Engineering bands

derklauer

I have an alignment and a separate text document consisting of x,y,z, description. The description is off events along a pipeline (i.e. anode, field joint, etc). Are there any good tutorials on how to generate an engineering band along a profile with this information. The ACAD civil 3d 2015 tutorial in the manual is not sufficient.

I frequently use data bands within Profile View, to show existing, and proposed alignment elevations at major, and minor stations, but am confused as to what you mean by 'separate external document consisting of x,y,z description'... 'what' specifically is being described in this document, and how did it come to be exported from the model into a separate document? What is the purposed of this?

Cheers

A different software package handles events, and are all merged at the end.

Again, it's kind of hard to help when you're intentionally being so ambiguous.

What software package?

What 'events' are you talking about for a Civil drawing?

Merged what data into what format (you've neglected to post any drawing or text file samples)?

Remember, we're all volunteers here; instead of anticipating that we'll start from scratch to help you with such a specific set of conditions, why not help us to help you? :thumbsup:

Cheers

The program I am bringing pipeline event data out of is naviedit in the form of xyz, description while I have a separate navigation file of the pipeline location. I've plotted the pipeline route and made profiles. If I bring in the event data as survey points is there a linear refrencing tool that will alow me to quickly bring in the data as a band in the existing profile?

The program I am bringing pipeline event data out of is naviedit in the form of xyz, description while I have a separate navigation file of the pipeline location. I've plotted the pipeline route and made profiles. If I bring in the event data as survey points is there a linear refrencing tool that will alow me to quickly bring in the data as a band in the existing profile?

I still have no idea what 'events' you're talking about... 500 year flood events? *not sure*

If you've been able to import your 'xyz' data as COGO Points, simply connect the dots with a Feature Line, and offset sufficient that you can create a new Surface, and Alignment, from which you can derive a [Vertical] Profile and superimpose that into the target Profile View, placing it on a layer that is no-plot, and then have the Band reference _that_ Profile's 'data'.

Cheers

In my industry events are position fixes taken along a feature. In this case it is a pipeline so events are: anodes, buckles, field joints, etc.

I'm evaluating the software, and discovered that C3D defines large data sets as corridors over 9.3 miles or exceeding 1 million points, will result in reduced performance...I am exceeding both. Your suggestion might work with another XREF.