What is your CAD Learning Experience?

JessicaCAD

Trial & error (mostly error) via the self-learning method.

AutoCAD 1-day seminar.

AutoCAD 2 & 3 day class.

2 day seminar by an authorized AutoCAD training company.

Online courses.

Local community college courses.

Participation here at CADTutor with a little help from other forum members.

Satrt by crawling using very basic commands L A T PL C I, then walk add to your command knowledge, then run start exploring the extra functionality of commands, followed by explode out of the blocks years of mistakes.

I ordered an old text book (for AutoCAD 2010) from a website called bookholders.com

They are usually pretty cheap and have great resources that you can purchase. The AutoCAD 2010 book cost me $0.05 (shipping not included) and was in great shape!

no training, was OK at opening AutoCAD but that was the limit. got a job doing CAD fulltime & let my employer take the hit.

when i was OK at it, went self-employed :)

doing something else now, but happily involves CAD on an (almost) daily basis. i use it to relax when i'm having a bad day.

Hi ReMark, thank you for the reply! Out of these method, which of these you see most effective and which the least? and is there anyways you thought process can be improved? I am trying to think of what is the best way to deliver the right content to the right people at the right time, so people can act upon this help right away. Could you fill this out so I can have your email addres and follow up with you? thanks much! http://goo.gl/forms/pcV9r06vga

no offense, but i went to do your survey. twice:

i didn't really want to give my email

i don't mind ticking boxes, but i don't really wanna do too much thinking/typing. & the question was too general.

.....so there wasn't much left to fill in.

i suggest you continue with the thread & strike up some conversations with some forum members.

Please do not post duplicate threads as it is not only confusing to follow the course of the conversation but it is also annoying.

You should consider redesigning your survey.

Edited by ReMark

Sorry but I am not going to fill out your survey nor will I provide you with my email address. I have no idea who you are, what your background is, and what exactly you are going to do with the information provided.

If you are doing this as part of a course of study please provide us with the name of your professor and a means of contacting him/her for the purposes of verification. Thank you.

Hi there,

I am doing a project on learning how people learn complicate CAD tools like autoCAD, and then think of ways to improve this process. If you have 20s, and want to help out, here is a link to the sign up/survey

http://goo.gl/forms/pcV9r06vga

thanks a lot in advance.

:D:D:D

I am beginning to smell something. The general, very broad nature of the questions, no Contact or ID info offered, and nearly duplicate posts 24 hours apart are beginning to look like some sort of fishing expedition.

Hi Mikekmx,

That's totally fine for not sharing the email. and you are right, the question is very general, since I find it really hard to ask NOT LEADING questions on people's experience of learning. I have some friends use AutoCAD alot and even when I do get them on the phone to ask questions, I find it hard ask the right questions. I am guessing the right question would be " how do you go about learning autocad?" " Can you walk me through a time when you had a chanllenge/unknown with the tool, and how you go about solving that problem"? and depends on what they answer I drill down more. So I come to realize it is hard to do it in the forum format.

thanks for those who responded to the survey, and I think I will continue my research via friends/ people I can talk to directly. thanks again for your help!

Hi ReMark,

Yeah, I post the question again in the beginner section and got moved here ( now I don't know how to delete it either). Me as newbies didn't know the rules of not posting same questions in two different sections, i was hoping to get some beginners input as well as they are fresh in the learning curve.

I will take another shoot at redesigning the survey as your suggested. ( email is optional of course : ) )

Appreciate your time and help so far!

Lucy