Flip action problem in a block

vaida

Hello,

I have a problem with a flip action in a block. I have attached cad file, so its easier to understand the problem. The more I ''flip'' the block, the more distorted it gets.

Could somebody tell me please what the problem is, cause I'm out of ideas :D

flip nonsense.dwg

My guess is that it has something to do with the basepoint and endpoint of your Flip parameter. Maybe your reflection line got skewed.

See if this works for you. Warning: Dynamic Blocks are not my strong suit.:ouch:

FlipWin.dwg

Well at least it does not get distorted in your version :) the thing is that I need to flip it at the base point, so the block keeps it when its flipped.

Thanks tough for help ;)

I'm all for no distortion so I'll take that as a win. Like I said dynamic blocks are not my strong suit. So what do you consider to be the basepoint? Pardon my ignorance but I did not bother to look for one.

no worries about ignorance ;) the base point is set to be at cross centre with number 5 under it. So it would be super great that it would stay in the centre of that cross even when the block is flipped.

The problem is with what you include in the selection set, if you take out the sideways parameters from the flip action then you can leave the base point as is. Flip is one of the more troublesome parameters (along with rotate) they are fussy about what they like to work with. You don't need to double up on your actions at the bottom of the block either. Attached is another version, but you will need to look at how the arc's are being stretched.

flip nonsense.dwg

I have managed to do that before, but the problem still stays as if you flip it and try to stretch, distortion of spacer bar top appears :/

You never mentioned anything about stretching the block in your initial post. You said the block distorted when it was flipped and asked if someone could help.

I'm a runner in your race but you keep moving the finish line. Not fair.

I have other block like this, but the difference is that its double glazed unit instead of triple, it has arches and it works perfectly with flip actions. So I don't really get why arches would be the problem in this one.

I'm not sure, but insert a block and flip it, then click and hold the horizontal grip and slowly stretch it to the right, the arc gets smaller instead of bigger, at 82mm total glass width the arc becomes a circle and then actually flips itself over then starts to get bigger. At a guess I would say that the flip action is making the arc mirror itself.

This should work now, it is definately the arc's, I checked a few things and when you flip an arc it actually rotates it 180° which means that the ends swap places (I have no idea why - but I will throw out a wild guess that it has something to do with how Autocad handels the normals in arc geometry), this is what is giving the problem. I changed the arc's into polylines and the block now works, hopefully as expected.

flip nonsense.dwg

• 6 months later...

Dear ReMark,

I am sorry to revive this post but I would really like to know how did you put a field in the text which update automatically without regen.

Thank you