Annoying hover over viewport with VIEWBSE command

PGuatney

Hello all,

Is there a way to toggle off the VIEWBASE command viewport? When I am working in Paper Space and adding part balloons, notes, dimension, etc. the viewport created with VIEWBASE lights up whenever I hover over it to select something else. Usually I end up selecting the viewport instead my intended object laying over the top of it. Its distracting with a huge assembly.

Thanks in advance with any advice.

PG.

The viewports are on their own layer that doesn't print, right? Just turn the layer off until you actually do need to select the viewport. You don't need it to be on an "ON" layer for it to work.

Dana, I don't think what I am talking about is on any layer. If you hover over say a Dimension line, it will turn to a dashed line so you know you can select it. Same thing is happening with my assembly using VIEWBASE. However, whenever my cursor travels over the assembly, the whole assembly turns to dashed lines with a dashed line border around the entire view as if to select it. My solid model assembly isn't one entity, it is made up of many, so individual parts don't light up, the entire assembly does. (All if this is in Paper Space, of course) So, picking a centerline or dimension line I have just drawn ( In Paper Space, over my VIEWBASE created view) is very difficult because ACAD wants to pick my entire assembly instead of the dimension line I am aiming for. If there was a way to keep my entire assembly from "Lighting up" when I mouse over it, I'd be able to select part balloons, dims, centerlines, etc. As it is now, I often erase my VIEWBASE view accidentally many times during the annotation process of my drawing. UNDO brings it right back, but I sure think I am selecting something other than my view. I can window around something and all is fine, but selecting individual entities over a VIEWBASE view is a problem.

I'll try to upload a screenshot of this......If I am savy enough to accomplish that..

PG

OK, I had to use my phone to take a picture. I need a teenage kid to tell me how to do that. Maybe you can see the dashed lines over the objects. My assembly, not the dims.

ACAD VIEWBASE.jpg

Yes, you and Dana are talking about two entirely different things. Dana is referring to layout viewports; you are not.

I have been unable to come up with a way to prevent what you are experiencing from happening and have yet to find a suitable answer elsewhere. Tested using AutoCAD 2015.

Edited by ReMark

I thought that's what was meant by "the viewport created with ..." I guess that wasn't it.

Try this, it's straight from the F1 key. "During the VIEWBASE command, instead of choosing the default "Entire model", select the model geometry directly with the cursor pickbox."

Beats me, I just noticed you are using an entirely different pile of software than I am.

If you don't want the Drawing View to highlight when the cursor passes over it, change SELECTIONPREVIEW = 2 at the Command Line or in Options > Selection tab.

If you don't want the Drawing View border to be visible at all, put the Drawing View on it's own layer and VP Freeze that layer.

Sorry about that.... I used both. the VP freezing and Section Preview in the options dialog box. You have to use both to accomplish what I want. Now, if I hover over the model in Paper Space, it does nothing. If I select it, it lights up. Exactly what I needed. Also, no outline around the "Viewport" whenever I hover over it. I guess it is a viewport. It is automatically generated when I use the VIEWBASE command and it is put on a "VPORTS" layer.

Thanks for the lesson. I have been using ACAD almost daily since 1987! How did I not know this? Us old-timers still type "L" for line and "E" for erase, "O" for offset, etc. I stay away from a lot of what AutoCAD has as options. But since I do a lot of solid modeling and rendering these days, I am forced to learn all the options. Here is an example of a render I created last night. always something to learn.

Thanks again.

SHOWER VIEW 3.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification... I was hoping one of the ideas might help... never figured both would. LOL Nobody knows everything about AutoCAD, I learn new stuff everyday and there are some features I don't know anything about, Render being among them. Seeing your example, I'm likely to shoot you a PM if I ever step into that realm... that looks pretty impressive.

Sorry about that.... I used both. the VP freezing and Section Preview in the options dialog box. You have to use both to accomplish what I want. Now, if I hover over the model in Paper Space, it does nothing. If I select it, it lights up. Exactly what I needed. Also, no outline around the "Viewport" whenever I hover over it. I guess it is a viewport. It is automatically generated when I use the VIEWBASE command and it is put on a "VPORTS" layer.

Thanks for the lesson. I have been using ACAD almost daily since 1987! How did I not know this? Us old-timers still type "L" for line and "E" for erase, "O" for offset, etc. I stay away from a lot of what AutoCAD has as options. But since I do a lot of solid modeling and rendering these days, I am forced to learn all the options. Here is an example of a render I created last night. always something to learn.

Thanks again.

Wow, I like that render, and the carpentry detailing.

I really like that it is not overexposed, and a bit mysterious,

looks like a very well executed painting.

It makes one want to see more, rather than less.

You can see the toilet, but it doesn't wind up feeling like

a picture of a toilet.

It piques the viewer's interest, which is always a good thing.

Nestly usually comes up with very succinct fixes and wonderful videos.

Don't feel bad, VIEWBASE functionality was only introduced in 2012,

so there are lots of folks who have never had occasion to use, let alone master it. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

... the VP freezing...
:rofl: Only, turning it off like I said to do, would turn off everything on that layer, everywhere. VP freeze only turns the layer off in that view, on that one layout.

That is a real nice render, and it does not look like one. It pretty much looks like a photo of the real thing. One thing, the triple light fixture is a tiny bit bright, I thought it was a hole. I don't know render, and I don't mean to criticize. I just mentioned it to find out what one could do to get the fixture more "visible" without darkening or brightening the room too much. Wouldn't want to lose the "softness" of the scene either.

I might hazard a guess that upping the ambient and downing the fixture would be a way. I really don't know. I don't even have 3D training or experience. Just talking off the cuff.

Yeah, that triple fixture is a problem for me also. I didn't mess with it much because my customer was chomping at the bit for the pictures of her new bath. First I had attached "Frosted white glass" to the solid and messed with it too long to make it look like frosted white glass.... then attached luminescent white from the glass materials menu, as is. I could probably turn down the intensity of those 3 lights. I think I have them at 20 now. If I did, I could see the detail in the frosted white globe. Actually, I want them to be frosted white for 1/2 of the thickness and then sort of green/clear and reflective for the rest of the thickness of each globe. That would really boost the detail and pick up some "sparkle" for the edges of the glass. Also boost my file size! Yea! ACAD already hates bouncing the speckled ONXY shower material off the glass shower door and reflecting the whole mess into the varnish. I am kinda already asking for a miracle. I'm surprised my laptop hasn't burst into flames during the "Presentation" mode render.

I will work on the globes and keep you updated.

Yeah, that triple fixture is a problem for me also. I didn't mess with it much because my customer was chomping at the bit for the pictures of her new bath. First I had attached "Frosted white glass" to the solid and messed with it too long to make it look like frosted white glass.... then attached luminescent white from the glass materials menu, as is. I could probably turn down the intensity of those 3 lights. I think I have them at 20 now. If I did, I could see the detail in the frosted white globe. Actually, I want them to be frosted white for 1/2 of the thickness and then sort of green/clear and reflective for the rest of the thickness of each globe. That would really boost the detail and pick up some "sparkle" for the edges of the glass. Also boost my file size! Yea! ACAD already hates bouncing the speckled ONXY shower material off the glass shower door and reflecting the whole mess into the varnish. I am kinda already asking for a miracle. I'm surprised my laptop hasn't burst into flames during the "Presentation" mode render.

I will work on the globes and keep you updated.

Oh, no need to keep me updated. You have already ventured way beyond my understanding in this explanation. I'll just wait, and maybe see how it comes out.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy.