HELP: How to prevent dimensions in a block from being mirrored?

vernonlee

I am putting some dimensions (annotative & non annotive) for objects within an existing blocks.

But those dimensions will be mirrored for existing block that is mirrored.

I tried MIRRTEXT as 1 & 0 & the dimensions is still mirrored.

I read that making text as an attribute will solve this but this is a dimension.

How to prevent dimensions in a block from being mirrored?

Any variable setting i can adjust?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vernonlee

• Dadgad

• Dana W

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you considered, or tried freezing the dimension layer?

I don't beleive there is a system variable based solution for this.

Have you considered, or tried freezing the dimension layer?

I don't beleive there is a system variable based solution for this.

But you carn't see the dimension when that layer is freeze.

Is there another type of freeze command?

You could just LOCK the dimension layer, that sounds like what you will want to do.

I am not sure why seeing them is so important while you are in the mirror command, as you don't want them to be affected, but ok.

After using the MIRROR command you would unfreeze the layer, and then likely copy your dimensions over.

Just LOCK them. :)

You could just LOCK the dimension layer, that sounds like what you will want to do.

I am not sure why seeing them is so important while you are in the mirror command, as you don't want them to be affected, but ok.

After using the MIRROR command you would unfreeze the layer, and then likely copy your dimensions over.

Just LOCK them. :)

Hi. I am not sure if i got you right.

I do my dimension within the blocks.

This blocks are actually doors & are scatted all over the drawings. Some are normal, some mirrored, some rotated.

So i need to be able to view this dimensions of those doors right side up

BTW thsi blocks are existing.

Thanks

Sorry, I misunderstood your problem, and thought the dimensions were outboard.

Can you post a sample block?

I can but am home for the weekend already. I will do it when back in the office on Monday.

I will try to see if i can emulate this block at my home. Just concern that my autocad is a different version & other variables may affect the outcome.

Will try now

Thanks

If you explode the block before using the MIRROR command, the dimension will be correct.

I exploded the red circled block before mirroring it down and across, where the dimensions are displaying properly.

explode the door block before mirroring.JPG

If you explode the block before using the MIRROR command, the dimension will be correct.

I exploded the red circled block before mirroring it down and across, where the dimensions are displaying properly.

Hi Dadgad.

Unfortunetly this is an existing drawings & are already drawn up as in there are about 300 door blocks of different type per storey. I am also not allowed to explode anything other than putting those dimension in.

Any advise?

When created the blocks could be defined to explode on insertion, so they would mirror correctly.

I just tried but was unable to come up with anything in the block editor that would do it.

Typically blocks like these use FLIP parameters instead of mirroring, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I am not conversant in creating dynamic blocks, only ever made a couple real simple ones.

Text objects, Dimensions, leaders, and attributes ignore the value of MIRRTEXT, even though it is set to 1, when the text objects are part of a block. MIRRTEXT is the system variable, that when set to 1 (default) will make text stay in non mirrored position even though they have been mirrored, UNLESS they are inside of a block. They are part of the block then. Think of a block as an image, rather than an editable set of geometry.

You'd probably much rather have this version of your door block, with two flip actions. Select it, and click the blue arrows to see the miracle :lol:. You may have to adjust the position after you flip it, but the text does not mirror.

Door dimension with two flips.dwg

When created the blocks could be defined to explode on insertion, so they would mirror correctly.

I just tried but was unable to come up with anything in the block editor that would do it.

Typically blocks like these use FLIP parameters instead of mirroring, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I am not conversant in creating dynamic blocks, only ever mad a couple real simple ones.

Well, aside from thoes blocks have already been inserted, typically our blocks have to remain as blocks so explode on insertion is not an alternative for me.

NP. Appreciated your help. :)

Text objects, Dimensions, leaders, and attributes ignore the value of MIRRTEXT, even though it is set to 1, when the text objects are part of a block. MIRRTEXT is the system variable, that when set to 1 (default) will make text stay in non mirrored position even though they have been mirrored, UNLESS they are inside of a block. They are part of the block then. Think of a block as an image, rather than an editable set of geometry.

You'd probably much rather have this version of your door block, with two flip actions. Select it, and click the blue arrows to see the miracle :lol:. You may have to adjust the position after you flip it, but the text does not mirror.

That's the ticket Dana, thanks as I didn't want to get sucked any further into this can of worms on a Saturday morning when I am supposed to be doing some woodworking around the house. :beer:

Just listen to Dana, Vernon, he's got you covered. :)

Thanks for the clarification & confirmation on the MIRRTEXT variable beheaviour in a block.

Thanks for the suggestion for having a dynamic block instead. I do have abit of exprience creating it.

But for this current assigment, those are just normal block & already all inserted.

Looks like i am out of luck

You can either save this block over the original block definition by doing a Save as in the block editor, or you can add the flip actions and the dimension to the existing block definition, or you can replace all the doors in the drawing with this block.

To add a Flip, first add a flip parameter to one of the straight lines you want the door to flip around, and then add a flip action to that flip parameter, select the objects in the block that you want to flip about that line, and done. Then do the same to the other straight line. Try not to place the flip arrows on top of each other.

If you have more than one size door, you will either have to build a block for each size, or you can apply an incremental polar stretch to the whole door block, the increments being one for each standard size of door. Make sure the dimension is included in the stretch frame, and the stretch objects.

That's the ticket Dana, thanks as I didn't want to get sucked any further into this can of worms on a Saturday morning when I am supposed to be doing some woodworking around the house.

Just listen to Dana, Vernon, he's got you covered.

Haha. Just started this assigment on Friday evening so only started asking today. :Po:)

Will close this chapter since autocad is built this way.

Happy weekend :fishing:

No problem Dana. Replacing the blocks even if just saving it over the existing is fine but I will still need to locate those individual door blocks & reflip/rotate those doors & they are about 300 per storey. We have at least 30 storey :sweat:

At most I can secretly set aside 1 hr to do this exercise but this is gonna take days.

Appreciate the advise though.

You can either save this block over the original block definition by doing a Save as in the block editor, or you can add the flip actions and the dimension to the existing block definition, or you can replace all the doors in the drawing with this block.

To add a Flip, first add a flip parameter to one of the straight lines you want the door to flip around, and then add a flip action to that flip parameter, select the objects in the block that you want to flip about that line, and done. Then do the same to the other straight line. Try not to place the flip arrows on top of each other.

If you have more than one size door, you will either have to build a block for each size, or you can apply an incremental polar stretch to the whole door block, the increments being one for each standard size of door. Make sure the dimension is included in the stretch frame, and the stretch objects.

Thanks for the clarification & confirmation on the MIRRTEXT variable beheaviour in a block.

Thanks for the suggestion for having a dynamic block instead. I do have abit of exprience creating it.

But for this current assigment, those are just normal block & already all inserted.

Looks like i am out of luck

You kept posting while I was typing.

You can add the flips and dims to the existing block definition, but they may not be oriented properly when the definition is saved. You'd probably have to re-adjust, or replace a bunch of them.

The boss always thinks this "simple stuff" is a piece of cake, doesn't he/she? My new boss thinks 20/20 Kitchen Design is a hot cutting edge piece of drafting software, and still doesn't get that it is not really a "drafting program", but more of a presentation generator. But I could go on for hours about that guy. Leave it to say he doesn't see why AutoCad takes all week to do a set of shop drawings when he can pop out a 3D Nurse's Station in a couple of hours with 20/20. >>shrug

I'd like to see him get a shop drawing approval from a real G.C. firm with those cartoons. His company is growing quickly, but his head is still stuck in small timeville. Thus me, new there. And there's a new operations manager/shop foreman there, since the 23rd. I guess he does know deep down that his rockstar status in a two man cabinet maker shop doesn't cut much cloth in the five star Hotel pool bar, Executive Golf retreat arena.

I don't know why I started ranting all of a sudden. Yes I do, it's been one of "those" days.

Vernon, if you open your PALETTES and look on the ARCHITECTURAL tab, I believe you will find a dynamic metric door block with all the parameters ready to go, as well as a few others which you might want to know about.

You could create a copy and edit it slightly, if you need to show 798, for instance as the block has incremental steps and one of them is at 800.

That was just by way of moving information around, use the one Dana did for you! :beer:

I just wanted to give you a heads up to the fact that you have a fair number of useful dynamic blocks included in your software. :)

Having avoided the slippery slope of starting to teach myself about creating dynamic blocks coming up lunch time on Saturday, here I still am!

Last Saturday I thought it was Friday and it wasn't until about 4:00 p.m., when responding to a I noticed what day it really was. The dangers of working at home, and waiting for our next tender to hit, and make us all super busy again! At least today, it is of my own doing, as I am fully aware that it is meant to be a day off. :|

check your architectural tool palettes for door blocks.jpg

Edited by Dadgad