Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

That CREATEHLR thing sounds interesting but my problem is that AutoCAD 2006 doesn't recognize it. It must be a new command in 2007 or 2008 or most likely an ADT thing:-(

I would suggest to all of us posting tips: let's mention the relaise the tip is applicable for.

That CREATEHLR thing sounds interesting but my problem is that AutoCAD 2006 doesn't recognize it. It must be a new command in 2007 or 2008 or most likely an ADT thing:-(

I would suggest to all of us posting tips: let's mention the relaise the tip is applicable for.

Sorry about that. Now that you mention it, I haven't tried that command on anything other then ADT 2006. I just learned that one a couple of month ago.

Sorry about that. Now that you mention it, I haven't tried that command on anything other then ADT 2006. I just learned that one a couple of month ago.
It's OK, for sure the ADT users will find it usefull

To calculate a floor area I used to draw a polyline around the perimeter, then check its properties. I now use the BPOLY command. It works like a hatch and creates an instant polyline! and when used the LIST command you get an instant area and perimeter.

Tip: Layer Name changes with binding XREF's

Ever wonder why when you bind your XREF's it puts a "xref_name$0$" at the beginning of each layer? try the BINDTYPE variable to change the way this binds your XREF's. the control factors include:

0 - Traditional binding behavior ("xref1|one" becomes "xref$0$one")

1 - Insert-like behavior ("xref1|one" becomes "one")

• 1 month later...

Tip: Edit your scale list to your own personal preference.

type SCALELISTEDIT at the command line to delete or add your very own custom scales for greater convenience when in Paperspace dealing with Viewports. No more searching through tons of scales from AutoCAD default anymore.... and if you need a default scale list - the Reset button is to the rescue. :)

scalelistedit.jpg

TIP: Right Click Customizing

Want to display a shortcut menu AND perform an Enter sololy with your right mouse button? A short click for enter while a longer click displays the shortcut menu(s).

Type OP (OPTIONS) and go to the User Preferences tab. Then click on Right-Click Customization (See below)

right.jpg

right2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever wanted to add a light fixture to your ceiling grid hatch? Wish that you could just snap your object to your hatch pattern? Well you can. Set your OSNAPHATCH variable to "1" rather then the default "0"

Have you ever wanted to add a light fixture to your ceiling grid hatch? Wish that you could just snap your object to your hatch pattern? Well you can. Set your OSNAPHATCH variable to "1" rather then the default "0"

DUDE.... you are the man... i've always wondered why my OSNAP never did to hatches for when I lay my Ceiling Diffusers down.... lol, awesome. :thumbsup:

To calculate a floor area I used to draw a polyline around the perimeter, then check its properties. I now use the BPOLY command. It works like a hatch and creates an instant polyline! and when used the LIST command you get an instant area and perimeter.
Doesn't the AREA command calculate areas for you?

• 2 months later...

I don't know how many of you guys know this one, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of noobs out there that could learn something from this tip.. :thumbsup:

matchpropicondk2.jpg

Well.. with the Match Properties command - or matchprop you can copy the properties of one object to another. It's a very usefull command, I use it every dat.But you already knew that..

What you probably didn't know is that you can even match properties between you drawings. When asked for destination object, simply press "Ctrl + Tab" or select a differnet drawing from the Window menu, and select an object in an other drawing and... Voila! You have "painted" the object with new properties.. :whistle:

I don't know how many of you guys know this one, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of noobs out there that could learn something from this tip.. :thumbsup:

matchpropicondk2.jpg

Well.. with the Match Properties command - or matchprop you can copy the properties of one object to another. It's a very usefull command, I use it every dat.But you already knew that..

What you probably didn't know is that you can even match properties between you drawings. When asked for destination object, simply press "Ctrl + Tab" or select a differnet drawing from the Window menu, and select an object in an other drawing and... Voila! You have "painted" the object with new properties.. :whistle:

You can also select which properties you will match. Once you select the object type in S or right-click and select settings to bring up the Property Settings Dialog box.

Nice beginner tip when using trim and extend type ex(for extend) and tap the spacebar 2 times, the line will extend to the next line in its way.

Nice beginner tip when using trim and extend type ex(for extend) and tap the spacebar 2 times, the line will extend to the next line in its way.

Also.. type TR and hit the space bar two times..

U can use it for fast trimmming..:shock:

If you want to bring in only the definition of a block,

you can use this...

After the insert command and selecting the file, at specify insertion point prompt, press the ESC key.

You will have the definition in the current drawing. You can use it latter.:roll:

• 1 month later...