When I edit horizontal texts, they suddenly become vertical. Why?

junehe

When I edit horizontal texts, they suddenly become vertical. Then I cannot to make them back to horizontal. Why? What can I do to avoid this? Thank you!

Do they return to vertical when you are through editing them?

Consider the screenshot from the SYSVDLG, which likely explains what you are seeing.

text rotates while editing.JPG

The highlighted item in the image simply says that the text editor rotates the text to horizontal so you can edit it without getting a stiff neck, and then it puts it back to vertical.

However, it is not supposed to rotate horizontal text to vertical, whether it leaves it there or not.

I think someone has rotated your entire view by 90 degrees. Are you in 2D or 3D? Is your ucs icon set with X left to right, and Y up and down, like it should be? If that's not the case, that would explain why the text goes vertical in the first place, but it should come back to horizontal.

What happens if you execute the regen command? Maybe your graphics card is being strained to maximum, and it can't regenrate the text image right away, because it is breathing too hard.

The highlighted item in the image simply says that the text editor rotates the text to horizontal so you can edit it without getting a stiff neck, and then it puts it back to vertical.

However, it is not supposed to rotate horizontal text to vertical, whether it leaves it there or not.

I think someone has rotated your entire view by 90 degrees. Are you in 2D or 3D? Is your ucs icon set with X left to right, and Y up and down, like it should be? If that's not the case, that would explain why the text goes vertical in the first place, but it should come back to horizontal.

What happens if you execute the regen command? Maybe your graphics card is being strained to maximum, and it can't regenrate the text image right away, because it is breathing too hard.

As I was writing my earlier response, I started to opine that if checked in Properties, the text was likely rotated by 90 degrees.

I erased it, in the interests of brevity and clarity.

All that aside, I am inclined to agree with your assessment. :beer:

Hi

I think we have come across this before as well. It appears to be a known problem with older format .DWG's. Is this an older drawing i.e. ACAD 2008/9 version. Trying to recall what was done to rectify the problem. If I recall a simple refresh of the text style sorted out the problem. Maybe try redefining or changing the text style.