Question about Multiple layouts with same title block

JD1371

Hi all.

I am trying to improve my efficiency with our drawing time. One way I can speed up the process is to fill out the title block on one layout and for it to appear the same on the other layouts. My problem is getting it to happen, so I hope someone can help me out.

I have the title block set up with attributes, and although the Gatte command works it is not quite what I am looking for. I have set up fields, customized drawing properties, and tried to set up sheets in the manager. Either I am missing a step or going about it the wrong way.

Can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Can you use title block as an xref in all layout.

Create a seprate file for titleblock and So if you change it, it will update in all layout, if used as xref.

If all layouts are in one drawing, you can use block also.

My title block/border is a Block inserted in paperspace, which of course is inserted on layout01 renamed to A0.01 in my template drawing. If I ever have to change the titleblock linework, I do it in the template dwg file since it is never a good idea to retro-change even the border line on a drawing that has approval signatures on the hard copy. Change the wrong xref and it happens.

The text items that can change are all attributes, like the client name, project name, job number, etc. All that is updated in the block editor (or Attedit, Attsync) for a new project on day one. My title block is very simple in that I only use one self updating field, "CurrentSheetTittle" for my page numbering, in the block. I then name my layout tab (CurrentSheetTitle) whatever I want the page number to be. Once I have the first layout tab set up, I simply use the right click "Move or Copy" option to create another layout tab, once the new tab is renamed, I'm done.

I could also make the block it's own drawing and use it as an xref in paperspace. I still would need a separate copy of it stored in each project folder, so the only thing the xref saves me is drawing size while I am working. I have yet to hit more than 2 meg in a 20 page set of house plans, so I use the dwg specific block rather than chasing multiple titleblock.dwg files.

The method I use is to have the title block in model space, and any information relating to the whole project is contained in attributes in the title block, I then have a viewport in each paperspace layout that is positioned correctly, all our company title blocks are the same size no matter what sheet of paper is used so the same sized viewport is contained in each layout. Any data that relates just to each layout is in an attributed block on each layout and positioned to line up with the title block.

Hi all.

I am trying to improve my efficiency with our drawing time. One way I can speed up the process is to fill out the title block on one layout and for it to appear the same on the other layouts. My problem is getting it to happen, so I hope someone can help me out.

I have the title block set up with attributes, and although the Gatte command works it is not quite what I am looking for. I have set up fields, customized drawing properties, and tried to set up sheets in the manager. Either I am missing a step or going about it the wrong way.

Can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction?

Thank you.

I made a video tutorial a few years back that can help you achieve exactly what you're wanting to do:

Hope this helps. :)

If you copy a layout obviously you get the title block filled in ?

I took a different approach and have a few lisps that fill in all the attribute details, like moving a sheet or inserting between it re-does sheet number etc. The next step for this is to search the layout for key words and auto add to title block attribute. jobxx Cross sections etc.

I also have a dwg index that reads all layouts if anyone wants it post or PM this is next step after creating layouts it is posted here.

Have you considered using custom fields? That way you modify it in your drawing properties once, and regen to update all instances.