• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jsdrftng

• RobDraw

• steven-g

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

select all the studs and do find replace, then hit esc. and tell me if it takes a few seconds or if it's instant.

I get a slight delay. Maybe a second.

Edited by RobDraw

Afraid I can't help with the answer, the regen looks to be built into the find command, this is just to confirm that I do see the issue with a slow regen time, 4-5 seconds sometimes longer, it is also a problem I used to face with drawings with large numbers of blocks, my only solution was to work with smaller drawings and then xref them into one master drawing, combining all the floor plans, but doing any editing in the individual drawings, another option is to freeze all the layers except the one you currently need, it's not ideal but it might just spare your sanity a bit.

That is your last resort.

I'm fairly certain that it is a setting somewhere but I'm out of ideas for now.

i really appreciate your time!

Afraid I can't help with the answer, the regen looks to be built into the find command, this is just to confirm that I do see the issue with a slow regen time, 4-5 seconds sometimes longer, it is also a problem I used to face with drawings with large numbers of blocks, my only solution was to work with smaller drawings and then xref them into one master drawing, combining all the floor plans, but doing any editing in the individual drawings, another option is to freeze all the layers except the one you currently need, it's not ideal but it might just spare your sanity a bit.

Yea, xref ing brings another list of issues for me and freezing then unfreezing would be fine except the time it takes to do that i could just let it think on the regen.

Do you ever use Find/Replace in your work? if so does it take the same amount of time? Seems like i shouldn't be the only one complaining about this (which makes me feel i'm doing something wrong)

I don't, but I do recognise the symptoms of the long regen time. My problem was if I made any selection of blocks and changed values of attributes in the properties then I had to regen in order to update the blocks values, for a couple of dozen it was fine, but over a hundred blocks and it became annoying, 500+ had me pulling my hair out.

Which reminds me - do you use fields in your drawing, in text or block attributes, that was actually one of my issues I needed fields to update, and that can be turned off, so that they don't get updated until you actually save a drawing, probably a long shot but who knows.

maybe that's what i will have to do, it just seems backwards to me that a newer autocad product hinders functionality. I can open the same file in 08' on a machine with a 32 bit OS with a fraction of the memory and it's smoother.

just seems strange

maybe that's what i will have to do, it just seems backwards to me that a newer autocad product hinders functionality. I can open the same file in 08' on a machine with a 32 bit OS with a fraction of the memory and it's smoother.

just seems strange

That's why I think it is a setting somewhere.

It's a horrible task but checking all the variables between the two versions might show up one of them has had the default value changed, there was a change somewhere between 2005 and 2013 that threw me some problems, and that is how I finally traced it, I just can't remember what the variable was, (and it wasn't this problem)

I didn't read the entire topic, so forgive me if this was already covered.

Is the Properties palette open or closed. QuickProperties?

no (and i know exactly what your talking about, this causes a slight lag when open sometimes which is exactly why i keep it closed)

It's a horrible task but checking all the variables between the two versions might show up one of them has had the default value changed, there was a change somewhere between 2005 and 2013 that threw me some problems, and that is how I finally traced it, I just can't remember what the variable was, (and it wasn't this problem)

so, i imported my system variables from 08' and no dice. That was a sweet suggestion though.

here's the thing, comparing the actual regen time from 08 to 12, they are about the same. it takes the same time to regen the same file, difference is 08 doesn't force a regen after find like 12 does.

Although it probably won't save any time in the long run, if you want to be doing something instead of waiting try using ISOLATE to reduce the number of objects displayed before FIND. It can make REGEN pretty snappy, now you just have to find something to do while UN-ISOLATING ;)

In reference to a previous question, automatic regen also happens in 2015 and it takes about the same time in 2015 as it does in 2012 using your drawing the benchmark.

In reference to a previous question, automatic regen also happens in 2015 and it takes about the same time in 2015 as it does in 2012 using your drawing the benchmark.

if that's the case, then i probably just need to figure another way of working so that i don't use the find/replace command.

:sigh: it worked so well for so long, i guess i just need to get smarter in autocad.

here's the thing, comparing the actual regen time from 08 to 12, they are about the same. it takes the same time to regen the same file, difference is 08 doesn't force a regen after find like 12 does.

Somehow, I missed or ignored this. I think you should take a closer look at changing your workflow to cut down on file size or get an extreme machine.