description line type

Allows user to Rename the selected block.

-for macro paste the following

^C^C(setvar "USERS1" (cdr (assoc 2 (entget (ssname (cadr (ssgetfirst)) 0)))));_-RENAME;BL;(getvar "USERS1")

-for element id type

ID_RenameBlk

you can add an image if you want.

now you need to associate the new command RenameBlk to the contextual menu to do so...

clic the new command RenameBlk and drag it the Attribute Block Objects Menu

do the some for the Block Reference Objects Menu

hit apply

now when you select a block and right clic your pull donw menu has rename block for the selected block

just type the new name in the command line

Hi,

Just to take the above a little further, paste the code into a button or hot key and you will be able to select the items you want as a block, hit enter, select the point you want to insert the new block, you then select the newly created block via a crossing window and then you are asked to rename the block to a new, understandable name. the whole process takes about 2 - 3 secs.

^C^C_select;\_copybase;\P;;_pasteblock;\\\^C^C(setvar "USERS1" (cdr (assoc 2 (entget (ssname (cadr (ssgetfirst)) 0)))));_-RENAME;BL;(getvar "USERS1")

i tried to stream line it by using the select, last command but could get the thing to work!

cheers

Col.