3D Studio Max

GemmaEBaird

Hi

I was at uni today and lots of people are telling me I should get 3D studio max as its better than 3D CAD.

Any thoughts ?

Is it easier to learn and is the output better ?

Thank you

Easier to learn? No.

Is the output better? Yes

3D Studio Max is not a CAD program though. It is a modeling, animation and rendering program. Depending of what you need to do, it may or may not be a better choice.

Well, again, it depends on what you're designing. If you want to design things that have to be manufactured and work in the real world, use a CAD program. If you want to design things from your imagination for use in games, renderings, animations, etc. Use Studio Max, Maya, Modo or one of the other poly modeling programs out there.

You can import your CAD models and render them in Studio Max. You will find that you have a lot more options and much greater control over materials, lighting and rendering than you do in AutoCAD. If you're a student, take advantage and grab a copy of the Studio Max edu version.