Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

Tip: BSCALE

"Scales a block insert from its insertion point.

Allows independent scaling of X, Y and Z. You can specify final values or apply scale factors."

Found this one under Express Tools (2007), Command Line Only along with a few other gems.

Tip: BSCALE

"Scales a block insert from its insertion point.

Allows independent scaling of X, Y and Z. You can specify final values or apply scale factors."

Found this one under Express Tools (2007), Command Line Only along with a few other gems.

Here are the rest of the command line only Express Tools.

ACADINFO

BCOUNT

BLOCK?

BSCALE

CDORDER

DWGLOG

EDITTIME

EXPRESSMENU

EXPRESSTOOLS

EXTRIM

FLATTEN

GATTE

JULIAN

LSP

LSPSURF

MPEDIT

OVERKILL

REDIRMODE

SSX

TFRAMES

Tip: MSLTSCALE

This is a new feature in 2008+ that allows you to view your linetypes scaled to whatever you Annotation Scale is set to in Model Space. This will keep you from having to change your LTSCALE when switching from MSPACE to PSPACE. Initial value is 0, set it to 1 to activate this command. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest LElkins

EDGEMODE

To Trim/Extend to a non crossing object you must turn on the EDGEMODE variable. To turn this on, type EDGEMODE at the command line and press enter. Then type 1 and press enter. To turn EDGEMODE off type 0 rather than 1.

In the image below, if EDGEMODE is turned off, then when trimming the dashed line from the right, it will trim back to point B. If EDGEMODE is turned on, then when trimming the dashed line from the right, it will trim in line with point A.

Guest LElkins

Set new viewport scale

To define the scale of new viewports type PSVPSCALE in the command line and press enter. Then enter the desired scale as a decimal and press enter. Example scales below.

1:100 - 0.01

1:200 - 0.005

1:10 - 0.1

1:50 - 0.02

2:1 - 2.0

Please note that this command is drawing specific.

Guest LElkins

Default xref as Overlay

To set OVERLAY as the default xref method, type XREFTYPE in the command line and press enter. Then type 1 and press enter.

Guest LElkins

Do you want to turn it into one?

When using PEDIT and select an object which is not a polyline you will get this message you will be asked if you want to turn it into a polyline. To stop getting this message, type PEDITACCEPT and press enter. Then type 1 and press enter. This will automatically answer yes to the question in future.

Guest LElkins

Text is 'fatter'

If your text appears to be 'fatter' on screen, or when printing, than another element of text which has the same properties, then check the Z value for the text. Even if it says 0, it may have a positive Z value, change it to a larger number, say 50 or so, then change it back to 0.

Guest LElkins

Unable to open drawing (you have it open)

If you get the message that you can only open a drawing as read-only because you have it open, but in reality you do not, then check in the file that the drawing is, click on Tools>Folder Options>View and check Show Hidden Files and Folders. Then delete any .dwl and .dwl2 files that have the same file name as the drawing. If it will not let you delete them then check with the system administrator because the folder has probably been set to read only, which will need to be changed.

Guest LElkins

Unable to open drawing (only Read-only available)

If you are unable to open a drawing because it is in use, and want to find out who has it open, then start a new drawing, or go to a drawing you have open and type WHOHAS at the command line and then browse to the drawing file.

Guest LElkins

Items unselectable

If you have items in your drawing that are unselectable, yet you can select other items, then check that layer 0 is not turned off.

If you place items on Defpoints, and then turn off layer 0, the items will be locked and unselectable.

Guest LElkins

SCALELISTEDIT

To create additional 'standard scales' in AutoCAD, type SCALELISTEDIT. You will then see the Edit Scale List dialog, as below.

Click on the ADD button, then enter the name of the scale,ie, 1:1250 and enter the drawing units as desired. Note: Drawing Units refers to the modelspace units.

• 2 weeks later...

when you import a DWG in 3ds max using the File Link Manager and your curve aren't curved anymore, load the File Link Manager in the FILES Tab, Click RELOAD;I will Bring the option panel ( make sure you have "show Reload Options" Checked.

Go to the "Maximum Surfaces Deviation for 3D Solids" Spinner.

The lower the threshold will be the more smooth the curve will be.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't seem to know any complicated tips but as this comes up from time to time.......

when specifying displacements (move, copy) preceeding your coordinates with a # will go to that coordinate and using an @ will displace by that amount. The default (without symbols) changed between 2004 & 2006.

I'll drag this one up from almost a year ago as I discovered (thanks Cad64) something yesterday. The # prefix only works with dynamic input. With command line input the @ remains a relative and no prefix remains an absolute.

• 1 month later...

Does not work for acad LT:(

ok a tip that has helped me a few times,

The midway point osnap command,

Drawing a line or circle that starts midway between two points is easy enough if the midway point falls on a line or other object but what if it falls in the space between two other objects like say a circle in between two squares like this

tuta.jpg

there is an osnap that for some reason is not included on the osnap tool bar, its is called Midway 2 points or m2p for short to use this command start the circle command and before choosing anything else type m2p in the command line you will be asked for the first mid point in my example i use two squares and select the mid point of one side

tutb.jpg

you will then be asked for the second mid point select the mid point of the other squares side

tutc.jpg

all that is left to do is give your circle a dia or radius

tutd.jpg

there you have it, a circle exactly midway between two objects floating in the space between without the need for any construction lines,

happy drawing

andy "yedan" perry

I had posted this as reply to a thread few days back. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21391

Today when I saw someone's comment on another thread is how people do not post tips any more. so I thought of this one. I will try & post whenever I can think of something.

USE TRUE COLOR TO PLOT COLORED OBJECTS WITHOUT CHANGING YOUR CTB

Say when you click on color setings in hatch or in layer manager, dialoguebox 'SELECT COLOR' will appear. It has 3 options at the top, index color, true color & color book> click on true color, use it for hatch color or for layer color & it will print as it appers on screen with your current plot style eventhough you have set to print all clors as black. the reason is that true color uses cobination of 3 colors & so it doesn't get converted to black in pen assignment based plot style.

Here is another one. It may not be as useful but anyways.

USE LAYER FILTER when using x-ref

CreatE layer filters for similar layers. for example you may have more than 1 unit plan x-refed into floor plan & all of them contains layer named 'A-WALL' So fif you creat layer filter using *wall* as filter defiantion. you can select all the layers containg wall & change the color. or u may need to freeze them incase of furniture & such things. that way even if you add any x-ref drawing to your file later on you can apply the same settings using filters.

I use it often in site plan & floor plan drawing where I chnage color of some layers to print light. so I creat layer filters for them. and whenever I add any new unit & building to it. I just go to layer manager & select those layers with filter & chnage them the way I want easily everytime.

true color (sp?) does not apply to LT based products (until version 2009 that is)

:?

I am using LT2008. And it does have true color option.