Self Taught MEP Design Engineer

CAD_Works

Hello everyone,

I would like to have input of MEP guys here on this forum.

Basically I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2014. The types of jobs available here for this profession aren't great. They have nothing to do with designing.

I always had quite a bit interest in HVAC field and later four out MEP Design Engineer do what I want to do professionally.

Because of lack of opportunities here, I would like to become a self taught MEP Design Engineer so I can tackle engineering projects available on Freelancing websites. Within few year,s I believe I will be a cable engineer to apply abroad for fulltime.

My question to all, Do you know where I should start to understand hwo HVAC projects are designed? I have couple of HVAC handbooks and got software up and running. Planning to to tutorials on it.

I'm not a totally new to CAD as I have prior experience with solidworks but it seems Autodesk Revit is the mainstream software used in this industry.

Looking forward to replies.

Just an update. I managed to find some of HVAC books online but nothing like true 'designing guidelines" I can do the math like calculating the heat load, flow rate and such. With this information I can figure out the specification of the equipment required.

What I don't know is like

• duct design to use
  • location of in/out takes
  • arranging the duct angles and places when given 2D schematics of the 'room'

I want to focus only for small commercial residential places.

The areas of information you're looking for aren't abundantly available in books, online resources or tutorials. This knowledge is gained through "experience". In my opinion, you're going about this approach completely in reverse. You need to enter into the mechanical engineering market as a fresh new graduate with little to no experience. The proper name for this position in the United States is "EIT" or "Engineer In Training" and you'll start as a Level 1. Build up a resume and have a cover letter in place and start sending them out in your area or any area you feel comfortable moving to. The four big cities in the state of Texas fertile soil for opportunistic mechanical engineers.

As far as software goes, yes - the Revit platform is for mechanical engineers in the AEC industry. Autodesk Inventor and/or SolidWorks are the platforms is for mechanical engineers in the machine and manufacturing industry.

Hope this helps.

The areas of information you're looking for aren't abundantly available in books, online resources or tutorials. This knowledge is gained through "experience". In my opinion, you're going about this approach completely in reverse. You need to enter into the mechanical engineering market as a fresh new graduate with little to no experience. The proper name for this position in the United States is "EIT" or "Engineer In Training" and you'll start as a Level 1. Build up a resume and have a cover letter in place and start sending them out in your area or any area you feel comfortable moving to. The four big cities in the state of Texas fertile soil for opportunistic mechanical engineers.

As far as software goes, yes - the Revit platform is for mechanical engineers in the AEC industry. Autodesk Inventor and/or SolidWorks are the platforms is for mechanical engineers in the machine and manufacturing industry.

Hope this helps.

Yes I beginning to realize this. I'm starting to find out my engineering degree is useless in the country I live in. Only did it because I really love computers and using CAD programs. Only type of jobs available are sales engineers.

Just in a bad place :(

What country do you live in? Why not look to make a move to a surrounding country or even come to the US?

Moving and living the US is my dream. But as right now, companies giving sponsorship is a big issue and many don't. Not sure how the law works.

Got 'plan's to travel to the Middle East to try out my luck but not really looking forward to it. Considering the huge flux of job seekers there.

Only way out of this is to apply for Masters but the fees for international student is huge. The few scholarship are all taken by high achievers and I'm not part of that league.