Chromium object has no metallic luster, does not look realistic at all.

turboCAD

Hello!

I am trying to make this chromium object look realistic but am not succeeding .

It has no metallic luster, it looks like a cartoon.

What should I do?

Thank you!

tun2.dwg

Did you apply a material?

It might help if you had more than one light source, maybe place the object on something (a tile?) and include a background. Then there is the whole matter of adjusting the various settings available like reflectivity, transparency and self illumination just to name three.

Reflectivity but it seems like I don't have it:

noReflectivity.jpg

I have seen in a post on another forum that on the "materials editor" Reflectivity and other options should have appeared but they don't.

Why?

Thank you, ReMark, I think reflectivity would do the trick but I cannot find it.

I did apply Chrome Polished.

EDIT:

Chrome Polished doesn't have Reflectivity adjustment; it is a predefined material

Other materials have those options, for example Chrome Satin 1.

Ok, now back to working on reflectivity.

I also am using 3 light sources set to 7500K

Boy, it sure made a difference!

Thank you so much, ReMark!

This is not the first time you have helped me so, sincerely, thank you very much for all your help!

Materials like this which are metallic or highly reflective are dependent upon their environment and surrounding elements. Switch your Background to Sun and Sky and render again. I placed a sphere next to your object and applied the same Chrome material. Then I switched to the sun and sky background. See the difference?

Render.jpg

turboCAD: If anything I said helped you it was purely accidental.:shock: Listen to a real expert like Cad64. Unlike me he knows what he is doing.

Thanks ReMark. You were on the right track though, about the environment and background and everything. Reflective materials need something to reflect. If you just have a single object floating in an empty blank white atmosphere the material has nothing to work with so it just appears flat.

Hello, again!

I apologize for not having replied sooner.

Thank you, Cad64, I shall try your suggestion tomorrow morning at work.

That sphere looks really nice, reflecting the sun like that.

By the way,

even though I set up the central electrode to cast no shadows, it still casts two shadows(I have 3 flashlights ).

And another thing:

I have a solid object with no material attached that casts its color on other objects(I think that is also related to reflectivity).

How could I change a solid object's light emitting properties when it has no material attached?

Thank you !

Good night!

Having read this

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?33785-Why-oh-why-can-t-I-turn-on-the-sky

I turned the sky and Sun on and got a very dark image.

I had changed my background to white because I wanted to save the rendered region image (saveimg) and print it on paper. Now, with sky and Sun on , using perspective view, everything is very dark; not much is understood from the picture.

It would be nice if there were a way to render the Paper space image because working with a white background is very tiring for my eyes even though I use minimum brightness.

I cannot yet upload my drawing .

When time will permit it, I shall look deeper into this because the more I know the more I can use from what Autocad has to offer.

Thank you very much for your replies !

Hello, again!

I could not solve the mixing of reflexions so please help me:

on the two electrodes I get pink and blue.

How ho i turn it off?

in other words, I want the objects to cast their light only to the viewer and not on one another: the pink object and the blue panels must not cast their color on the electrodes

but only to the viewer.

So no color interferences.

Can that be done?

Thank you!

cadtut.dwg

I'm on my lunch break, so I'm looking at your file now. The problem with AutoCAD is that it does not have a lot of options when it comes to materials and rendering. It's all very basic. I don't know of a way to tell the chrome material to ignore the pink and blue object reflections. What I would probably do is render the objects separately, save them as .tiff format (32 bits + Alpha), and then combine and edit them in Photoshop. Sorry but I don't know of any other way to do this in Autocad. Maybe someone else will have a better idea?

Edited by Cad64

I thought of that as well but I also thought of rendering them one layer at a time , under the same lights and then superimposing the objects: first render only the electrodes, then the pink stuff, then the blue objects and then combine the photos the condition being that my rendering window must be exactly the same size otherwise their proportions will alter.

Is there a way of predefining the size of the rendering window (without rendering everything so use the 'render region' option but have a 400x400 pixels area )? hmm...I'll draw a square in which the ensemble is centered and will be careful not to touch the zoom button while I turn on/off different layers.

Ok, this sounds like it might work... so, tomorrow morning I will do just that.

No, I'll try it right now!

Is there a way of predefining the size of the rendering window (without rendering everything so use the 'render region' option but have a 400x400 pixels area )? hmm...I'll draw a square in which the ensemble is centered and will be careful not to touch the zoom button while I turn on/off different layers.

Set up a camera.

Another thing to consider: when trying to make something look realistic, it's very difficult to do this when you have no other objects in your model. Your object is "floating" in 3D space with literally nothing else and this does not simulate reality. To be more realistic you need to add in existing conditions to your model so the light can better interact with your rendering.

Make sure Final Gathering and Global Illumination is On in doing this.