find/replace and REGEN

jsdrftng

ok, i'm sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find it.

I recently moved from autocad 2008 to 2012.

my machine

intel Xeon E5-1603 @ 2.8GHz

32GB mem

win 7 64bit

dual V4900 AMD vid cards

autocad 2012

so my issue is this (and i have only found one other person asking about this)

when i do a find/replace command it happens lickity split, but when i click "done" to exit it takes forever to close (about 6-10 seconds). In acad08 on my 32 machine it was instant. So what i have realized is that it's doing a regen at the exit. So i guess my question is, can i turn off the autoregen after i close the find/replace dialog box? my REGENMODE is currently .

If that can't be done, is there another way to find/replace so that it doesn't do a regen after words?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jsdrftng

• RobDraw

• steven-g

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes, both of them.

so a crappy workaround i'm doing at the moment (because this is really driving my OCD off the charts) is i am copying the blocks i want to change into a new drawing, do all my find replace, then copy back (with basepoint)

also, i have installed the acadinfocenteroff

ok, so on the autodesk forum i was told

"There is no way to turn off the forced REGEN after FIND is complete."

There has to be something else that can be done. Surely i'm not the only one having this frustration. Do newer versions of Autocad do the same thing with no variable to control it? i'd rather use autocad 2008 if this is the only thing i can do :cry:

Do all regens take that long?

It sounds kinda like AutoCAD is looking for something and not finding it where it should be. Maybe it's looking for a font or a shape file that is not on your machine or not in the right place.

Did you have any object enablers before the upgrade?

When you open the drawing, do you get any warnings about missing fonts or .shp files?

Also, check your text styles and make sure that there aren't any missing fonts assigned to any of them.

Try REGENAUTO and turn it off, Let me know how it worked :)

regenauto is already off and regenmode is

Do all regens take that long?

no, a brand new drawing doesn't take that long to regen, the larger my file gets, the longer it takes to regen. typical size for my drawing is 10-20Mb i have a few thousand dynamic blocks all with attributes (attributes is what i am find/replacing)

Did you have any object enablers before the upgrade?

no

When you open the drawing, do you get any warnings about missing fonts or .shp files?

no

When you say you are not getting any warnings at opening, have you checked the command line history by opening the text window?

Are you sure that you are not missing any fonts by at least checking your styles to make sure they are being found?

Is there any chance that a font has been substituted in any text items, including attributes and all other possibilities?

Sorry for the focus on fonts, but it seems like a good thing to rule out first since the delay seems to be related to text editing.

When you say you are not getting any warnings at opening, have you checked the command line history by opening the text window?

Are you sure that you are not missing any fonts by at least checking your styles to make sure they are being found?

Is there any chance that a font has been substituted in any text items, including attributes and all other possibilities.

Sorry for the focus on fonts, but it seems like a good thing to rule out first since the delay seems to be related to text editing.

it's cool, i understand.

No missing fonts

Here is my start up

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: ACAD

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: CUSTOM

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: AUTOCADWS

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: AUTODESKSEEK

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: MODELDOC

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: CONTENTEXPLORER

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: ACFUSION

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: EXPRESS

Regenerating model.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command: COMMANDLINE

Command: _RIBBON

Command:

Command:

I guess it would help to see the start up on a file that takes longer to regen (duh)

Heres what i see when opening one of my larger files

Opening an AutoCAD 2010 format file.

Resolve Xref "894-BeeSafe-Details":

\\Rcd-main\1-rcd\RCD\2014\894-BeeSafe(SSI)\Jason\894-BeeSafe-Details.dwg

"894-BeeSafe-Details" loaded:

\\SetzerCO\1-rcd\RCD\2015\894-BeeSafe(SSI)\Jason\894-BeeSafe-Details.dwg

Regenerating model.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command:

Autodesk DWG. This file is a TrustedDWG last saved by an Autodesk application

or Autodesk licensed application.

Command:

Edited by jsdrftng
i'm dumb

"communications center" is that the same as info center? if so, thats off.

as far as the fonts go, the only fonts i use are arch and haettenschweiler. my drawings are all started from my own template (meaning i don't import other peoples things, objects, fonts, etc...into my drawing).

One more thing on the fonts, check your pathing make sure that those fonts reside in the folder specified for font mapping. While you are there, have a look around and make sure everything else is set-up properly.

After that, I think we have completely ruled out the possibility of a font issue.

i don't know how to check "mapping".

i mean, i dropped the arch font in with the other fonts in the fonts folder of acad. i dunno how else to check mapping.

Its seems though, if it were a font that i would have a slow regen at the beginning of my file right?

so for example, if it were a font issue, i could start a new file, do some text commands, then hit regen and see the issue right away? or no?

check this out. Here is a link to my dwg

http://gofile.me/2BUU3/C8MyIU7R

open this up, there are (4) plan views from left to right and (3) top to bottom. go to the box 2nd from the left and at the top. This is "Partition & Unit Layout" for 1st floor.

select all the studs and do find replace, then hit esc. and tell me if it takes a few seconds or if it's instant.

I think i might be on to something. My 2012 upgrade was recent, and so far all the file i am working on have been created with acad 2008. I wonder if i need to start a drawing from scratch in 2012? (which i do have one in the works but it's still pretty new)

I don't think starting from scratch will be necessary. It wouldn't to try a quick experiment though. Block an entire drawing into a fresh template and explode it. Then see if the same thing is happening.