2014 paper space /viewports in metric cant scale correctly !

eloid

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• eloid

• ROBP

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 meters cross -section which I want use 1:100 scale in my viewport
The drawing you posted is in imperial units, inches and feet. the entire contents of modelspace is 9.5 inches wide and about 20 inches high. Decimal is not a unit type, it is a display method.

how can I change it ???? the orginal file has a ton of detail ( which was removed from this file) is there a easy way to move this file to metric format

how can I change it ???? the orginal file has a ton of detail ( which was removed from this file) is there a easy way to move this file to metric format

Only a known accurate dimension compared to the one in the drawing in order to determine exact scale amount increase of it all.

Even scaled dim can be off if drawing was not drawn to their live dims.

Good luck

I checked the dimensions in your cross section chart and they work accurately after I fixed that version.

First thing to do is to save the original drawing as something like TEST_original name.dwg just in case something goes wrong. Use that test copy to do the following.

Run the -DWGUNITS command. Note the hyphen, it's important. As the command prompts you, give it the answers just as I did in the attached image. The image is a copy of the F2 list window. You may want to hit the F2 key to run this command. Just in case you can't read the image, I have pasted the list of commands and responses below.

Command: -DWGUNITS

Loading AEC Base...

Loading AEC Base Extended...

Loading AEC Core...

Drawing units:

1. Inches

2. Feet

3. Millimeters

4. Centimeters

5. Decimeters

6. Meters

Unit for length : 3 or 6

Drawing unit display formats:

1. Scientific

2. Decimal

Linear display format : 2

Linear display precision : 4

Scale objects from other drawings upon insert? [Yes/No] :

Match INSUNITS to drawing units? [Yes/No] :

** WARNING: you have changed the unit for this drawing database. **

** All new objects will be drawn according to the new unit, but **

** existing objects will not change size unless you specifically **

** ask to have automatic scaling occur. **

Scale objects in current drawing to reflect change in units? [Yes/No] : y

Include objects in Paper Space? [Yes/No] : y

Scaling the entire database...

Scaling AecDbObject(s)...

Scaling entities in Model Space...

Scaling entities in Paper Space...

Scaling entities in Paper Space...

Command:

Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or

[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] :

Regenerating model.

Command: Right here is where it is finished.

-DWGUNITS.jpg

Edited by Dana W

Only a known accurate dimension compared to the one in the drawing in order to determine exact scale amount increase of it all.

Even scaled dim can be off if drawing was not drawn to their live dims.

Good luck

I checked it, it is exactly 25.4 times too small, so it will scale up accurately.

It just occurred to me that this drawing might need to be in meters, and not millimeters. It is a road profile, right? By the way, the profile chart is drawn (as it should be) in different scales for the x and y axis, which is fine. horizontally the dimensions read spot on, but vertically, it is at half size. In other words the vertical dimensions read twice what they are drawn at.

If you determine that the drawing does have to be in meters rather than millimeters, the only thing that changes from what I showed above when you run -dwgunits is for you to select meters from the prompt list rather than millimeters, number 6 instead of number 3.

Im totally confused how to make a new metric drawing ...units in meters, such that its viewport is scaled 1:100 and printed 1:1 on the standard 8x10 paper

can someone post a simple file?

in your above attachement...... your showing the correct selection I should be making per line?
Yes, simply type -dwgunits in the command line. You will be asked for either Y or N or a numeric selection at each prompt. It is quite easy. AutoCad does all of the scale corrections for you. The only difference, like I said above, is when asked for the UNIT FOR LENGTH, if you need the drawing to be in meters select 6, rather than 3 for millimeters, or 1 for inches, etc. The command prompts you one line at a time and will not continue on until you respond. You will have plenty of time to look up the answers to the prompts and see how I responded to the prompt. If you come to a prompt that does not need changing, either type the same one already there, or hit enter without typing anything.

Be sure to open the command window, F2 key, so you can see the entire list of selections available for each prompt before you execute -dwgunits.

Once again, protect the original drawing by saving it as TEST-something.dwg, then make all the changes to the TEST copy. Once you are happy with it, SAVE AS again, back to the original drawing name, which will overwrite the original dwg file. You do not want to lose the original one if something goes wrong. The only question that remains is whether the drawing should be in meters or millimeters, at least in my mind. I don't do a lot of civil work, so I am not sure which you want to use, but I can't imagine drawing something 20 meters long in millimeters. It doesn't really matter if you get the wrong unit the first time. There is no limit to how many times you can run -dwgunits to change the units to something else.

First. Start with a METRIC template. Try acadiso.dwt for starters.
At this point, that would be for the next new drawing. This one is already full of weeks of work, and the only thing wrong with it is that it is drawn in inches.

today was the ddunit party day

next........

Yes it was, and I completely misunderstood the other OP due to the language barrier, not in quality, but in quantity. We were both speaking English, but not enough of it.

Im totally confused how to make a new metric drawing ...units in meters, such that its viewport is scaled 1:100 and printed 1:1 on the standard 8x10 paper

can someone post a simple file?

OK, OK, take a deep breath, have a beer or something. I know it seem overwhelming, mostly because you are feeling the pressure to get the job done. We've all been there, in deep Kim Chi.

No, we can't post a file. Without your drawing in it, already fixed, it would be useless. What's more, you can't simply copy your drawing to one that is already set up properly. Your stuff will still be out of scale, with nothing gained. You have to go through it one step at a time. There is no other choice.

Remember, your drawing is ok, it is just 25.4 times too small for millimeters, or 2540 times too small for meters. Not a total cluster fudge.

Don't worry, you can't wreck it. You will be processing another copy of the original. Besides, there is always the famous OOPS command, or close the TEST drawing without saving if you think it gets hosed up and start from the top.

The -dwgunits command, actually a utility sub-program, will re-create your drawing in the correct units for you. Then, all you have to do is go to paperspace and assign the scale you need to the existing viewport. It is really very simple, and only takes minutes. You mostly sit back and wait about 9 seconds for it to calculate and rescale everything. You have to do almost nothing beyond typing a handful of characters.

I don't know your level of experience, but I assume you are fairly new to AutoCad, so I made my instructions as simple and as thoroughly detailed as I can, as though you were in CAD class on day one.

Here's a trick below we all use to get what we want to see in the viewport in the right position to start with. Before you do this, be sure to zoom so the entire viewport fits on the display screen. Otherwise the viewport might maximize and fill the display, but that would only be temporarily annoying, not a disaster.

Activate the paperspace tab.

Double click inside the viewport (or type mspace ). Now your cursor is in modelspace, through the viewport.

Zoom and pan around until you find the portion of your drawing you want in the viewport.

Now type Z(oom), then W(indow). click the corners of a window around the part you need, so that portion will zoom up to fill the viewport when you click the mouse button.

Now type pspace or double click anywhere in paperspace outside of the viewport. You are now back in paperspace.

Select the viewport frame. You have the Annotation scales list accessible on the task bar right? If not, open properties and change the annotation scale there, and the Standard scale, if it does not automatically change when you set the anno. scale.

Pick 1:100 off the scales list.

If the drawing zooms too big change it to 1:120, or smaller until it does fit. If it seems too small, make the scale larger. The idea is to use the largest possible scale that will fit your object into the viewport.

Now that you are happy with the viewport, and before anything moves, like accidental zooming or panning, get the right click menu up while the viewport is still selected. Look for DISPLAY LOCKED and change it to YES. Now, no one can wreck the scale without unlocking it.

Open your drawing un model space and this one attached and copy your original in the model space attached then select all and scale it x 25.4

then erase all dims and redimension it in the new file. New file is preset in meters for the new dimensioning

Then go to the old paper space delete the viewport and copy the frame or cartridge if you have using copy with base point select lower right hand corner and paste at the lower right corner in the new tab layout in the new drawing.

Now if that dont help nothing will

Eloid, I went back to the -DWGUNITS instructions and BOLDED the only things you have to type in to make it work. Does it look easier now?

Edited by Dana W

ty for all the help gents .... I have no issues working in imperial environments.... but metric was more confusing to me.. I think I got it now.. tomorrows a new day...again ty... just need more practice

Open your drawing un model space and this one attached and copy your original in the model space attached then select all and scale it x 25.4

then erase all dims and redimension it in the new file. New file is preset in meters for the new dimensioning

Then go to the old paper space delete the viewport and copy the frame or cartridge if you have using copy with base point select lower right hand corner and paste at the lower right corner in the new tab layout in the new drawing.

Now if that dont help nothing will

/yup, that will work too, but Eloid will still have to scale it and replace the dimensions, and everything. -DWGUNITS takes all that and fixes it Automatically. Of course there may be some minor tweaks that have to be fixed like dimension style details, if there are any suffix or precision changes needed.

ty for all the help gents .... I have no issues working in imperial environments.... but metric was more confusing to me.. I think I got it now.. tomorrows a new day...again ty... just need more practice
Whatever gets the work done. I hope we helped.