Object Order, Display Order, Transparency?

EatingSteak

I am trying to assemble a few components. I'm drawing on a 2D Wireframe, and mounting some components on top of rails. See picture below

ord.PNG

Now, the red crossbars are at the back, with the white rails on top of them. The electrical blocks (blue w/ yellow text and red wiring) should be mounted on the (white) rails.

I want to hide the rail sections that are behind the electrical blocks, and hide all the crossbars that are behind a block or a rail. How do I do this? Ordering? Transparency? I have everything in different Layers currently, but I can change the Layering however I like

There is a command for display order. It is easily accessed from the right click shortcut menu.

Have you tried that and it's not working?

RobDraw,

Looks like I had the right-click menu disabled (somehow) in Prefs. I re-enabled it, now I see a "Draw Order", and I can send the rails and crossbars to the back, but they're still visible behind the other stuff.

Can I set them to be completely opaque even though technically they're only wireframes?

I'm using AutoCAD Mechanical 2014.

Applying the AutoCAD term "wireframe" to a 2D drawing can be confusing. The view style setting has no affect on 2D drawings.

If I understand you correctly, here are two ways to accomplish this:

Trim the lines - recommended

Use wipeouts - not recommended but can be done

I thought the command was "Display Order".

Applying the AutoCAD term "wireframe" to a 2D drawing can be confusing.

I thought the command was "Display Order".

I would probably just TRIM them too.

Display Order sounds more like how we use it, but in Autocad Vanilla the command is DrawOrder. :)

Edited by Dadgad

in Autocad Vanilla the command is DrawOrder. :)

Dam, bitten by that MEP bug again, but I agree, Draw Order doesn't describe it very accurately. It's actually a throw back command from the days of pen plotters. The objects would actually be drawn in the assigned order. Watching those plotters was quite mesmerizing.

If you do not want them visible then freeze or turn off the layers they are on, if you want them faded, then increase the transparency of the layer.

If you do not want them visible then freeze or turn off the layers they are on, if you want them faded, then increase the transparency of the layer.

and how does that help with having the desired part of the linework display as is?

Can I set them to be completely opaque even though technically they're only wireframes?

He said it was on separate layers, I wouldn't recommend trimming unless as a last resort.

For that he needs to use a solid hatch, there is also a LISP by Lee Mac, break blocks that will trim it, but I would use that as a last resort.

This is the second time you have tried to start something today, I'm getting tired of it.

You misinterpreted the other post. I explained that. Your problem, not mine.

This time, your solution did not solve the OPs situation. I questioned it. Problem?

BTW, trimming is a perfectly acceptable way of doing this. It is not a last resort for me.

If I had said SLW, you idiot, that doesn't solve the problem, then I would be starting something.

Start something? Not. I'm tired of you being so sensitive.

and how does that help with having the desired part of the linework display as is?

This certainly seems like a valid concern to me. :|

Cool heads prevail, let's all take a deep breath and go back to doing what we usually do so well. :beer: