Easy way to associate materials with layers?

Watson

Hola! Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place... I did search for this before posting, but didn't see anything relevant.

First of all, I'm an AutoCAD guy. I only know enough about Inventor to be very dangerous.

At the company I work for (manufacturing) the Design team (me) uses AutoCAD to create our space planning blocks. This is pre-sale activity. The Engineers model everything (post sales) in Inventor.

Occasionally I will be asked to draw something that is "just like that other thing we did," so I will open up Engineering's model of that thing and export to DWG to use from there.

For rendering and quoting we use a 3rd party software that manages information via layers. For example, a work surface face is on a specific layer, the edge is on a specific layer, the powdered components are on a specific layer, etc, etc...

When I export from Inventor, the DWG file is VERY detailed, down to the screws, but everything is on the "0" layer. This really sucks because I have to spend a ton of time dissecting the block in order to assign the correct layer information to every bit of geometry.

I noticed the other day though, that when I switched to a realistic or conceptual visual style, the freshly exported Inventor block retained all the sweet info... like it was showing details down to the grain direction of the surface.

My question to you guys, is if you know of an easy way to get that info converted to layer? Whether that be in CAD after I export or from within Inventor in my export. Ideally there's already an LSP or something similar that can do this in a button press.